CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Skip Chase

Profile:
Are you aware of any new technology-knee replacement

I put this out to the worldwide community. In your 'neck of the woods', are you aware of any new treatment or technology regarding osteoarthritis of the knee?

I was diagnosed with OA/articular surface of the patella in 1984. Xrays last week confirm bone on bone degeneration. I received a steroid shot on Friday which has relieved the discomfort. Should the discomfort increase, we are already planning on synvisc injections, as I am not ready to give into a replacement in the near future. I am not ready to give up running, jumping, etc.

If you are aware of anything new going on in your medical community, please email me or send a PM.

Thanks

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
Old 01-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Are you aware of any new technology-knee replacement

I recently saw a guy come into our PT clinic (I'm not a PT -- considering to apply to PT school though) who was basically at least a month or two ahead of where a previous knee replacement would be at the time. He was basically up and walking on the knee within about 3 weeks after the surgery and had very good flexion and extension basically about where a 2 month post surgery ACL patient would have which is extremely good. Not sure about running and jumping on it though, but it looks like you can get back to walking fairly easily now at the very least.

Best advice is to delay as long as you can. With technology nowadays it should be very soon where you can get a knee replacement that you can jog on and maybe run/jump possibly if it's not out already.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Skip,
If you haven't tried absolute nightshade avoidance, now would be a great time to Black Box it for at least 3 months.

For the expert book on the topic of what foods and food ingredients to avoid, try WFS www.noarthritis.com . My articles in the WFS Performance Menu (Sept. & Dec. '07 and Jan. '08, more to come) cover the potential physiological mechanisms.

If you'd like to see the research on Low Intensity Laser Therapy (LILT) for arthritis in general and in specific joints, go to WFS http://healinglightseminars.com/library.html . I'm currently working with a patient to correct diagnosed *osteonecrosis* of her knees (a lot worse than "simple" OA) and she has been amazed at our results in 5 treatments so far. If you'd like to find a practitioner in your area, look to WFS www.meditech-bioflex.com .

The combination of several treatments can have an incredible synergistic effect, such as nightshade avoidance + Synvisc + LILT = remove calcinosis-causing inflammation + provide raw material to rebuild cartilage + restore cell function to normal. If you chose to take the trip to see me personally, I do twice-a-day (first thing AM, last thing PM) treatments for out-of-town patients who need a lot of work in a short amount of time.

I will PM you this as well, I also wanted other people to see these links and information. I wish you the best and I do believe that this will play a huge part (or not) in your recovery.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Skip, Steven (if you are still lurking) and Dr. Smith-

I found this thread (one of only two on the entire board) that mentioned "synvisc."

I just made the decision to temporarily forgo arthroscopic knee surgery to trim a torn medial meniscus and a lateral release for PFS with abrasions to the interior of my knee cap.

The reason I am choosing to put off the surgery is I got a second opinion from another surgeon who likes to exhaust all non-surgical alternatives before cutting his patients. One of the treatments he suggests is synvisc injections. Apparently, I am lucky, because my insurance will cover synvisc, which is quite expensive.

What are y'alls' opinions of synvisc injections?

Note - Skip, I read your follow up thread (the other synvisc thread) stating you'd completed the synvisc injection treatments, inter alia, but it was not enough and you were looking for a knee replacement. I hope that has gone well for you.

Thanks-
Sean
Old 01-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Sean....

check wfs www.stoneclinic.com

rather progressive clinic and innovative and the PT is kelly starret level 3 coach of crossfit san fran fame.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Thanks, Frank!

Got the PM, too.

Much obliged.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
Skip Chase

Profile:

Yes, I had the knee replacement Oct 21st. I requested a prosthesis with a 'rotating platform' to allow 130-150 degrees flexion.

Unfortunately, I developed arthrofibrosis (stiff knee syndrome) and scar tissue went crazy in the joint capsule. I was 'stuck' at 93 degrees flexion.

I had a 'manipulation under anesthesia' Dec 30th. The doc put me under and forced the knee to flex, breaking the scar tissue and achieved 135 degrees.

Unfortunately, the arthrofibrosis returned. Now I am stuck at 110 degrees with chronic, acute pain.

The doc returns from a vacation next Wednesday and we will discuss the next step, whatever it may be.

The PT's are clients and friends of ours and they feel bad and are frustrated. I am their only patient whose knee is reacting this way. Bummer.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Damn, Skip!

That sounds horrible.
Sorry to see it turned out that way.
I hope they are able to get it back functioning within the ordinary parameters for you, and that you don't have pain any more.

uggh - that is just awful.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Chad hamm

Profile:

Skip, I am sorry to hear that the problems are still persisting. I am praying for a quick recovery. Give Rhonda my best.

Chad
Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
Frank E Morel

Profile:

is a continuous passive machine a possible option for you?

you will have to use the cpm while your sleeping .. if you can sleep while your leg is being pumped back and forth.