CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: sfh recovery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glezer View Post
My thoughts exactly. And another point to consider is how much does "grass-fed" actually matter by the time whey is extracted from the actual animal and put into the bag?
Very little. The protein and nutritional value is destroyed in the processing.

Same is true for chopped and formed beef that companies are cleverly selling as grassfed beef jerky.

It's due to the increased surface area - the product is suddenly vulnerable to degradation. The more you play with the protein (i.e putting it through the tumbler or blending all the various parts of the cows into a ground meat) the more the moisture level increases, protein loss intensifies, and the full profile of aminos and omegas degrades.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Very little. The protein and nutritional value is destroyed in the processing.

Same is true for chopped and formed beef that companies are cleverly selling as grassfed beef jerky.

It's due to the increased surface area - the product is suddenly vulnerable to degradation. The more you play with the protein (i.e putting it through the tumbler or blending all the various parts of the cows into a ground meat) the more the moisture level increases, protein loss intensifies, and the full profile of aminos and omegas degrades.
Agreed, and this applies to different kind of proteins including the uber-respected Progenex which are hydrolyzed and even isolates. It's not a huge deal but something to take into consideration when comparing it to a whole milk protein which will typically yield more amino acids and other things like immunoglobulins naturally...
Old 10-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I bought a bag of SFH recovery in Vanilla and Chocolate. First and foremost I have to say the Vanilla tastes like sour vanili-milk. Most disgusting protein I have ever tasted. I need to get more coconut milk to mask the flavor.

Performance-wise I cannot really comment because I am only into it about a week. Bottom line though,for 60 bucks a bag-which equates to like, a million dollars a serving-it had better turn me into Rich Froning.

I will use up what I have and only consider using it again if I get it free or at least for the equivalent cost of other proteins I have used.

Between the local nutrition shop that is owned by a good guy, running a local business who takes good care of me and whatever protein Costco has if I am in dire need, I have to say my journey into boutique protein drinks will be a short one.

MF
Old 10-31-2015, 09:16 PM   #14
Iassen Donov

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Butera View Post
I just ordered the sfh recovery whey protein and was wondering if any one else out there has used this supplement, and if so how did it work for you. I have been reluctant to use any type of supplement, but I feel that a good protein will help me with my goals. I have been trying to stay away from anything with a lot of sugar, and sfh looked like a good choice. I currently weigh about 218 and I am trying to get down to around 200. I have been reluctant to start taking any type of supplement because in the past I have typically gained weight when taking anything with creatine in it. However my diet was definitely not on track then, and I feel that it is now. Any comments would be appreciated.

Don't bother. SFH is an even worse product than Progenex full of more BS gimmicks.

1) Its a supplemental facts label just like Progenex (you should be buying only "nutritional facts" labeled proteins).

2) They are not transparent as to who their dairies are in New Zealand. There is no reason for the confidentiality. Very very suspicious.

3) Their website claims Whey Protein Concentrate absorbs faster than Isolate. There is no way to look at that statement any other way than plain wrong. It goes against established science. SFH is the only popular protein out there that is 100% WPC. (WPC is an inferior product to WPI by leaps and bounds).

4) The A2 grass fed crap is a gimmick. Yes A2 grass-fed cow milk is probably AMAZING for you. But that is only if you drink it pure. The milk from these cows is pasteurized to separate the curds and whey. Most likely at a Fonterra plant. Then the whey is pasteurized a second time. All the good stuff that makes that original milk so damn good is destroyed 100%. Complete gimmick. Plus they aren't transparent about the dairies or the manufacturing plants.

And lastly, SFH Recovery is 17g of Protein per serving (32g) - that is like 53% protein per serving which is AWFUL. Average is 70%. Good is 80% and above.

It is embarrassing to see how little Crossfitters know about nutrition. Gimmick chasers and bandwagoners.

Can't wait for SFH to crash and burn just like Progenex.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:01 AM   #15
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

So question for Chris,

I'm 48 yo, 5'11" and basically at my target weight of 200. I'm about to start week 6 of a 12 week squat, press, bench and dead lift program. If I can finish all 12 weeks everything will be a big PR. So far so good through the first 5 weeks.

I'm eating about 2,700 cal a day 40c/30p/30f macros. This give me about 1g protein per lbs. of body weight. I have been using 100% Whey to help hit my protein number. Would I be better off getting some part of that from casein?
Old 12-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #16
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
So question for Chris,

I'm 48 yo, 5'11" and basically at my target weight of 200. I'm about to start week 6 of a 12 week squat, press, bench and dead lift program. If I can finish all 12 weeks everything will be a big PR. So far so good through the first 5 weeks.

I'm eating about 2,700 cal a day 40c/30p/30f macros. This give me about 1g protein per lbs. of body weight. I have been using 100% Whey to help hit my protein number. Would I be better off getting some part of that from casein?
Brendan, a blend of whey and casein (which is what milk protein is) is always superior, but I don't personally think you will see a big difference. For anyone reading this I own a supplement company and sell protein (a blend), so take note of what I am saying. I believe in offering the best product possible for a reasonable price, but in the end protein is a macronutrient and not an ergogen.

On a slight tangent, CrossFit since I first became involved 7+ years ago, at least from the HQ level down, has always been about promoting the truth in physical culture (fitness). I believe in supplementing with protein, but not for the reasons touted in the fitness industry in general. You aren't going to take my protein, or any other protein supplement, and see dramatic progress in your training unless you were previously deficient in protein intake, and that pretty much isn't going to happen in the developed world.

So why use a protein supplement? I use and recommend it because it is convenient, a good one is the lowest calorie possible form of quality protein you can consume (which makes it a useful tool), and consuming a shake mixed in water is about the quickest delivery of complete protein you can get and there is a benefit to spiking aminos in your blood immediately after training (you also want to spike insulin which milk proteins can do and you want some carbs to provide glucose for glycogen replenishment).

Back to your question Brendan, if you really want to supplement to help you reach your goal I strongly urge you to consume an ergogenic amount of a quality creatine monohydrate and Beta-Alanine. Both can make a difference, and when taken together you get additive benefits.