CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #21
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: I can't take it anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Good bye.
Bingo.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #22
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
In four years, he decided to stop wearing shirts :P
Don't forget the board shorts.

(Not to pick on Greg here; we're just kidding around.)
Old 03-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #23
Emily Mattes

Profile:

One more thing, in case David is still paying attention.

Go to Crossfit Kids and check out videos of Connor and David, especially recent ones. You can search "Connor Crossfit" or "David Crossfit Kids" and find YouTube videos of them.

If I'm not mistaken, these guys are around your age. And they have been Crossfitting/training for YEARS. On Connor's BrandX bio, it says he's been training at their gym since 1999, and he's now 16. If you look at pictures of them, they do not look like Greg. They look fit and muscular, but they don't look anywhere near Greg or Brandon (no offense to Connor or David if they read these forums!). Obviously, it has nothing to do with lack of training or fitness or a poor program--they're just about five to ten years off from their full growth, and it's dumb to expect they're going to get muscles of that size until then.

So David, you gotta be patient, you really do. Unless you want to enter into a bodybuilding program, you are not going to get juiced for a while.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:46 AM   #24
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Good thought, Emily.

Connor and David are CF monsters now ... God help us all when they've finished their physical development in another 5-6 years, CF style.

It will be like something out of science fiction.

t
Old 03-31-2008, 09:29 AM   #25
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Do you own the book Starting Strength? If not, then I'd wager that you're probably not actually doing the program. I'm 22, and my squat went from 95 lbs to 195 lbs in 6 weeks; this happend mostly because I ate like a beast, drank my milk, and slept like a the tired animal I was. Besides those things, I stuck to the program, read and re-read (and re-read x 15) the book, getting something new from each reading.

Make sure you get the milk in; it's pretty much the only way I can put on weight, as it supplies me with cheap, easy to drink calories. When my weight gain slows, I just bump up my consumption.

It took me up until the last few workouts to finally feel as if I was beginning to understand the squat, and I obsessed over the thing non stop.

Buy the book, and do the program by the book.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #26
Alex Blum

Profile:

why would you wager he is not doing the program? his strength and size have skyrocketed
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #27
Jeff Martin

Profile:

A few vids

Clean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFcJg2RP2n8
Jerk, I know this is ugly but there is a point to be made here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFcJg2RP2n8
Jason WOD
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...sonWODdemo.wmv

Connor (and David) did CrossFit exclusively for years. They were and are very fit. Last year they added some extra lifting. The years of technique work set them up to make great gains quickly.
Currently Connor Back Squats 275, Presses 145, Deadlifts 300. He also does 30 muscle ups in under 5:00, Angie in under 14:00 and has over 30 rounds on Cindy.

What weight the boys do carry is productive, not just weight for weights sake. They can stand in one spot and lift heavy if its required, they also can do Metcon work with the best CrossFitters out there. If you are just looking for a big squat do Starting Strength. If you want it all devote yourself to CrossFit and add extra strength training to it as you adapt.

Last edited by Jeff Martin : 03-31-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #28
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blum View Post
why would you wager he is not doing the program? his strength and size have skyrocketed
Most beginners will experience a huge leap in strength simply from lifting; I say he's probably not doing the program because until one reads the book and is presented with the plethora of verbal and visual descriptions Rippetoe offers, they probably are not squatting very well. This, of course, doesn't mean that everyone who does SS without reading the book is squatting incorrectly, merely that they probably have some issues that SS would make clear, as well as offering them solutions and cues to fix those issues.

It took me over 15 read throughs and 6 weeks of squatting 3x a week to begin to feel that my squat is coming along; it is probable that a 15 year old who hasn't read the book (assuming he hasn't) probably isn't lifting with the greatest form. The cues and information in that book arm one with a great tool, which, while not a replacement for a good coach, at least give the budding weightlifter a chance. Bodybuilding.com's Rippetoe Faq is near useless in comparison, and I'm sure the writer would agree. Doing the correct exercises in the correct order do not a Starting Strength desciple make.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #29
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Listen to these guys. 14# is a great gain! Don't worry about your pullups. You're pulling more mass! Don't read Muscle magazines and other crap about quick gains. You're making quick gains. With crossfit we make the gains in a way that we keep them. The fast bulk up has left many an injured bodybuilder. Time to regroup and refocus. B'Hatzlacha.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:07 PM   #30
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blum View Post
Because if he did he would know that adding 14lbs of mass in six weeks are great results.