CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #21
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and Coke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
In the meantime I will just stay on the safe side and avoid plant proteins, like gluten, why risk it after all?
Because it is delicious and the evidence against it is dubious at best.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #22
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Sean.. I am confident on what works for me. I understand that what works for me is not what works for everyone. People can read and take something from each post. Every post has something good in it.. then you can throw away what does not work for you.

I can't see how excess sugar would be good for anyone.

Simple thing like Milk.. has so much sugar in it. Many people don't know that.

Guess nutrition should start in pre school. Its important.

Back to the thread.. overall I am glad that x fit is taking on big soda.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #23
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Sean.. I am confident on what works for me. I understand that what works for me is not what works for everyone. People can read and take something from each post. Every post has something good in it.. then you can throw away what does not work for you.
And what happens if they don't know what to throw away?

Victor, its not so much that some of what you say might not work for others, it's that probably half of what you've said on this thread simply has no scientific backing at all, and in some cases is actually dangerous (i.e. the necessity for widespread gluten free nutrition).

I hope I'm not coming across as attacking you personally, of course that is not my goal, but when you present something as fact, that has little scientific backing, don't be surprised that someone says something.

Case in point...

Quote:
I can't see how excess sugar would be good for anyone.
Simple thing like Milk.. has so much sugar in it. Many people don't know that.
Milk does not have any sugar in it at all. Not in the sense we are discussing it here. Again, you are mixing Lactose up with Fructose. Naturally occurring sugars are NOT the same thing. If you think I have misheard you, then I welcome correction, if you feel you position does have merit, than I welcome the debate, I have never walked away from a debate without learning something. But you make statements, and then commit the party foul of argument by dismissal.

S
Old 11-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #24
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Sean,
You have obviously done much research in these fields and are very specific. Pardon my crude and general statements. I am out matched in this category.. I am ok with that.

I try and keep both of my added and natural sugars down. I roll between 5-7% body fat all year. Taking as much sugar out of my diet has helped that from maybe 12-14%

As a youth I did soccer and cycling.. transferred to weight lifting and did everything in the USMC. After that I did 10 years as a pro in Sailboat racing. When I turned 40 I took up track bike racing then 4 years ago crossfit.

During this time have many California championships, a few National Championships, Several World Championships and a two Master Games appearances in the 45+ group.. 4th and 8th.

I have trained and coached people with general info. People can take it or not take it. They have the choice.. also we have the choice to end the Crossfit and Coke thread..

The sounds of Vic departing. I can see my talents are needed on the thread of Needing a bad guy in crossfit.. LOL.. JK..
Old 11-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #25
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

It's not a compertition Victor,

If you make a comment that I disagree with, I'll make a counter claim, and if necessary provide proof. I welcome others to do the same for me. It's a great way to learn.

S
Old 11-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #26
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Not quite true, human metabolism is not yet fully discovered, the way it works, so new findings are gonna emerge eventually. I don't expect things to stay the same they are now.

Lately some new stuff came up: Digestible Indispensable Amino Acid Score and ileal digestibility of protein.

Basicly saying poorer quality proteins (like gluten, no surprise there, eh?) do not get fully digested by our gut and remains stay and rot (ferment), this is called: proteolytic fermentation.

And:

The end products of proteolytic fermentation include, phenolic compounds, amines, and ammonia, all of which are toxic. The proximal colon (right side) is essentially a site of saccharolytic fermentation, whereas the more distal (left side) sees more proteolytic fermentation. This is probably a major reason why many gastrointestinal disorders (including colon cancer, ulcerative colitis) predominate distally.

Here is a nice scorecard that shows which protein are best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protei...ino_Acid_Score

Again, no surprise animal proteins are on top and plant protein (gluten) in the bottom. Thou, soy is pretty high, but soy have other problems!

Again, this is all pretty new stuff and it might come out as false, but there are findings that work towards this, time will show.

In the meantime I will just stay on the safe side and avoid plant proteins, like gluten, why risk it after all?

PS, links WFS
Research has consistently shown that diets high in "poorer quality proteins" such as whole grains including wheat, legumes including soybeans, nuts and other plant proteins are associated with a reduced risk of weight gain and obesity, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and cancer.

So, except in cases of certain rare medical conditions, there is no known risk to health associated with eating these foods, and there might actually be some significant health benefits to be gained from eating more of them.

Position of the American Dietetic Association: Vegetarian Diets.
J Am Diet Assoc. 2009;109: 1266-1282.
(wfs)
Old 11-24-2015, 12:00 AM   #27
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Meh. Don't look at Rich F as an example. Dude is a genetic freak, probably takes a bit extra, and has such a low % BF, that he is a energy burning machine who ALSO trains a ton... you just can't compare yourself to him.

Having said all that, most lean people generally have a higher intake of sugar, but that is because they have a much higher % of lean body mass, causing them to burn far more calories when exercising. Fair or not, the either worked to get to that point, or trained/dieted to reach it. Staying is much easier than progressing.

I probably have around 10% BF, and follow a 90/10 rule. 90% of the time, I try to eat mindfully, and 10%, I could care less. I'm in better shape than 99% of people, all of my health stats/blood is good, so I feel like it works for me. That may not be the case for everyone. I've done years of testing my own body going vegan, paleo, vegetarian, less sugar, more fat, etc. I know what fuels my body now and what keeps my energy levels stable.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #28
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Coke and obesity...

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/11/2...-cu-professor/