CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Josh Fiebig

Profile:
Fastest way to RX

There are new people discovering CrossFit every day. Especially with the global nature of CrossFit, many start dreaming of competing, or even going to the CrossFit Games, before a box even opens in their city, or country.

Sometimes they become so overwhelmed with all of the options presented, and the multitude of skills to develop, that they feel lost or discouraged. This is even more frequent when people are unsure of scaling. So what does a person do when they want to do the WODs as RX'd?

I have trained several Crossfitters from the novice stage all the way to the Open. Recently, I became interested in publishing my programming designed to help people reach RX as soon as possible. I would like to get some feedback on who might be interested in this, and what might be the best way to make this info available.

There are some amazing WOD programmers out there. But no one really focusses on the Novices who would like to progress quickly. Unless you live near a box with a great coach, you will probably have limited options on how to get better at CrossFit fast.

Let me know if I can help you.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Fastest way to RX

Oh, and what are you charging?

- Mark
Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Josh Fiebig

Profile:

Actually, at this point I'm just planning on a free forum, similar to other programmers. If customization was necessary (special circumstances, lack of equipment), I might charge to do additional work. I was just going to gauge interest with this forum post.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

Sounds great. I can't imagine some starting into CrossFit without a good coach. I've learned more about good form and movements then I likely would've ever known I needed to learn on my own. I've an excellant coach that is very encouraging, but also reinforces the need for patience in progress and the need for rest and recovery when some of us would let our enthusiasm get the best of us. Initially, I couldn't do any WODs rx. Now 14 weeks into it,I can probably do 1/2 without scaling (times do still lag behind the rest at the box). The deficits in the others is lack of sufficient strength. The strength and better times will come in time.

At 49, I think I'll enjoy watching the games from the sidelines...

I've got absolute confidence in my coach, but would still like to see what you have.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Josh Fiebig

Profile:

There is no website that could ever be a substitute for good coaching. I would never attempt to replace one-on-one, personalized advice and direction with something online. I have 12 years worth of experience as a certified fitness professional. But I have also traveled significantly, and in so doing I have noticed that many people have no other options.

The Internet has become a fantastic educational resource, making knowledge and skills available to millions who would otherwise be left in the dark. With new Crossfitters, the tendency is to progress too quickly, and this exposes them to injuries. These injuries can sideline them for a long time, or inhibit their abilities to learn more complex movements.

Progressing steadily, yet carefully, is a difficult thing to accomplish. I simply want to help Crossfitters who desire to advance to do so quickly, but safely.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

" With new Crossfitters, the tendency is to progress too quickly, and this exposes them to injuries."

That, even more than other CrossFitter's endorsements, is what made me walk into the box. Several times over the past 10 years or so, I started working out and lifting only to injure myself. I wanted someone to help me who would prevent me from injury.

You are right: nothing written will replace the global benefits of a good coach, but something is better than nothing for those who don't have access because of geography or finances.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Chris Bendix

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Fiebig View Post
There is no website that could ever be a substitute for good coaching. I would never attempt to replace one-on-one, personalized advice and direction with something online. I have 12 years worth of experience as a certified fitness professional. But I have also traveled significantly, and in so doing I have noticed that many people have no other options.

The Internet has become a fantastic educational resource, making knowledge and skills available to millions who would otherwise be left in the dark. With new Crossfitters, the tendency is to progress too quickly, and this exposes them to injuries. These injuries can sideline them for a long time, or inhibit their abilities to learn more complex movements.

Progressing steadily, yet carefully, is a difficult thing to accomplish. I simply want to help Crossfitters who desire to advance to do so quickly, but safely.
I would like some of you assistance you are offering, where do we go from here?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Mark Blair

Profile:

I would like more info on this too
Old 07-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Josh Fiebig

Profile:

This thread was designed to 'test the waters' and see if there was an audience for this type of programming. Since I have had a number of people on this forum and others respond, I figured I would get some more specific feedback.

What do you think would be the best way to proceed? Would it be most convenient to set up a blog, similar to other CF boxes? If I would do so, would people follow and post their results?

Honestly, I am not doing this to make money. I have a very streamlined approach to CF programming that I am hoping to test out on a larger population of people. Eventually, I will use this knowledge to better personalize programs. Successfully doing that will lead to income, but it is not the immediate goal. Anybody interested should let me know so I can get started as soon as possible.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Jason Bosch

Profile:

I'm interested in seeing what you can offer as well. I would love to be able to RX more WODs.