CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Daniel Krull

Profile:
Question how many grams of protein, carbs, and fat?

According to my height and weight, how many grams of protein, carbs, and fats do I need to keep up with the 40 30 30 ratio of the zone?

What is the ratios for

building muscle
losing fat
or both?

The reason I'm asking this is this: One of my friends at work (I do restock) thought that I wasn't eating enough protein so he bought me a 50 g protein shake to see how I would react to it throughout the day. Come to figure out that I think he was right. I went to http://www.fitday.com (WFS) (haven't been there in awhile) and very quickly just counted my grams for protein and it seems like I'm not eating enough protein as well.

I remember reading online that you have to eat 1 g of protein x body weight and he said I should eat 1.5 g. Is that true or not? If thats the case, then should I do the math based off that for carbs and fats based off the 40 30 30 ratio? I'm going to calculate it off of fitday.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: how many grams of protein, carbs, and fat?

Wow, you are confused.

Are you doing the Zone, or are you doing something different? Because you say you want to do the Zone but then you go into this thing about protein amounts.

Building muscle you need 1g/#BW or MORE. The Zone ratio sucks for building muscle, I'll say it here. You need more protein than the Zone gives. You are better off just eating, then eating more.

Maintaining, the Zone .7 works well to a point, but you'll eventually have to up your fat blocks.

Your friend is right, you need to eat more, but as far as how much, that is different for each individual.

You need to figure out how many blocks you should be eating and start there. We can't do that for you without information such as how tall you are, how much you weigh, yadda, yadda.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Daniel Krull

Profile:

I thought my signature explained it itself. 6 feet tall, usually around 175 lbs, male, 24 years old. I just want to make sure I'm eating correctly thats all.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Krull View Post
I thought my signature explained it itself. 6 feet tall, usually around 175 lbs, male, 24 years old. I just want to make sure I'm eating correctly thats all.
Ah its late.

17-19 blocks. Increase fat blocks when performance decreases. Have fun!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
Daniel Krull

Profile:

thanks. So I guess then I shouldn't worry about the protein grams then? I just want to make sure so that its not eating up my muscle instead.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Krull View Post
thanks. So I guess then I shouldn't worry about the protein grams then? I just want to make sure so that its not eating up my muscle instead.
If you want to grow, ditch the Zone and eat a ton.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 AM   #7
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
If you want to grow, ditch the Zone and eat a ton.
What does your diet look like? Do you still try to maintain a zone style of eating and increase consumption, or do you have a different approach?