CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
The Rapid Fat Loss Diet - My Experience

Recently I decided to try out Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss diet in order to burn off some fat without having to diet for an extended period of time. Around a year ago I had lost a good amount of weight and have since maintained/added some muscle but I still wanted to be leaner. I knew I didn't want to diet for an extended period of time again so this seemed like the perfect solution and so I figured I would share my experience.

A little background for those unfamiliar with the diet, it is a modified PSMF. What does that mean? Well you eat a bunch of protein and basically nothing else. This puts you in a huge caloric deficit which allows you to burn a lot of fat very quickly and the protein helps to maintain as much muscle as possible. You are also allowed to eat fibrous vegetables but really nothing else. Meats need to be very lean and pretty much all added fats and carbs need to be eliminated. You are required to supplement with fish oil and some other basic supplements to ensure you are getting all of the nutrients your body needs.

I started the diet weighing in at 210 lbs at around 18% body fat and I decided to run the diet for three weeks. I did not have a single cheat day or meal but I did have two refeed days where you drastically increase carb intake to help with hormones and sanity. I lifted heavy with two full body workouts per week, they weren't as bad as I anticipated but I got drained rather quickly. I did structure my workouts so that one of my sessions would occur on the same day as the refeed in order to give me some extra energy and that definitely helped out a ton. Surprisingly, my strength actually increased. Not much but it certainly wasn't expected.

The first week and a half wasn't that difficult, the newness of everything along with seeing the numbers on the scale constantly drop made the food not so big of a deal. I was also supplementing with an EC stack which really helped with hunger. Towards the end though I was starting to really be ready for it to end. It took a ton of discipline to make it the full three weeks without cheating but in the end I am very glad I did. I felt like I really accomplished something and the results speak for themselves. I was taking creatine throughout so my body held onto more water than usual on a very low carb diet. My macros for the three weeks (refeed days excluded) averaged the following:

Protein - 210 g
Carbs - 26 g
Fat - 17 g

My final weigh in put me at 196 lbs for a total weight loss of 14 lbs and using calipers my body fat dropped to 14%. I am sure once I start eating more carbs I will gain weight in terms of water weight and I am completely ok with that. The plan going forward is to eat at maintenance for a while and enjoy some foods that I have missed and then eat at a moderate deficit to drop a few more pounds and get closer to 10%.

Some final thoughts, this diet is not fun with the exception of seeing the pounds fall off (that is fun). It is however, VERY effective. Of course, none of this matters if you cannot keep the weight off and since this is not meant to be a lifestyle in the slightest it is important that you have solid eating patterns established before and after or else the hard work could be completely nullified. Also, it would be a very poor choice to engage in CrossFit workouts during this time. You simply do not have the energy and workouts like longer metcons could be detrimental to maintaining muscle.

Anyways, hope some around here find this interesting, feel free to ask any questions you might have.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: The Rapid Fat Loss Diet - My Experience

How was the hunger like? Any issues sleeping?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

I did it for a month several years ago. It sucked. It sucked so bad that after just a few days I decided it would be easier to stick to if I just drank a scoop of whey in water 5 times a day--and that's what I did. I made it two weeks with no cheat, then ate a handful of grapes and did 2 more weeks. I lost 16 legitimate pounds. I can't recall what the water weight difference was. If I lost any muscle I couldn't tell in the mirror or the weight room. I had plenty of fat to lose though at that point.

I was craving everything. I was smelling food that wasn't there. I could taste imaginary food. It was bizarre. I didn't have the energy to workout for the most part. I didn't exactly do it right, but chicken and broccoli had me wanting to gag after a few days of it.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
How was the hunger like? Any issues sleeping?
Hunger wasn't bad at all the first week and a half and it also wasn't bad a couple days after each refeed. Other than that it was pretty noticeable at night probably because the EC had worn off and I didn't save a ton of food for the evening as I spaced things out pretty regularly.

My sleep was ok. It definitely has been better and I anticipate it will be better now that I am back to a more normal diet. It was weird, I was completely exhausted most nights but falling asleep was more difficult than normal. My last dose of EC was before 1:30 so it should have had plenty of time to wear off so I think it was more the diet than that.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rushbrook View Post
I did it for a month several years ago. It sucked. It sucked so bad that after just a few days I decided it would be easier to stick to if I just drank a scoop of whey in water 5 times a day--and that's what I did. I made it two weeks with no cheat, then ate a handful of grapes and did 2 more weeks. I lost 16 legitimate pounds. I can't recall what the water weight difference was. If I lost any muscle I couldn't tell in the mirror or the weight room. I had plenty of fat to lose though at that point.

I was craving everything. I was smelling food that wasn't there. I could taste imaginary food. It was bizarre. I didn't have the energy to workout for the most part. I didn't exactly do it right, but chicken and broccoli had me wanting to gag after a few days of it.
I can't imagine the hunger that you must have had from doing it just from protein shakes. I would have some carb free protein from time to time when I had some extra protein but it was pretty irregular.

And I totally get you on the cravings. The worst was watching live TV, I normally just watch things I have on the DVR but with the NBA finals and whatnot I would watch some live and it seemed like every commercial was for a food I couldn't have.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

That was my issue when I tried to cut on deficit. I always ended up in poor health, sleep was bad, lack of energy, etc.

So this year I decided to "cut" slowely and it seems to work fine, I even experience some gains.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Slowly is arguably the better way to go, I just didn't feel like dieting for 3-4 months to get to under 15% so while it was a bit of a beating I am happy I did it. Also, since it was such a short duration I think that some of the negative effects you might get from a prolonged deficit were reduced.

I am going to take it a bit slower on my way to 10%. Definitely going to take a little break from anything too intense and then I think I might give his Ultimate Diet 2.0 a run. The depletion workouts sound absolutely miserable but I think I would fare better on that than RFL because you get to eat more normally for part of each week.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #8
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Do you have a body fat caliper, I wonder?
Old 06-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Yep, I know it isn't perfect but it should at least give me a good enough approximation.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I can't imagine the hunger that you must have had from doing it just from protein shakes. I would have some carb free protein from time to time when I had some extra protein but it was pretty irregular.

And I totally get you on the cravings. The worst was watching live TV, I normally just watch things I have on the DVR but with the NBA finals and whatnot I would watch some live and it seemed like every commercial was for a food I couldn't have.
After the first week or so the hunger pretty much went away. The only good thing about 5 "shakes" a day is that you get one every few hours. Couple that with the loss of hunger pangs and it wasn't too terrible to get by. The part I describe as awful was just the food around me and in my head. And you're totally spot-on about the commercials. I had no idea how much food is marketed to us until I couldn't have it..lol.

I had no trouble sleeping, but I rarely do anyway.