CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-23-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
Starboy

Profile:  
ok...I tried posting and it didn't post and I don't want to write it all out again, so this is going to be a super-short version.

Who I am: 24yo martial artist looking to add cardio to my training.

My goals: An effective cardio program I can do in the home on rainy days. Will most likely involve equipment.

My concerns: Joint injury. I'm looking for something that will put as close to no strain on my joints as possible (I'm especially concerned about my knees).

What I had in mind: I was thinking of buying a rower. From what I've read so far rowing is a really good cardio workout. Also, a good rower is less expensive than a good eliptical or a good stairclimber. Furthermore, with proper form, it's no impact.

What I know about rowers: Not much. I hear the piston ones are really bad. I don't know how the air rowers compare. I'm open to advice.

What I want in a rower: Something durable that will provide an effective cardio workout. I'm 6' tall with a variable weight of 180-220. I don't need much in the form of electronics. Most of my measurements will be done by my heart monitor (Polar A5). I'm not a pro rower, so I don't need the most cutting edge product on the market.

What I'm looking to spend: Technically, I can afford up to $1000, but I'm really hesitant to spend that much. I'm really trying to keep it around $300. However, if $300 will only get me crap, then I'd have no choice but to go higher.

I'd appreciate any advice.

edit: also, can anyone direct me to a site that can teach me proper rowing form? Something with videos would be nice. :-)
Old 07-23-2003, 01:26 PM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Starboy,

I don't think you can go wrong with a Concept 2 rower. At $795, it's more expensive than the $300 low watermark you're striving for, but these things are built to basically last a lifetime, from what I understand.

Most of the Crossfitters here seem to swear by the Concept 2 rowers.

Here's the homepage:

http://www.concept2.com/default.asp

Here's the page where it gives more info on the rower itself:

http://www.concept2.com/products/ir/indoor_rower.asp

Also, there's a link called "Technique" on the left side of the homepage that has a video of a guy rowing with proper technique as well written material.

I should note that I don't actually own a Concept 2 (but intend to purchase one after I buy my Olympic bar/weights and rings). I have used the Concept 2 at my gym a ton of times, though, and have nothing but great things to say about it. It really is a full-body aerobic workout.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 07-23-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Chris Doughty

Profile:

Starboy,

The Concept II rowers are a favorite here. This link has some comments on their merits: http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000038.html

Concepts II's retail for $800 (which is well worth it) but you might be able to find a used one for much less. It's my understanding that replacement parts can be purchased from the manufacturer so you can fix-up a used one if necessary.

Regarding those knees... There are at least a couple of people on this site who have come back from pretty debilitating knee problems by following the Crossfit program. Personally, my left knee was a mess following ACL surgery (loose, painful, unstable, etc.). After a 6 months of Crossfit I can back squat 365 without knee wraps or pain and both knees are more solid than they've ever been.

I'd strongly recommend trying out the WOD's for a while. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised by the benefits to your martial art and to your knees - and you'll see some major improvements in your aerobic capacity without doing aerobics.

Chris
Old 07-23-2003, 02:15 PM   #4
Starboy

Profile:  
A quick question.: what are the WODs?
Old 07-23-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
Chris Doughty

Profile:

Workout-of-the-day
Old 07-23-2003, 02:41 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I've had my C2 rower for a few months now... AWESOME piece of equipment.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:21 PM   #7
Starboy

Profile:  
First, where do I find the WOD's? I surfed around the crossfit site and didn't see it.

Also, what exactly is crossfit all about? From the site, it seems that it's some kind of exercise program, but part of it cost money or something like that. I'm not too worried about weight training (have a seperate plan being put together for that), just cardio right now.

Lastly, I checked out some more info on the C2. Apparently, it's bombproof according to the link posted above. Is this something I should be concerned about? :proud:

I am going to check out the C2, but can anyone recommend something a little more on the lower end? What about the air rowers?
Old 07-23-2003, 06:41 PM   #8
Lauren Glassman

Profile:  
Starboy,
The workouts are on the Main page and they are free.:proud:
Checkout the free issue of the CrossFIt Journal to get a better idea about CrossFit. I assume you have read through ""What is CrossFit" and "Get Started", both available from the main page. Also you can read our Foundations to learn more.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:33 AM   #9
Starboy

Profile:  
What do people think of the Fitness Quest Integrity 3000? As cardio is just to complement my MA training, I'm feeling that $900 is a bit much to spend on something like this. I don't care if the Integrity doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the C2, as long as it's durable and provides a solid workout.

If the Integrity isn't a good product, can anyone suggest anything closer to the lower end that fits my needs?
Old 07-24-2003, 01:13 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

In all honesty, start doing the CrossFit Workout Of the Day (the WOD), and you won't feel the need to do any specific "cardio" training.

In fact, if you truly go all out on the WOD, you won't be able to, either . . .