CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
Bryan Edge

Profile:
For those of you that have difficulty with timed workouts or intervals because of no easy access to round timers or the hassles of managing a stopwatch, my wife had a great idea.

What you need: MP3/Digital music player and a computer. CD Ripping software (Windows Media Player) and digital music. Software for editing sound files is useful but not necessary.

Basically, my wife's idea was simply to cut music tracks together for time. For example, for tabata-style workouts, take a 20 second "work" track, then splice in 10 second "rest" tracks (and even a 60 second rest track at the end of the 8 intervals). Start your MP3 player and just let the music cue you as to when to work/rest.

You can use a similar tactic for timed workouts, such as "X number of rounds" in 20 minutes. Just create a 20 minute song list. :-) Then bust your *** (or bust a move) until the music ends.

If you've got a computer, a digital music player and a stack of your favorite CDs (or downloaded tunes) it's not too tough to do -- even easier if you have the ability to do basic sound file editing.

Anyway, it alleviates alot of wasted seconds looking at a clock or stopwatch (while writing down times/reps/etc). I bet it would even shave a few seconds off your times. :-)

Kick *** and have fun.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Equipment.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Good idea. However, I am thinking I want an interval timer like Joshua mentions in the recent CFJ "Tabata my Job".

Where does one pick that up? Our local sports authority only has regular stop-watches.