CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-12-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
Paul Szoldra

Profile:
Government Regulated Diet

I posted this on my blog, and I'll repost here because I'm interested in the discussion. Here's a partial:

Quote:
APPENDIX I: HISTORY OF DIETARY GUIDELINES FOR AMERICANS

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, developed jointly by the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Agriculture, provide recommendations based on current scientific knowledge about how dietary intake can reduce risk for major chronic diseases. The Guidelines form the basis of Federal food, nutrition education, and information programs. First published in 1980 and revised in 1985 and 1990, Public Law 101-445, 3, now requires publication of the Dietary Guidelines at least every 5 years beginning in 1995 (1). This legislation also requires review by the Secretaries of USDA and HHS of all Federal dietary-guidance-related publications for the general public (1). The fourth edition of the Dietary Guidelines is scheduled for release in 1995.
(...)

Quote:
Let’s Move!

Childhood obesity or excess weight threatens the healthy future of one third of American children. We spend $150 billion every year to treat obesity-related conditions, and that number is growing.

Obesity rates tripled in the past 30 years, a trend that means, for the first time in our history, American children may face a shorter expected lifespan than their parents.

We need to get moving. Join First Lady Michelle Obama, community leaders, teachers, doctors, nurses, moms and dads in a nationwide campaign to tackle the challenge of childhood obesity.

Let’s Move! has an ambitious but important goal: to solve the epidemic of childhood obesity within a generation.

Let’s Move will give parents the support they need, provide healthier food in schools, help our kids to be more physically active, and make healthy, affordable food available in every part of our country.
Isn't it amazing how our obesity problem in the United States rose considerably right after 1980?

Think this new program is actually going to make any difference?
Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
Anthony Ricci

Profile:
Re: Government Regulated Diet

Paul-I have 4 daughters and have introduced Paleo and Paleo Zone to them and it has trickled into their schools . The teachers always want more info-they are baffled-most are overweight and looking to lose weight .
There is poor nutritional info in schools,hospitals etc and worst of all Medical docs have no training in nutrition just meds once you are sick-great system of sick care-works for the drug establishment not so much for us. Nuff said

Anthony Ricci D.C.

M/47/175/5' 11"
Old 02-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Two points -

1: People would be a lot healthier if they actually followed the governments advice on nutrition rather than eating supersized servings of junk food while claiming they're following the governments advice and whining that their government made them fat.

2: Americans have been getting fatter over the past 30-40 years because calorie intakes have increased from an average of 2,450 kcals/d to 2,618 kcals/d for men and from 1,542 kcals/d to 1,877 kcals/d for women (source*). While it's true that most of those extra calories have come from refined CHO surplus calories from any source will result in weight gain.

*Link wfs*
Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

Darryl,

It is my belief that our rise in calories is a direct result from the rise in refined carbohydrate consumption. These "empty calories" need to be eaten in much greater numbers in order for a person to reach satiety.

Second, since the Dietary Guidelines, the supermarket has seen a dramatic shift in "low fat" foods, more processed and refined carbohydrate products, etc. This along with dramatic subsidies for grain and corn has given us a million products using some kind of corn, like high fructose corn syrup.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Two points -

1: People would be a lot healthier if they actually followed the governments advice on nutrition rather than eating supersized servings of junk food while claiming they're following the governments advice and whining that their government made them fat.

2: Americans have been getting fatter over the past 30-40 years because calorie intakes have increased from an average of 2,450 kcals/d to 2,618 kcals/d for men and from 1,542 kcals/d to 1,877 kcals/d for women (source*). While it's true that most of those extra calories have come from refined CHO surplus calories from any source will result in weight gain.

*Link wfs*
It's next to impossible to maintain any kind of reasonable (low) caloric intake on the governments RDA of breads/grains/cereal. Please tell me you understand this.

Last edited by Jason David; 02-12-2010 at 07:31 AM..
Old 02-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I bet if you could get statistics for average daily calorie intakes from sodas, energy drinks, and Starbucks milkshakes-disguised-as-coffee, you'd see a pretty significant increase over the last 30 years, an increase that probably has a tight correlation with obesity rates. People have always eaten McDonald's, but getting an extra 300-500 nutritionally devoid calories of straight HFCS from a Monster/Frappaccino is a fairly recent addition to the American diet. And aside from the calories, those type of drinks mess up insulin sensitivity and don't do anything as far as satiation goes.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
It's next to impossible to maintain any kind of reasonable (low) caloric intake on the governments RDA of breads/grains/cereal. Please tell me you understand this...
Jason, you've been around these boards long enough to know. Darryl does not believe this. He is the dissenting opinion on these boards that keeps people in check.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Jason, you've been around these boards long enough to know. Darryl does not believe this. He is the dissenting opinion on these boards that keeps people in check.

I know. Just like when somebody is doing crappy push-ups at my gym. I let them know every time.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Szoldra View Post
Darryl,

It is my belief that our rise in calories is a direct result from the rise in refined carbohydrate consumption. These "empty calories" need to be eaten in much greater numbers in order for a person to reach satiety.
Well you're partly right, most of the increase in calories over the past 30-40 years has come from refined CHO but it isn't the satiety of CHO that's the problem it's the ease with which you can eat relatively large amounts of extrinsic sugars resulting in the passive overconsumption of calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Szoldra View Post
Second, since the Dietary Guidelines, the supermarket has seen a dramatic shift in "low fat" foods, more processed and refined carbohydrate products, etc. This along with dramatic subsidies for grain and corn has given us a million products using some kind of corn, like high fructose corn syrup.
It's true that supermarkets have marketed a far wider range of low/reduced fat products than in the past however fat intakes have remained relatively stable at 30-35% of total energy over the past 30-40 years with the total fat intake of men decreasing by just 5.3g/d and increasing by 6.5g/d for women. As previously stated though calorie intakes have increased and when surplus calories are consumed weight will be gained regardless of where those calories come from.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
Paul Szoldra

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post

*Link wfs*
Using your numbers, additional calories for men is 168. For women, 335. According to the conventional wisdom, 3500 calories is equal to 1 pound.

Now, here are the statistics from the CDC, 1960-2006. (Please click this link to see the full chart)

Table 2. Age-adjusted* prevalence of overweight, obesity and extreme obesity among U.S. adults, age 20-74 years**

1960-62
Overweight (BMI >= 25 < 30): 33.1
Obese (BMI >= 30): 13.4
Extremely Obese (BMI >= 40): 0.9

2005-06
Overweight (BMI >= 25 < 30): 32.2
Obese (BMI >= 30): 35.1
Extremely Obese (BMI >= 40): 6.2