CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #31
Joe Gazmen

Profile:
Re: Rev X Jump Rope Testing for Again Faster

Alrighty, one month in and here we go with a second review on the Rev X Rope!

Bottom line, I love this rope. I have stored it in my gym bag coiled up and it unrolls perfectly every time. Beyond that, the action of the rope is great. It is, as I said before fast. Not only that, but I feel an incredible amount of control when using this rope I can vary the speed of my double unders much more easily than with a standard wire rope. That and my efficiency with the movement (which was pretty darn efficient before) feels like it has increased significantly. The rope is still very light, choosing not to get its speed via the weight of the handles and overall unit, but by its choice of wire and bearing. The comment I made before about the roughness of the handle end still holds true, although as I have grown accustomed to the rope, it has become a non-issue. Given the choice between another, more expensive rope and the Rev X, I would choose the Rev X, hands down.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #32
Erik Monson

Profile:

Here is my review after using the Rev X rope for one month.

I simply did not like the handle. In particular, I did not like the weight (too light) and the taper. The rough spots on the base of the handle were distracting. Sandpaper was a little bit helpful, though.

As mentioned in my out-of-the box review one month ago, my previous rope was the Rogue SR-1S. In a handle-vs-handle comparison only, the Rogue SR-1S wins.

The Rev X cable held up very well. Unlike the Rogue cable, the Rev X cable did not kink or twist despite being stored in a water bottle-sized pouch in my backpack for extended periods of time in varying (but usually cold) temperatures. The Rev X rope uncurls itself immediately. I did not have to take it out at the beginning of a WOD and hang it lengthwise or bend it around to unkink it, either. Just grab and go. There is no way I could do that with the Rogue cable and expect to get a respectable string of double unders.

The SR-1S is faster. The Rev X is nearly as fast, but the cable is more durable and far more reliable.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #33
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

Ok so my one month review. I absolutely love the cable. I feel like it is the perfect speed, the perfect weight, and it never kinks or holds a shape other than the normal shape it is supposed to be. The only flaw with this jump rope is the handle. Like i mentioned in the unboxing post, the handle is just too sharp on the bottom where it sits in your palm. I have used this handle exclusively over the rogue sr-1 with the short handle so that I could give a legitimate review.... and at the end of the month, if again faster can put a better handle on the rope then i would prefer the rev x, but in the mean time, the handle is uncomfortable enough that it makes me hesitant to continue to use it. I didn't try to sand paper it, so I may try that.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #34
Jon Gilson

Profile:

Gents,

I'm looking into the handle edge issue now. Thanks for bringing it up, and thanks for testing the ropes.

I appreciate the feedback a ton; it makes us better!

Best,

Jon
Old 02-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #35
Jon Gilson

Profile:

Guys,

I spoke with the manufacturer, who confirmed they had a rough batch of handles. They thought they'd weeded them all out prior to shipment, but evidently, they missed a few.

The problem no longer exists, but I'm going to make sure each tester gets another rope. They should be in your possession shortly!

Best,

Jon
Old 02-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #36
Craig Sifers

Profile:

One month in. I guess I was lucky and didn't get one of the ropes with the rough bottom or at least I haven't noticed if I did.

This rope is now my go to. It took a little bit of adjusting but after finding the prefect length and grip I can now fly through DU's. I thought my DU's were pretty efficient before but I really did notice a difference in ease and speed with this rope. I really enjoy the weight of the rope as I can "feel" the rope and adjustments are made more easily on the fly. As others have stated the cable uncoils perfectly out of my bag even after being stored for a few days. I am grateful that I was given this opportunity and even more grateful that I have now found my new favorite rope!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #37
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

Thanks Jon. That is awesome that you are doing that. For me, the edge of the handle was the only thing stopping this from being the perfect rope, BUT now I'm hoping that with the new handle, it will be perfect. Can't wait to try it!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #38
Jay Taylor

Profile:

My initial review still stands. This is my go to rope. I keep it stored coiled up in my bag and it uncoils and stays flat when I take it out. I have no issues with the handles like some others here have stated. My girlfriend always steals this rope from me rather than use her Rogue rope. Highly recommended.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #39
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

hey Jon, any idea when you think we may have the ropes with new handles? I really want to "get my hands on it". thanks again
Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #40
Joseph Medeiros

Profile:

So its been 3 months for me using this rope and like I posted when i first got it, the only negative about it is the sharp edges of the handle. Jon has stated that it was a manufacturing defect so if that is the case, this rope would be perfect. I still have not received the rope with the corrected handle, but when I do I will post a new update... and I'm sure it will be that I love the rope. Have any of the other reviewers received the rope with the new handles yet?