CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-07-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
Kelly Moore

Profile:
I would like to hear opinions on deadlifting - to bounce/tap the reps or dead stop each rep? I was taught and perform deadlifts with a complete stop between each rep. Unless I need a breather, my hands never leave the bar during the stop. I have caught myself sneaking in several tapping reps during a WOD. It did decrease my time and it certainly made the consecutive reps easier. But I'm not sure it's going to help me pull the bigger deadlift I ultimately want and I'm also concerned that I may be more injury prone without a clean set up each rep. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 02-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hey twin,
I have mixed thoughts, which will doubtless be of no help! Dead stops are certainly the way to go when training for competition, since they're the only reps you get at a meet. And if your ultimate goal is the 300 lb trap bar dead, you need to be pulling clean, stop-reps. However, when we are doing deadlifts-as-aerobics, high rep low (relatively) weight sets, I don't think that they will have much carryover to the max effort and for the sake of efficiency (which, in the kb snatch thread, Tyler is going to explain to my why efficient is bad) and time, I tend to use a tap. I try not to bounce, but I don't dead-stop either. Key of course is keeping the form tight. If/when I start to get sloppy, I stop and regroup and re-set.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:54 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I bounce quite a bit but my top end has consistently been going up. I have noticed that about the best thing I can do for my start is to work heavy cleans. That explosive start has had good carryover for me. I used to do isometrics in the power rack many years ago and found it helpfull.

I know this does not really answer the original question! I'm interested to hear what other have to say about this.
Robb