CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
Michael McMahon

Profile:
Over on T-nation there has been quite a discussion regarding crossfit and whether or not it is a "muscle wasting" program. Started as a guy asking for advice about training for police officers. Interesting reading. Doubt anyone has ever tried it though. Heres a link to it.
http://t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jse...itan?id=547217
Old 01-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Michael, I addressed "ZEB's" critique in a post. I believe he is the same person who posted on this web site, and got himself kicked off. He has an ax to grind with the Crossfit community. Nice to see Ross Hunt's comments. I'm a cop and martial artest. I have been a cop for 16 years in one of the toughest urban enviroments in the country. I feel I have the background as a cop and as someone who trains Crossfit, to tell you, and ZEB, that Crossfit is the program for cops and military personnel. His posts really ****ed me off because he is presuming to know what police officers need for training, with no real experience. He's also presuming to know what Crossfit is all about. . .with no real experience. I'm sure he could tell you, ad nauseam, that he knows how to increase your pullup numbers, just don't ask him how. Sorry for the rant.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Michael McMahon

Profile:
No problem, I saw your reply and it was perfect. I was the post before yours there. Out of curiosity and if you don't mind PM me with what dept. you are with I also am the police in the Chicago area. I have some ideas where you might work.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Just another Buttercup!
Old 01-25-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Nope; there's hope for buttercups! No hope for "ZEB."
Old 01-26-2005, 06:30 AM   #6
Andrew Brown

Profile:
I was thinking about this....

Imagine a relatively computer savvy individual who has a graduate level understanding of biology and physiology...who can chase a fast suspect half a mile, vault a fence and land with a gymnast's grace, jump and pull himself up a fire escape, race up the steps, then subdue and restrain said suspect almost without regard to his size.

Is that a crossfit cop...or Batman?
Old 01-26-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I started reading that thread and then I thought of Larry's post. He is 100% correct!! Anyone not a LEO shouldn't be telling LEO's what they need to do to prepare for the job. It's like a lawyer telling a doctor how to operate, or vise-versa. IMHO, when I see "intimidating" cops on the street, I'm not really all that impressed. Big muscles may impress, but they don't mean a thing unless they are functional!
I like Zeb's statement of CF being too heavy into "cardiovascular" activities!! "Endless days of running, and for what?" Obviously, he was kicked off this board before he had a chance to read about the typical distaste for "cardio" in the CF universe.
I'm thinking Larry and TJ Cooper ought to post some scathing retort on T-nation. But then again, the typical response on that site would start to call their mothers' reputations, family heritage, and genetalia in to question while posing as "intellectual debate!"

Oh, BTW, I have the utmost respect for LEO's and especially those who do Crossfit!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
Tim Morrison

Profile:
Yeah, Zeb's shortsightedness is that...of course 30 min 'cardio' circuits and gymnastic skills aren't exactly specific to the exact physical challenge a cop might face.... but wouldn't you want a cop to be more fit than doing short sprints a little grapling and olifts... of course you do.
Crossfit is GPP DUDE.... and about as efficient as you can be with it... add a little grappling/martial arts moves,a few 50 meter sprints and you got it all
Old 01-26-2005, 05:54 PM   #9
Jim Butts

Profile:
Let me summarize the thesis, for those of you that haven't been following along:

1) Whatever you have, however strong or fit or 'big' you are, crossfit didn't do it because crossfit, by definition, couldn't do it.

2) Gymnastics are what little girls do at recess. (I've paraphrased a bit here.)

3) As a police officer, how big you are and how intimidating you look are the most important factors. So, for instance, Josh Everett wouldn't make a good 'street cop' because he looks far too small ("a strong wind could blow him over"). Greg Amundson, marginal. And Dan John is far too old and fat to intimidate anybody (it's a good thing he's a religion teacher, for cryin' out loud...)

4) Crossfit is too hard.

Did I miss anything?
Old 01-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Somebody please ask him if he knows of any good pullup programs, so the rest of us can watch.

I'm off to go do my cartwheels and triple lutzes.