CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
S.S.

Profile:

Watermelon seeds

What's the consensus on watermelon seeds? I'm trying to break my pea-legume butter addiction and so I need to find other nuts and seeds that I can eat in mass quantities.

Around here they sell these white seeds by the kilo for really cheap, and I think they're watermelon seeds but I don't really know. They are white, so they are too light to be pumpkin seeds. I guess you're supposed to spit out the shell, but I'm just eating the whole thing.

I don't really care about Zone blocks, I'd just like some insight from someone who knows nutrition.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:
Re: Watermelon seeds

Is it these guys?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/...9026f2b0a1.jpg

Quote:
However, for the merely lazy, eating watermelon seeds is a mixed blessing on the nutritional front. An ounce of dried watermelon seed kernels contains about 3 grams of zinc (or 25 percent of the Recommended Dietary Allowance for a woman under 50), and 2 grams of iron (or 14 percent of the RDA). On the minus side, it also contains 158 calories and more than 13 grams of fat. And there are quite a few dried watermelon seeds in an ounce.

Unless you chew them, however, the seeds are quite likely to pass right through your digestive system rather than being broken down and absorbed — so the nutritional loss/gain is a wash.
http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...s-dried-i12174 WFS

I doubt there are enough people here who've eaten watermelon seeds for there to be a "consensus." As a seed, I would say they're "allowed" under paleo rules. I find it a surprising amount of calories and fat, but if you don't care about such things, then I'd say munch away.

Last edited by Daniel Olmstead; 02-17-2009 at 10:09 AM..
Old 02-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
S.S.

Profile:

Yup, that's them. Except around here the barrel is about five times as big because they are so popular for some reason.

That's good news. I need foods high in fat and high in calories. And I chew them thoroughly so I'll take in all those nutrients.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Skylar Cook

Profile:

I'd argue against them. Seeds have been argued to contain many more harmful proteins (such as lectins) and antinutrients as a protection mechanism to ensure the survival of the plant. See http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html (wfs), and, to a lesser extent, http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html (wfs).
Old 02-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Michael Leach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar Cook View Post
I'd argue against them. Seeds have been argued to contain many more harmful proteins (such as lectins) and antinutrients as a protection mechanism to ensure the survival of the plant. See http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html (wfs), and, to a lesser extent, http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html (wfs).
I haven't done any research lately, but from what I had gathered in the past I had assumed it was OK to eat pretty much all seeds as they would just be passed through the body anyways...

hmm, i usually eat the seeds from most fruits (apples, pears, starfruits, watermelons, etc) and even the pits from stuff like cherries. it's more out of laziness/not-caring than anything else though. like sometimes when i get a stubbon hard-boiled egg where every last piece of shell wont come off, i'll just eat it anyways. and before i went caveman I remember pouring a big bowl of Lucky Charms to find that the ants had beat me to it. i had my heart set on Lucky Charms too. so i ate em anyways. little punks.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
You're arguing against all seeds?

"In plain language, base your diet on garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar"

They're one of the cornerstones of the CF diet, aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Leach View Post
and before i went caveman I remember pouring a big bowl of Lucky Charms to find that the ants had beat me to it. i had my heart set on Lucky Charms too. so i ate em anyways. little punks.
That's pretty BA.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Greg Pieris

Profile:

Quote:
and, to a lesser extent, http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html (wfs).
I'm not suggesting outright dismissal of theories like this, but anyone promoting blood type diets and the idea of systemic candida should be treated with a bit of skepticism.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Michael: As long as you don't chew or grind them, thus breaking/destroying the seed coat, then yes, they'll go right through - they were, in fact, DESIGNED to do this (most, anyway).

Shane: Well, partially. I'm wrestling with this myself as I type this. Here are my thoughts:

It seems to me that Paleo man would have definitely eaten nuts, which are seeds, so those are OK. I'm equally sure that he would have occaisionally (probably unintentionally) chewed the seeds of whatever fruits he was eating. What I DON'T see him doing is purposely consuming large quantities of seeds and/or making them a staple of his diet, so I would recommend we follow suit. As I see it, we wouldn't have had enough exposure to them while evolving to necessitate developing protections against whatever crap might be in them. If you accidentally chew them while eating watermelons, fine. I just don't think consuming large amounts of them is the best for you.

So yeah, I guess I'm flying in the face of the mainpage CF diet plan a bit.

Greg: True. But he does have some valid points, and other sources back up these points. On the other hand, anyone running around the gym like a wild man, squatting with the bar ABOVE their head and doing upside-down pushups against the wall obviously doesn't know a thing about fitness and should be relegated to the loony bin.

Last edited by Skylar Cook; 02-17-2009 at 10:24 PM..
Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Jeff Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Leach View Post
I haven't done any research lately, but from what I had gathered in the past I had assumed it was OK to eat pretty much all seeds as they would just be passed through the body anyways...

hmm, i usually eat the seeds from most fruits (apples, pears, starfruits, watermelons, etc) and even the pits from stuff like cherries. it's more out of laziness/not-caring than anything else though. like sometimes when i get a stubbon hard-boiled egg where every last piece of shell wont come off, i'll just eat it anyways. and before i went caveman I remember pouring a big bowl of Lucky Charms to find that the ants had beat me to it. i had my heart set on Lucky Charms too. so i ate em anyways. little punks.
Be careful how many fruit seeds you eat. They contain cyanogenic glycosides (cyanide). Too many and you can literally die, although that amount is high. Chewing and breaking them up increases their lethality.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:39 AM   #10
Frank E Morel

Profile:

if I remember right they are cardommon seeds. Arabs eat them like we eat sun flower seeds... ask them if it the seeds will make the blonde coffee.. or arabic coffee.. its sweet and yellow like pee.

the is another seed that is common but it comes from a type of squash, about the size of a soft ball. .. forgot the name of it. its a green round squash pale green inside.