CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #31
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Shane Carwin & Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blount View Post
Everyone should watch the "Bigger Stronger Faster" documentary on steroids. It is entertaining and informative. I watched it online through Netflix.
It is currently doing a stint on Showtime -- just watched it for the 2nd time last night. According to their schedule, it is airing again Saturday October 2. Set the dvr.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #32
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

If you want to do steroids, do steroids. If you dont want to do steroids, dont do steroids. End of discussion. Thread closed.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #33
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"If you want to do steroids, do steroids. If you dont want to do steroids, dont do steroids"

THis was once the case. Sadly, it is not anymore.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #34
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"If you want to do steroids, do steroids. If you dont want to do steroids, dont do steroids"

Not in the "land of the free," anyway
Old 09-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #35
Andrew D White

Profile:

Quote:
Andrew,

I thought about it before I wrote it. If you think that someone has the right to do something, then someone else has to have the right to provide it. With supply, you have no choice.
Sorry, I completely forgot about this conversation.

I know you thought about it before you wrote it. You're no dummy, at least from what I gather reading your thoughts here.

I'm challenging you to think of it in broader more real world terms.

As an example:
In a perfect world, Carwin can buy steroids from the pharmacy at his local Target without a scrip.
However, if I buy steroids from Carwin, how do I know that he has any expertise in what is or is not a steroid that I want to use? How do I know that Carwin has any level of accountability? How do I know his suppliers aren't just Westies or Russian mobsters who are homebrewing?
Back in the 90's it wasn't unheard of for people to nefariously peddle vials of cholesterol that were passed off as major label Steroids.

So, I can say it's okay for Carwin to use, but also say it's not okay for him to deal.

We have the FDA and licensed pharmacists for a reason. (I'm no fan of big pharma either.)

Back in the days of raves, it wasn't uncommon to see people hawking homegrown pharmies that were pretty good cosmetic knock offs of the top shelf X people liked. If you were in the rave scene, you know how that ended for some people.
Spoiler: Death

Shane Carwin could peddle something that has Glaxo packaging photoshopped and printed on an offset press in someone's garage. He could sell materials brewed in someone's basement. And, he could sell it to folks too young or old and enamored with Shane Carwin the MMA fighter to be critical. How does one go about verifying the quality of an injectable without lab tools and know how?

On the other hand, he could just say "Yeah, I use ________." And, the people who want to be cool like Carwin could go down to the local Target and buy it OTC from a licensed pharmacist and a reputable outlet with accountability.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #36
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Andrew,

Your example is fine if it is legal to buy AAS or PED, but it's not currently that way in the US. Your argument is one of the reason I think the laws shoud be changed.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #37
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I think you're completely misreading Jamie's argument. He didn't say that *anyone* should be able to sell steroids, just that a right to use them implies a need for legal sellers. Those sellers could then be regulated within the same framework as any other pharmaceutical.

Katherine
Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #38
Andrew D White

Profile:

No, I'm not misreading it. He challenged something I said and I'm trying to redirect his viewpoint on it.

I believe in personal freedoms. It's not at odds with the free market and regulation.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #39
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:

Why is it sad? What if some 18 year old linebacker misses out on a free ride to college and a starting spot on a D1 football team because some kid who decided to use steroids got it instead? Or the kid who was one step away from his dream of playing pro-baseball, but couldn't because there were other guys out there that were better power hitters and used steroids?

I don't have a problem with people using them, but when it starts to affect other people, then there's nothing sad about restrictions being put in place. Since when was keeping the playing field fair in sports a bad thing? 85% of all steroid users in this country (taken from Bigger, Stronger, Faster) are the recreational gym rats just looking to get bigger and stronger. These people rarely get caught, the media never makes a big fuss over it, and they just go about their daily lives like you or me. That's not the group I'm disputing you statement for. It's the ones that use them at the expense of someone else that bother me

Last edited by Thomas Green; 09-02-2010 at 09:52 AM..
Old 09-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #40
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew D White View Post
I believe in personal freedoms. It's not at odds with the free market and regulation.
Should blood doping in pro cycling be allowed? Where do you draw the line? Like you said, personal freedoms and enforcing rules are not at odds with one another. Couldn't you also say blood doping encroaches on the freedom of a cyclist that doesn't want to have to undergo blood transfusions just to compete?

Last edited by Thomas Green; 09-02-2010 at 09:51 AM..