CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Benjamin Van Horrick

Profile:
Mre Help

Going to the field next week and need suggestions for Paleo friendly MREs/snack ideas?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Kayla Barth

Profile:
Re: Mre Help

LOL I had the same problem. I would say the Tuna one is your best bet. I took out a bunch of tuna packets, jerky, dried fruit and nuts. If you had more time I would have told you to order some paleo kits. Sorry I can't be of more help. Try and stay warm up there. Beware of those Midwest snow storms that come out of nowhere.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Jerky, nuts, homemade trail mix, and whey protein to mix with water are a few things I'd take. MREs are about the worst quality food you can possibly eat--all kinds of additives and preservatives and very high in processed carbs.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

I'm in the same predicament brother. The tuna is the best. I just eat that, skip the mayo and all the rest.

When it comes to MREs, I try to stay within Zone proportions, because paleo is absolutely impossible. Partially hydrogenated EVERYTHING.

Try to stick to the stuff with the least amount of sugar, and don't eat more than 2 MRE's a day.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Adam Acosta

Profile:

I guess it depends on what you're actually doing, but in the past, I've eaten every damn MRE I could get my hands on, everything in them except the dairy shakes, and still inevitably lost weight. On civilian hiking/mountaineering trips, I'd bring all of the dehydrated meat and fruit I could get, plus a crapload of nuts and seeds. I'd probably bring some gotein packets as well, now that I know about them. It doesn't provide the ideal mixture (though it's still better than most), but it's convenient to have single serving packets that mix with water.