CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
Jared Grisham

Profile:
Ok, so about 6 weeks back when doing one of the WOD's that required 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 back squats, I hurt my back on the 4 squat. Too much weight coupled with terrible form (which usually follows) led to what I felt was a pull in my lower back, right side.

The first two weeks that followed the pull were terrible. my right foot would occasionally go numb when driving, my calf would randomly hurt, and so would my right hamstring.

Although the numbness has gone away, certain things like back spasms still occur, and every morning I wake up it hurts to put shoes on since there is some form of hip flexion involved. Not to mention that when hanging from pullup bars, the straight up and down motion hurts unless I bend my knees to a slight degree. L pullups are simply impossible for my right leg, and the similar motion of sitting on the ground and trying to stretch my hamstrings is also painful.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
John Nolan

Profile:
Jared,
First off, I am not a doctor...just a guy that has had very similar issues. The numbness going down your leg was probably caused by disk infringement on the sciatic nerve. It could have been a mild bulge. If the symptoms do not continue to improve you should see a doctor.

Things you can do to check the seriousness....can you stand on your toes? each foot? can you walk on your toes? heels? If laying on your back does it hurt to raise your left leg? right? do you have any pattern numbness in your r leg?
You know that burning feeling you get when your are getting a "real good stretch" in your hamstring??? do you get that sensation while standing for 5 min? 10 min? at all??? The "random" pain in your calf and hamstring...does it feel like a knot...like it needs stretching??? Does it immediately subside if you change position?

If your disk was compromised it may have gone back into place, but there may be an issue with the 'outer wall' of the disk. Think of a disk as a gelatinous mass surrounded by a pliable membrane. If it was 'creased' severely it may have a 'memory'...or a weak point prone to fail again.

Once again, I am not a doctor...but it seems that the degree which the disk was making contact with the nerve has either lessened or subsided altogether, but having read your last paragraph about 20 times...I'd go see a good PT and/or a neuro doc. The fact that the major symptoms have subsided, but you still have pain that is associated with specific movement/body position is an issue in my mind

The below chart may help you in figuring out where your issue is/was. Essentially, where you feel the cutaneous numbness will map out where your disk issue is.
http://www.apparelyzed.com/dermatome.html

I hope that this helps...and good luck
Old 04-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Jared Grisham

Profile:
John, thanks for the response. I can stand/walk just fine, even on my toes. The pain in my calf/hamstring would be better described as shooting pains.

The problem comes when I am required to do any movement that entails right hip flexion, or trunk flexion. Also, when laying on my back, it hurts to raise my right leg. Another thing to note is that when I am standing up, every now and then my lower right back will spasm hard enough to send me on my knees.

Thanks for the advice on who to see. I have an appt with a sports chiropractor on tuesday. After that, I'll find a PT or neuro doc in my area. I just hope the y don't tell me I can't work out. Oddly enough, working out is the only time when my back feels perfectly fine.

Again, thanks for the response. I'll give an update when I get more info. Take care.
-Jared
Old 04-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
John Nolan

Profile:
Jared,
no problem. Really, anything I can do to help. I am glad to hear that you have appts with professionals. I hope all goes well for you...Let me know how it all works out
John
Old 04-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Jared Grisham

Profile:
Well, i had my visit today. The doc is certain I have a slipped disc, though it's minor. He cracked my back pretty darn good, and is going to see me again on Thursday. Since the visit, the mobility in my leg is phenomenally better, as well as the pain my hamstring and calf. Will post more on Thursday. Thanks for the interest, John.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
John Nolan

Profile:
Great! I am glad to hear it. Looking fwd to Thursdays post
John
Old 04-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Peter Lavigne

Profile:
Hi there. I'm new to the forum, but not to back issues. Last year I had a microdiscectomy to repair my L5-S1. The surgeon cleaned out the broken fragments that had settled along some nerves. The nerves affected ran down to my foot and caused "foot drop" that is the loss of function. My symptoms were like yours, but came on very quickly and didn't get better. In fact, I was told the nerve damage would become permanent if not dealt with. If you are gaining moblity, you're likely to heal with non-aggressive treatment (rest, meds, physio, etc.) The thing is that it can take a really long time and the chances of re-injuring are pretty high. based on my experience, you should try to do exactly what the Dr.s say. My daily symptoms are similar to yours now, but that is far better than loosing function. Hopefully, all goes well with your recovery.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Jared Grisham

Profile:
Well, after the second visit, I have good news. It seems that since I have so much mobility in my legs and back -- I can workout just fine and walk completely normal on my heels and tip toes -- both the chiropractor and neuro-doc have deduced (almost conclusively) that the pain is simply from an inflamed disc or inflamed spinal joint, which is pressing on my sciatic nerve.

They gave me a steroid pack to take for the next week or so, and that should remove the inflammation and make it all better. I don't know much about meds but what they gave me is supposed to target spinal inflammation. If it doesn't work, the next step is an X-ray and an MRI. They believe that it will not come down to this though. Thanks for all your help fellas. If I could repay the kindness I would!
-Jared Grisham
Old 04-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
John Nolan

Profile:
Jared...GOOD DEAL!!!
I am certain that your are very "spinally aware" now. PM me if you want to talk rehab and prevention.
Juan