CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Back pain and question for military members

Ladies and Gents,

I've read a few back pain questions already, and they seem to be helping. I found this: (WFS) http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37630, and it seems to be great.

I've described symptoms at the end of the message so I can get to the point here.

I have to see a flight surgeon before I can go to an actual doctor. The flight docs at my base give motrin out like candy and have a tendency to ignore life-threatening symptoms (I wish I was kidding) for an easier route. My chances of being correctly diagnosed and examined are slim, but I'm also going to be crosstraining soon - and I'll be going to a school that teaches combatives. I can't imagine having back issues and then letting someone beat the crap out of me for practice. Does anyone know a way to get past the facade and get actual medical care?

Thanks,
Dan

Symptoms:
I've been doing a lot of lower body stuff (overhead squats, running, swings, etc). My back was getting sore so I slowed down. However, a couple of days ago I woke up in the morning to have excruciating pain in the lower center (last couple of vertebrae) that radiated out on both sides when I try to squat down or bend over. I couldn't even sit down without it hurting. It's a little better now after a massage from my lovely wife but the pain is definitley still present.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:
Re: Back pain and question for military members

Ask your flight surgeon for a physical therapy consult. An M.D. isn't actually what you need, you need to see somebody who will address the issue. From what you have described, doesn't sound like a surgical case so consult to orthopedics or neurosurgery would be overkill and a waste of your time. If there are chiropractors on your base you may also benefit from that. Being a physical therapist, I'm obviously a bit biased toward the PT route.

Also, from your description, doesn't sound like you need any fancy imaging or special tests. Again, those things will just waste your time, expose you to radiation that you don't need to be exposed to and may actually cloud the picture by "exposing" something that has nothing to do with your back pain.
So, i go back to my original suggestion, ask for a referral.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Daniel Fannin

Profile:

Dan,

Thanks! I spent the rest of the morning yesterday looking stuff up and asking a couple people here and there about it. I agree with you...it sounds like an overuse injury and it's already a little better (just very sore).

Dan
Old 10-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Scott Jones

Profile:

Also, to piggyback on Dan, a PT will be able to tell you whether the symptoms are truly musculoskeltal in nature, and not something else or more serious (and in my experience, MDs are more than happy to turf patients whenever possible, so don't be afraid to ask).

Being a USAF PT, I will tell you that if your PTs on station are any good, the flight docs will listen to them. Also, being military, if the PTs have more questions than answers, military PTs can order MRIs if they are medically justifiable.

IOW, if the PT thinks it's musculoskeletal, but thinks something serious is involved, he can order an MRI to find out.

Hope that helps.