CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
When you eat something that you know is way off your diet, on the next meal, should you try to eat things that will compensate for the previous meal and give a daily average of 40C:30P:30F? Or should you just continue on with the next meal normally, as if the cheat meal never happened?

Example: You eat six slices of pizza. Should the meal next meal(s) be nearly devoid of carbs and fat?

I'm asking because today was the first time I had Domino's pizza in a few weeks. :-)
Old 04-30-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
Robert Olajos

Profile:
For me, it depends on how long after. If it's maybe 2 hours, then I'd try to balance things out a little. But if it's +4 hours, I just go back to 40-30-30. Not a scientist, but I think that by then whatever nastiness you ate has been processed and your body is looking for things in balance again. Sears mentions something about cheating, "You're as close to the Zone as your next meal."
Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
Michael Leach

Profile:
if i ate 6 pieces of pizza, i think i'd skip my next meal. ;)
Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
I actually did skip my next meal, though not intentionally. I had to go to the library to get some schoolwork done, then to *finally* get a good purchase from Craig's List, then I had some other shopping to do... By the time I got home, it was six hours later, and I did try to go back to 40:30:30.

Next time, I may try to cut it down to four slices...
(Edit: With next time being 4+ weeks from now. This isn't a weekly deal.)

(Message edited by whiteninja on April 30, 2007)
Old 04-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
After a cheat meal I try to eat a zone meal relatively soon after. I think of eating a cheat meal as veering off course, and the next meal puts you back on course. Skipping a meal after a cheat meal just means you are off course longer.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I usually ignore the cheat meal and move on like it was normal. I find that I don't have much of an adverse effect from it and it also helps me mentally. I don't like to get too neurotic about my food, so if I allow myself a cheat, I simply move on as normal.

Also, it has been shown to be beneficial for your metabolism to utilize cheat meals on occasion. Your body adapts to whatever your meal intakes are and attempts to stay as efficient as possible. This is why it's good to throw in some longer workouts (Painstorm/filthy fifty) and also some cheat meals to keep the body confused and constantly adapting.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
A handy tip:

Try to plan your cheat meals as dinners. That way you can "sleep off" the resultant hypoglycemia, instead of having to fight the carb cravings later in the day.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
Colin McNulty

Profile:
I find when I have a carbtastic cheat meal like that, my next meal comes around a lot faster than normal! Last time I have a load of pizza, I was hungry again 2 hours later. Personally, I just ignore it, and continue as normal. Whether it takes 1 meal or 2 to get back "in the zone", does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
Genevieve Gornicki

Profile:
I agree. Go on as normal. Also the point of cheating is to let go and treat yourself. Maybe if feel guilty, then 1/2 fat rest of day, but in the grand scheme as Colin put it, does it really matter? nah!