CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-06-2003, 06:45 PM   #1
John Michael Wallace

Profile:  
Hey Everyone,

Pretty excited about finding this site and just finished my first WOD. I'm a former full time now part-time infantryman (Rangers lead the way!)who likes to do strength events (scottish games) and still want to improve my overall fitness. I can definitely see the benefits of the WOD, and I'm looking forward to many fun sessions ahead. My question is about overall strength gains. I have a goal I'm working on over the next few months of adding about 50 lbs to my deadlift to finally hit a single at 500 lbs. What should I be doing in addition to the WOD? A couple of deadlift sessions per week, with some squats and other powerlifting exercises? Just curious to hear what others have experiencedd with the training. I would appreciate any posts. Good luck to everyone!

Old 10-07-2003, 04:37 AM   #2
Chris Doughty

Profile:

John,

Welcome.

II think you'll find that just doing the WOD alone (with intensity) will lead to the strength gains you're looking for. Initially, it seems counterintuitive that a program which doesn't put primary emphasis on heavy lifting can yield those sort of results. However, one of the benefits of Crossfit is developing a core strength which can yield more improvement in your power lifts than just training the particular exercises alone.

I'd suggest trying just the WOD for a month and then see where your DL max is then. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chris
Old 10-07-2003, 06:24 AM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
John,

I agree with Chris. Give crossfit a try. My raw trap bar deadlift max has moved up since I started crossfitting several months ago. I come from a powerlifting background and was very pleased when my deads were increasing despite not training specifically for that goal. I anticipate acheiving my 300 raw trap dead in several months; I wouldn't be surprised if you reach your 500# goal by just following the WODs too.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:16 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
John-

If i added anything it would be overhead squats. The increased flexability will allow almost anyone to address the bar with optimum lupping form.

I think yo will find the cleans, snatches and swings bringing up your DL in a very sneaky and pleasing way.
Robb
Old 10-07-2003, 09:25 AM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:
John,

What I've found is that CrossFit will find your weaknesses and balance them. If your wind is not so hot, that will improve relatively rapidly. If it's your strength that needs work, then that will improve. Since I come from a strength training background, what has happened for me is I've lost 15 pounds, and improved my wind substantially, without losing any strength, as far as I can tell, which in itself is remarkable.

Since I do Highland Games as well, I've asked myself the same question (in my case, how do I increase my Bench and Squat), and the conclusion I have reached is essentially that espoused (as I understand it) by Greg Glassman (Coach), the creator of this program, which is that you use CrossFit for General Physical Preparedness (which means you're an all-around badass), and you do your specific sport to improve in it. That doesn't mean I won't up my squat with this program, but it's important to have a clear idea why you want a bigger deadlift.

I was surprised to learn that the two dudes who absolutely spanked me in my last Highland Games (Cincinnati) had not lifted weights in six months. One guy, Jim Birchfield, threw 38' in the 56, and 101' in the 22 lb. hammer. I don't remember the rest of his scores, but it was basically like that all day, so I think it is safe to say you don't need to be lifting heavy to throw well. You need to be throwing. My goal is to throw 2 times a week in the off-season and do CrossFit as written. There is no substitute for specificity, which CrossFit types would call a Phase 3 adaption, and there is nothing wrong per se with specific fitness, except that it always comes at the cost of general fitness. Everyone that does a sport has to do that balancing act, which I don't honestly think is that difficult.

One thing I can tell you is that you will be one of the trimmer dudes on the field. At 225, I don't feel small very often, except at Highland Games.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
Mike Wallace

Profile:  
Guys,

All good posts. I appreciate the input. Barry, I feel your pain, as at about the same weight I've always been one of the smaller guys out there. I keep waiting for them to add a 2-mile run or spelling bee event! Anyway, I'll stick with the program and maybe add a few extra exercises when I feel up to it. The WOD is certainly more intense than the periodic sprints and distance running I was doing before, so I'll probably be eating a lot more as well. Thanks for all the posts!

Mike (formerly known as John I go by Mike)