CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
James Pond

Profile:
Proper Body Weight Gain?

What's up guys,

So recently, the last 2-3 months, I have gotten back into crossfit. I don't belong to a box right now I'm strictly garage and apartment gym (lots of dumbbells, medicine balls, pull-up bar, etc.) Well, I had a biometric screening at the end of October saying I was 154lbs and 5'11". The results told me that in order to stay the same body weight that I am with my lifestyle and metabolism I would need to eat about 2800-3000 calories a day. I have been wanting to gain weight and have failed for a long time. So I decided to count my calorie intake. I upped my calorie intake to around 3500-4000 calories a day. Needless to say I gained 10 pounds in about a 6 weeks. I have been reading on here that I should be eating 16+ calories per pound of body weight to gain weight? I want to get a little bigger and stronger, but not Rich Froning status lol. What's a good diet to consider? Right now I drink soda occasionally and candy almost never. I barely eat out and eat lots of nuts, fruits, chicken, tuna, peanut butter, etc. I have been trying to watch and reduce as much fatty and sugary foods out of my diet as well. Anyways, any input helps out a lot! Let me know if there's any more info that can I help you out with! Thank you!

-James
Old 12-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
James Pond

Profile:
Re: Proper Body Weight Gain?

And I drink lean protein shakes after almost every workout....
Old 12-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Sounds like you are progressing in the weight gain but what kind of weight are you gaining? Muscle? Fat? Some of both?

Finding that right point with your intake compared to your output will take time but if you log it and monitor your growth you can help pinpoint where you need to be.

When I was die hard like you seem to be I found that a 300-500 calorie difference each way every day could mean the difference between muscle gain and fat loss, muscle gain and no fat loss or gain, and muscle and fat gain.

300x7 = 2100 and 500x7 = 3500.

So at 3000 calories I gained muscle and lost fat. At 3300 I gained muscle and stayed the same on fat. At 3600+ calories I gained both. Below 3000 I didn't gain muscle as well and felt tired and fatigued (not enough calories). It took months to find this out through the gradual changes in my diet and constant workout routine.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:49 AM   #4
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

A novice can gain 2lbs muscle per month, a 4+ years trainee can only gain 2-3lbs per YEAR.

Adjust your calorie intake so you only gain muscle and not fat, how much is that intake? Trial and error as every person is different.

Set a daily calorie intake and measure each week, if you see increases based on upper numbers then you've hit a sweet spot, otherwise adjust.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
James Pond

Profile:

Okay right on. Yeah, I definitely notice a change when I don't eat AT LEAST 2800 calories, I'm tired and hungry throughout the day. But, if I eat around 3000 to maybe 3500 I notice a change in energy levels. I think that's my zone of gaining muscle and no fat loss. I'm already pretty lean, so I don't notice a whole lot of fat gain (I guess that can be a good thing) but I have notice muscle gain for sure. I assume anything above 3500-4000 calories for myself would be muscle and fat gain. It's kind of difficult for me to get up to that level just because I'm literally constantly eating all day. I'm eating lots of high calorie food and sometimes not the greatest stuff like pb+j's lol. But there's days where I'm almost forcing the food down to be able to get to that point. I guess what matters is that I am noticing a lot of strength gains and noticeable muscle gains. I just want to be sure that I'm properly dieting and not starving or over loading my body with food. What are some good foods you guys like to eat? Should I try and venture into other supplements other than protein?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
A novice can gain 2lbs muscle per month, a 4+ years trainee can only gain 2-3lbs per YEAR.

Adjust your calorie intake so you only gain muscle and not fat, how much is that intake? Trial and error as every person is different.

Set a daily calorie intake and measure each week, if you see increases based on upper numbers then you've hit a sweet spot, otherwise adjust.
Just a note, that is 4+ years of PROPER training, just hitting the weights for four years with a crappy plan is way different that a proper training regimen.

I agree with the rest with the exception that you will put on some fat when you put on muscle but if you work at it slower you should put on less fat. Also, OP, don't worry so much about what you eat, you will be getting plenty of protein if you are eating enough to gain weight, I would say a protein shake isn't really even necessary but you can still drink one of you want.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Last edited by Luke Sirakos : 12-19-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Double post
Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
James Pond

Profile:

Gotcha! Thank you I appreciate it! What are some good high calorie foods that you might recommend? I hear a lot of people saying to eat lots of eggs and chicken and whatnot but I get burnt out with that stuff sometimes. I just want to get some more options to choose from if that makes sense?
Old 12-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
James Pond

Profile:

Also, I've been reading about this whole "gallon of milk a day" thing...is that legit? I don't drink a bunch of milk usually other than with the protein shakes. If I were to increase my milk consumption everyday would that benefit me? I'm not trying to go full throttle and start slamming a gallon of milk every day lol. It's just not possible for me. Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

If you really love milk that could work. I prefer things like peanut butter myself. If you google things a bodybuilder eats for bulking you will probably be overwhelmed with options. The thing is, it really doesn't matter. If you can't hit your target with normal food have a protein shake with peanut butter and ice cream. You can even throw in a shot of olive oil and you will never taste it.