CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #1
Kevin Shamir

Profile:
Strength-only regimen

I am considering joining my local barbell club, which trains at my CrossFit box. Due to my work schedule, this may be my main (almost exclusive) workout.

While my goals include to gain strength, I am not looking to gain substantially more weight. My body fat is fairly low. So my goal is basically to maintain, perhaps gain a bit more muscle and decrease body fat slightly.

That said, can I do this as barbell club member? Should this training program be complemented with running or gymnastics during the week?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:17 AM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Strength-only regimen

You've kinda asked a couple of questions here.

Quote:
While my goals include to gain strength, I am not looking to gain substantially more weight. My body fat is fairly low. So my goal is basically to maintain, perhaps gain a bit more muscle and decrease body fat slightly
Maintain a balanced caloric intake and you shouldn't see significant changes in body comp. Unless a newbie, as a rule, lean gains requires, stimuli, testoterone, AND excess calories. Limit yourself to a balanced caloric intake and you shouldn't see any issues of fat OR lean gains, again assuming you are not a newbie.

Quote:
That said, can I do this as barbell club member? (Do what?) Should this training program be complemented with running or gymnastics during the week?
If you are refering to body comp here, continue eating balanced calories and quality food, and it's doubtful you'll have an issue with fat gain. Trying to burn extra calories thru running etc, is probably not highly necessary for your situation, balanced caloric intake will do, however, conditioining can help with appetite control.

If you're referring to maintaining your current conditioning and skill levels? Which is something you should consider...assuming your barbell focused classes don't have any conditioning, then you will quite quickly loss your cardio and to a lesser degree your stamina and skills, so you may want to throw some short WODs (<10min) around 2-3 times / week to maintain your current levels. Be careful not to picks one's that clash with your strength recovery, being your main focus.

HTH

Sean
Old 11-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Strength-only regimen

It will be fine.

1) You won't get bigger unless you are brand new to lifting or try to get bigger.

2) I like some of the body weight gymnastic movements as accessory work to my lifting. Push-ups, dips, hand stand push-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups and so on.

3) A little cardio won't hurt. Short light met-cons, sled drags and so on. You do have to be careful though. I did 10 rounds of 7 wall ball shots #20 and 10 sit-ups and 2 days later my arms were not fully recovered for overhead press. I got through my work and didn't miss but my arms were not fresh. Should have done it with a #10 ball.

4) My program has me squatting 3 days a week. Personally ever time I have squatted 3 days a week and eaten clean I get leaner. So far I have lost about 7-8 pounds of body fat and I am now eating over 2,800 cals a day.

4) If you are use to doing a lot of met-cons you may want to watch food intake the first week or two to figure out what is the right level.