CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Monica Towns

Profile:
Question Working up to joining

I admit I'm somewhat nervous about joining. I am 60 and have bad knees (knee replacement) from years of working out too hard. I haven't done any hard core exercising in several years and I really miss working out.
I've been told by many people that there is a great deal of support within the cross fit community.
If I have the desire and will power, is it something appropriate for my age and current physical status?
I've enjoyed reading all of the comments on this board but don't see many comments from women around my age.
Thanks for any responses.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Working up to joining

It's totally appropriate.
Just approach it with an open attitude and ease yourself into things. You don't have to set any records when you start.
Get going 3 maybe 4 times a week, on the off days take an easy walk/stretch and as you get stronger and build on your skills you can start bringing intensity.

Also, before you start educate your coaches on your knees, your goals and expectations so they can help walk you through the beginning. A good box will have coaches who adjust to your needs and have some type of ramp up or intro program.

Most of us are nervous when we go somewhere new for the first time, take advantage of that energy and enthusiasm.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
Jana Hollis

Profile:

my trainer told me that at his last gym he had a 88 yr old lady join and i thought if she can do it i have no excuse im 44 and just starting my second week and loving every minute of it!!!! just do it youll love it. if your trying to lose weight start the paleo diet along with it,i feel so much better already and it hasnt even been a week.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
Terry A Carey

Profile:

I am 56 and loving it!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
Monica Towns

Profile:

Thanks for all of the input. I was such a 'gym rat' for so many years. Now being a 'new-be' I am somewhat nervous as I mentioned.
However, it is good to hear from people closer to my age. And I'll look forward to reading more comments that support and encourage.
BTW, I will be starting Paleo next week and am looking forward to it.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I think you are on the right track. There is a woman at my gym who is MUCH older than 60. I have never asked her age, but she is there consistently with her husband, and she works hard.

Be sure to tell your coach all about your current condition(s) and any limitations and trust him/her to get you going safely and slowly. Build up slowly and don't injure yourself going too hard.

Most of all have fun.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Monica Towns

Profile:

I would really like to see more posts from women who are not hard core atheletes. Regular every day women who aren't body builders, marathon runners, etc. I'm interested in reading their comments on how they felt when they began CrossFit, the difficulties they ran into, how they are progressing and their general impressions. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Ok Monica..
here is one.
62 in november ( still shocks me that i can possible by that many years LOL)
started crossfit about three years ago, Have not looked back.
I am stronger and fitter than i have ever been in my life. I got my first strict pullups for my 60th birthday .... and taken out to lunch by my wonderful trainers and fellow crossfit mates. I was so surprised and quiet emotional about that.

Gosh all the good things that have happened.. perfect blood pressure, i am leaner, more agile, balance has improved, mental attitude has improved.. can even do 20" box jumps, climb ropes, all sorts of stuff i should have been doing in my youth i am doing now and loving every minute.

cheers

H
Old 10-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Monica Towns

Profile:

Helen,
Thanks for your comments. How did you do when you first joined? What 'shape' were you in at the time?
Are you following any special diet also?: