CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #11
David Kiesling

Profile:
Re: inflammation and paleo

Thanks for all the replies!

I don't think it's so much a matter of me eating more of other foods, as I'm finding that even one occasional medium bag of potato chips, with an otherwise low starch diet, will make me sore during workouts for the next couple days and give me a little bloating on my midsection. It's been consistent enough that I'm avoiding those foods.

But too much meat slows me down too. I might just be really sensitive, while some really healthy people can eat just about anything.

Anyway, it's good to hear that others have the same kind of issues too!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
Skip Chase

Profile:

I am 63 and have arthritis. I've already had both of my knees and shoulders replaced. I've been a CrossFitter/Affiliate since 2005.
In 2006, before paleo was cool, I met Robb Wolf, author of The Paleo Solution.(he hadn't written his book yet.)
I asked him, "Is there anything I can do, nutritionally, to decrease my arthritic pain?" Without hesitation, he replied, "Cut out grains and dairy."
I said, "But I love cereal!" He said, "You asked me a question. I gave you an honest answer. The choice is yours."
I cut out grains and dairy. My arthritis pain decreased. I am a paleo zoner.
I train 3-5 times a week. I stay between 6 and 9% body fat.
I get all of my carbs from fruit and vegetables.
Will the elimination of grains decrease pain and inflammation. Absolutely.
Does my body require grains to perform? Hell no.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #13
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kiesling View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

I don't think it's so much a matter of me eating more of other foods, as I'm finding that even one occasional medium bag of potato chips, with an otherwise low starch diet, will make me sore during workouts for the next couple days and give me a little bloating on my midsection. It's been consistent enough that I'm avoiding those foods.

But too much meat slows me down too. I might just be really sensitive, while some really healthy people can eat just about anything.

Anyway, it's good to hear that others have the same kind of issues too!
The thing is : when you really cut some food like cereals or starsh, your intestinal flora changes over time and when you eat again that kind of food, your digestive system will have a very hard time to process something that is not your usual food anymore.

And with a paleo diet, your intestinal flora changes A LOT compared to the standard western diet.

Last edited by Ludovic Deguy : 10-28-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
Brett Valego

Profile:

" I eat lots of salads, so plenty of calories anyway."

this statement confuses me. do you track your calories? i'd love to know how many calories you get by just eating animal protein and vegetables (and i assume avocado and olive oil).

that is all!
Old 10-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #15
David Kiesling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Valego View Post

this statement confuses me. do you track your calories? i'd love to know how many calories you get by just eating animal protein and vegetables (and i assume avocado and olive oil).

that is all!
No avocado or olive oil, but I do drip some ghee on the salad. I don't meticulously count calories, but when I've counted I hit 2500 very easily by the afternoon and am still hungry, and I have to eat miso soup for dinner. I start gaining fat really quickly if I don't keep those salads under control.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:03 PM   #16
David Kiesling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Valego View Post

that is all!
No avocado or olive oil, but I do drip some ghee on the salad. I don't meticulously count calories, but when I've counted I hit 2500 very easily by the afternoon and am still hungry, and I have to eat miso soup for dinner. I start gaining fat really quickly if I don't keep it under control and stay kind of hungry all day.

If I start eating heavy starches it just makes me hungrier and hungrier and I'll blow right past 4000 calories easily, or multiple 1500 calorie meals.