CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-04-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Courtney Garrard

Profile:
24" vertical poles on a DIY pull up bar?

Howdy all, first post and all that...

I'm putting together a pull up bar for my garage with a high ceiling and no exposed rafters. I'm using the design many others have.

2x6 attached to the rafters, 3/4" black pipe, two floor flanges attached to the 2x6, and a 48" pull up bar.

Now that I've picked up everything, I've developed a concern after reading some more posts. To get the bar just within my reach from the ceiling (I'm 6'1"), I'm using two 24" 3/4" vertical pipes. Alot of other designs I've seen are using around ONE foot, not two.

I see a fair amount of kipping in my future and I'm concerned about horizontal swinging with this long of vertical poles.

Has anybody else used this long of vertical poles? What has been your experience? I'm scared to death it's going to give enough play that I'll rip the board out of the ceiling or, even moreso, the flanges out of the board.

Speaking of which, give me some thoughts on the screws I'm using.

They're all wood screws. 6 #12 4" to attach the board to the rafters and I've got 8 #14 1-3/4" screws for the flanges to attach to the board (4 in each flange). ALL WOOD SCREWS. The kind with the first little bit near the head smooth.

I keep reading where everyone is talking LAG screws instead. Should I have got with these instead of wood screws? Would that be more secure? Are my lengths correct or should I get lag screws and go all the way through the board at the flanges?

I haven't gone up and found my rafters with the stud finder yet, but it's a fair bet they won't be spaced exactly at 48", otherwise I would put the flanges at the same point as the rafters and go all the way up into them in addition to the 2x6.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by Courtney Garrard; 10-04-2010 at 01:36 PM..
Old 10-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Sheldon Danley

Profile:
Re: 24" vertical poles on a DIY pull up bar?

24" from the cieling could get a little sketchy at the flanges when you start doing a big kip. My suggestions would be two-fold.

One - shorten the vertical sections down to 12". This will actually allow you more clearance if you plan to hang rings from the bar and you can just put a box underneath if you have to for pull-ups. However, this doesn't give you a ton of head room for chest-to-bar pull-ups.

Two - Set up the rig as you describe but put it about 36"-48" from the wall and extend two more lengths of pipe from the ends to the wall and secure with two additional flanges. That will give you all the lateral support you need for kipping. If you do it right, you can almost have 3 pull-up stations this way.

Might I also suggest setting up a second rig as you describe, but with very short verticals, the shortest threaded pipe stubs they make even, for hanging rings. That will allow the maximum ground to overhead clearance if you ever want to do muscle-ups or any inverted maneuvers on the rings.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
Courtney Garrard

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback Sheldon.

This is one of those 'man, I can't believe I didn't think of that' moments...

It's so simple, it hurts. A 1 foot box!

I really don't see doing too much in the way of all these advanced things you're talking about. This is for P90X (big suprise, eh?), so I don't know if I'll ever get into rings and whatnot. As long as my head can fit above the bar, I should be in good shape.

The bottom line is I'm doing this because at over 6 feet tall, I'll NEVER break myself of cheating by kicking off if I don't make it so I CAN'T reach the floor. I'm starting my third round in a couple of weeks and I've got to put an end to it finally.

So, if someone could give me some screw advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Like I said, I have 6 - 4" #12 wood screws for the 2x6 to joist and 8 - 1-3/4" #14 wood screws for the flanges to the 2x6.

Should I go back and get these lag screws for more secure connections?

Also, I've got some pipe cement that I forgot to mention the first time.

Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Yes. You should get lag screws....and washers.

My wife uses a box placed just to the side under our pullup bar to reach it.

You don't need the pipe cement but it wouldn't hurt. When I put mine together I put the pipes in a vice and used some huge pliers to make it as tight as humanly possible. I recommend doing that as well. Since just hand tight will have a tendency to loosen with kipping.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier; 10-04-2010 at 07:21 PM..
Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

My bar is held together by 2x6.. BIG lag screws into the studs behind the wall and ceiling. Distributes the weight quite nicely.

I also agree on the 12" headroom. That's what I have and it's more than enough for regular pullups.

Overall, I've had my bar for a few months and it's been rock solid. No movement, even with myself and 2 other people on other parts of the bar.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Courtney Garrard

Profile:

You use washers with lag screws?

Hmmmmm. That might be an issue. The garage is finished, so I have no access at all to the joists/rafters.

Or are we talking about securing the flanges?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Here's what I did. Lag Bolts through the 2x6 (counter sunk in with washers on both sides). That way if anything started getting loose I'd be able to see it and fix it. Then lag screws with washers into the 2x6's across multiple joists.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01660.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	7066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01661.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	7067  
Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Courtney Garrard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Here's what I did. Lag Bolts through the 2x6 (counter sunk in with washers on both sides). That way if anything started getting loose I'd be able to see it and fix it. Then lag screws with washers into the 2x6's across multiple joists.
Ah!

That really helped me out Matt.

So you came down with the lag BOLTS through the flange holes with washers, and then up with the lag SCREWS plus washers for attaching the 2x6 to the rafters.

Man, that really helps me out. Makes perfect sense now. Excellent. Your ceiling is exactly like mine.

Thanks buddy!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Yep. I'm sure lag screws up into the board through the flanges would work. But I have been burned too many times trying to take short cuts so I just used the bolts. The washers are on there to give a little more surface area for where the bolts meet the flanges and even the load out on the bolt head.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Dylan Johnson

Profile:

Not to be rude or anything, but can't you jump one foot to reach the bar?