CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #941
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Gslp

My log is a little misleading given how many times I've been sidelined due to rugby injuries, multiple cross-country moves, etc. over the last two years. The injuries typically hurt my ability to squat/dead more than they affected my ability to do upper body lifts, but for some reason my bench and press have bounced back quickly even after layoffs.

If I remember right, at least 3 times on GSLP I would get 3 sets of 5 at 165lbs on press and 285lbs on bench, then stall at 170/290...whereas on 5/3/1 I still haven't come close to stalling on upper body lifts. Hit 4 reps on my 1+ press at 180lbs yesterday, and 8 reps on my 3+ bench at 265lbs last week. I think the highest I ever got with squats on GSLP was 360 for 3 sets of 5 which was beating me up, and in between injuries on 5/3/1 I got up to 370x4 at one point.

I don't buy the "weights aren't heavy enough to benefit from 5/3/1" argument...Wendler has posted several examples of beginners making steady (though not quite as fast as LP) gains on his program, and the whole point of the + sets and assistance work is that you're able to tax yourself sufficiently for gains.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #942
Will Feber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Wendler has posted several examples of beginners making steady (though not quite as fast as LP) gains on his program, and the whole point of the + sets and assistance work is that you're able to tax yourself sufficiently for gains.
Just to play devils advocate: Just because Wendler posts some examples of beginners where it worked, doesn't mean that it works for 100% of the people that try it. I've also seen quite a few reports of people that said they made no progress or lost strength with some lifts on 5/3/1, when they've had success with other programs before.

I don't think that's bad. Just like some people can't continue with GSLP at some point, because it's too taxing, while others can deal with it perfectly fine, I would think there are some where 5/3/1 just doesn't work for whatever reason.

I'm gonna give it shot for a few months, also to mix things up a bit. Plan is to do something similar what Robb Wolf describes here:

Edit: can't seem to link to robb wolf. You will find the post if you google for "My Training And Adrenal Fatigue"

Just power cleaning twice, instead of snatch once and clean once. Can't really snatch at my gym.

That way I will be able to do some simple conditioning and also work on some gymnastic stuff.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #943
Kiko Llaneras

Profile:

During the next months I will have many weekend travels so I will only be able to do my workouts from monday to thursday. How will you adapt your GSLP routine?

Currently I am doing three workouts (M, W, F) and one extra day of conditioning.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #944
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

MTuTh or just GSLP twice a week, condition once. MW GSLP, condition Th.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #945
Vladimir Demirev

Profile:
Villain Challenge#2

Hi Guys,

I started working towards completing villain challenge#2 (50 bodyweight squats) and am curious if someone here who has tried it can share some insight.

My BWT is 85kg and I'm following Steel's advice,i.e. week 1 2x20 @60% BW, week 2 3x20 @60% BW and so on and the test should take place on week 6 (week 5 is 5x20 @60% BW).

Thanks for sharing your experience with that.

Vlad
Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #946
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Not squats, but a variation using lunges. I trained for a while using nothing but the villainous challenges (when laid out properly a great program can be made) when I was working towards a couple of goals.

Richard
Old 10-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #947
Vladimir Demirev

Profile:
Re: Villain Challenge#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Demirev View Post
Hi Guys,

I started working towards completing villain challenge#2 (50 bodyweight squats) and am curious if someone here who has tried it can share some insight.

My BWT is 85kg and I'm following Steel's advice,i.e. week 1 2x20 @60% BW, week 2 3x20 @60% BW and so on and the test should take place on week 6 (week 5 is 5x20 @60% BW).

Thanks for sharing your experience with that.

Vlad
Hi,

Challenge completed!
It was not as difficult as I thought it would be and it challenged my endurance much more than my strength.

Now I'm moving to the 100 push-ups challenge, maybe will give a try in a month.

Regarding the GSLP program, I got a question on the neck harness - lastly did 4 sets x24kg x86 reps. I'm doing the harness 3 times a week and am increasing the reps by one each workout. Do I have to reduce the volume at some point to avoid overtraining? Or it's ok to go on lie that?

Thanks,
Vlad
Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #948
Joe Wright

Profile:

Hey All,
After some injuries and a change in gyms, I'm finally working through the basics of GSLP. It looks like it has been a little while since anyone has bumped the thread, but I'm hoping for some general advice about my deadlift.

For the last couple years, I was focused on oly lifting, and I didn't do any traditional deadlifts. Given that, I started at 225#--no big hurry to hit a wall. I've been breaking 10 reps for the set each week, so I did ten pound jumps. Last week, after a twenty pound jump, I repped 290# ten times. I decided to go ahead and test my max, and I worked up to 385# for a single.

I have the GSLP book, and I know it's not based on 1RM's, but I'm not sure what number to build from now. Any advice on what weight to use going forward would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #949
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

5RM as a % of 1RM is going to vary widely from one person to the next, so I would just make a few weeks worth of larger jumps and let things sort themselves out over time. If you're getting 10+ reps, do a few weeks of 15lb jumps then cut back to 10lbs once you're in the 8-10 rep range, and 5lbs once you're in the 5-7 rep range.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #950
Joe Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
5RM as a % of 1RM is going to vary widely from one person to the next, so I would just make a few weeks worth of larger jumps and let things sort themselves out over time. If you're getting 10+ reps, do a few weeks of 15lb jumps then cut back to 10lbs once you're in the 8-10 rep range, and 5lbs once you're in the 5-7 rep range.
Thanks Eric, I'll give this a try.