CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Patrick Dalton

Profile:
Help.... :'(

OK, here's the story.... I'm in racks of pain and tried almost all of it... And am a step from the looney bin if I can't get rid of it...

I have ribs in the left side of my back that require adjustment by a chiropractor. They kind of slip out from time to time and the chrio adjusts them and I'm best kind....

But...

About 4 weeks ago, I had them adjusted and I immediately went into spasm. It was aggravating but I put up with it for a few days before calling her. She adjusted me a couple times more, and on the second adjustment there was a huge snap, and the spasms stopped...

The next day it came back with a vengeance, I could barely move... I was awoke at 4am with vicious spasms, rolling around on the floor, doing what I could to make it stop... It calmed a little so I could get into my MD at 8:30am... She prescribed me Anaprox for the pain and flexoral for the spasms. Those drugs did nothing as perscribed for 3-4 days, so I started double dosing to see if that would help. No difference... Constant spasms..

My chiropractor had at this point gone back to med school and had sold her practice... So I went and saw the one who replaced her.. She wouldn't touch my ribs, and really did no adjusting to me... No releif, so I went on the hunt again.

I tried acupuncture and while I was getting the treatment, I felt really good, and started "dreaming while awake", but as soon as I got dressed after the treatment the spasms came back...

So I made an appointment with a chiropractor and massage therapist who are upby my house... The chiro guy gave me a full adjustment and it felt really good, but I stood up, and the pain came back, he said the rib keeps slipping out.

They had a massage therapist there, so I made an appointment with her as well, and same deal, felt really good as she did her work, but after the spasm came back.

2 days ago I stopped taking the anaprox and flexoral.. It wasn't helping me anyway...

Now, after seeing the new chiro guy twice and the massage therapist 3 times, the pain is changing, it's not as bad, it still wakes me up at night, but not like it used to...

Now, at this very second it feels like a knife in my back by the vertebrae, and I get a spasm/tingle between my ribs, that carries right under my arm and to my front left pectoral.. It feels at time as if someone is pushing in on my chest and back at the same time... It's almost like a tingle and then pressure on my pec.

If anyone out there has any thoughts, please help me.. I'm miserable, and haven't worked out in over a month.. :'(
Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Chuck Hoyes

Profile:
Re: Help.... :'(

There is something called "Slipping Rib Syndrome" where it's chronic and doesn't heal on its own.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Emil Berengut

Profile:

Patrick, I've had similar issues, although not as bad as yours. I would strongly encourage you to go to a physical therapist. One of the ways to stabilize the bony structures is through a combination of therapeutic exercises and manual PT. Manipulation alone or soft tissue massage alone are clearly inadequate.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Tom Meehan

Profile:

Doesn't sound like "Slipping Rib Syndrome" (check out http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1150226 - wfs). "Slipping Rib Syndrome" invloves the anterior attachments of the ribs and you seem to feel it in the back. With that said, it does sound like a possible hypermobility issue - the joints becoming subluxated (just short of dislocated) and feel better after being put back into re-alignment but become subluxed again with movement. Have you had any imaging studies done (X-ray, MRI, CT, Bone Scan)? Definitely get evaluated by a PT or or sports orthopedist/chiropractor (for chiro's look ask if they've taken the Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician course).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Patrick Dalton

Profile:
Re: Help.... :'( - FOLLOW UP

So, after being in pain since July, a round of Anaprox, flexoril and lastly atasol 30's, from chiropractors to massage therapists, acupuncturists and finally a physiotherapist..

I'm recovering. Finally.

The physiotherapist noticed that my ribs and spine were clicking and moving about.. Her thoughts... Hyper mobility in the area..

Slowly but surely she's guided me back to exercise, starting off with just pulldowns and seated rows and embarassingly light weight... When the kineseologist first took me in to do seated pulldowns with 40lbs, she asked if it was too heavy... I proudly told her I could do a 400lb deadlift..

So, my current course is now to slowly start adding exercises I'm jumping rope, pulldowns, seated rows, burpees, etc...

The other day I did a circuit round followed by 3 sets of light deadlifts (135), last night a round of light squats (135), and finished off with a 135 clean-n-jerk... It feels good to be alive again.

Granted, stairs are not my friend today.

Thanks for all who sent me messages!

---PAtrick

http://www.angrydalty.com/crossfit.htm
Old 10-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Scott Jones

Profile:

Just saw this thread. Very interesting.

What most people don't seem to understand about chiropracters is that while they are great at what they do, do good work, and there is definitely a place for them, you have to understand fundamentally what they are doing to the joints they are manipulating.

If you are getting joint manipulation, the chiro, or PT, is taking that joint to it's absolute end physiologic end range (as opposed to anatomic, which would just result in injury), and then shoving that joint THROUGH that end range.

If you start with hypOmobile joints, manipulation may be necessary, but if you continue to receive manipulation over a long period of time, you actually may end up with hypERmobile joints, which (it sure sounds like) is what happened to you.

Continuing to manipulate (esp. without functional stabilization of the structures in question) will only make the problem worse.

Looks like you may have found out the hard way. . .
Old 10-30-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
Patrick Dalton

Profile:

Yeah, I've always always been a staunch flag waver of chiro, but I was getting over-treated post-"drunk on a trampoline" which lead me down this road... A hard lesson for sure folks and I *REALLY* hope someone learns from it, not having to go what I went through.

The lesson: Don't over treat. Granted it took me a while to find the right treatment.. My MD eventually suggested physio when she saw the state I was in, coming in one morning begging for painkillers after telling her 2 weeks before that I didn't want any, because of addiction history in my family.

Scott, you are right (apologies for mis-spelling) great analysis! The physio said to me, "Did you ever notice you feel great after a treatment, but a few days later you are thinking about going back for another?" It's a sign you are kind of hooked on it... Great... Hooked on crack.

I think back to those nights of walking around the house nearly crying at 3am because of spasms so bad that no painkiller would touch it... Falling asleep on the hardwood floor because the bed was too soft, pushing my shoulders slightly ahead causing more spasm. I was near to the brink of insanity at some points, debating grabbing a kinfe and stabbing myself in the back with the hopes of severing the nerve/muscle that was causing the pain...

Now I have a new challenge.. losing the weight I put on, and committing to "the program" again, slowly without hurting myself again.

Granted, I'm limping up the stairs from the squats, but hey, that's a good pain..

---Patrick

www.angrydalty.com/crossfit.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jones View Post
Just saw this thread. Very interesting.

What most people don't seem to understand about chiropracters is that while they are great at what they do, do good work, and there is definitely a place for them, you have to understand fundamentally what they are doing to the joints they are manipulating.

If you are getting joint manipulation, the chiro, or PT, is taking that joint to it's absolute end physiologic end range (as opposed to anatomic, which would just result in injury), and then shoving that joint THROUGH that end range.

If you start with hypOmobile joints, manipulation may be necessary, but if you continue to receive manipulation over a long period of time, you actually may end up with hypERmobile joints, which (it sure sounds like) is what happened to you.

Continuing to manipulate (esp. without functional stabilization of the structures in question) will only make the problem worse.

Looks like you may have found out the hard way. . .