CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
adam adkins

Profile:
Re: Exercise to focus on tummy fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
Squat Heavy
Sprints

No LSD

What most people are actually referring to is "medium speed long distance." And I agree that should just say no that that version of LSD. But
you have to remember that the leanest people in the world do a ton of true long slow distance.

I understand it is cool to knock LSD - I do almost constantly- but you can't argue with results.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #22
Todd Rehm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
The advantage of "LSD" training over heavy sprinting and lifting is that it's less likely to burn you out and you can do it every day.
Adding 30-60 minutes of walking, particularly in the morning before you eat, can add some volume without having much noticeable negative effect on your training.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #23
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Rehm View Post
Adding 30-60 minutes of walking, particularly in the morning before you eat, can add some volume without having much noticeable negative effect on your training.
Exactly. Swimming lightly in cold water will burn a ton calories too since the body will require more heat to stay warm.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #24
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I never found swimming helpful for leaning a person out (high school swim team). I now use it to make me hungry so I can eat more.

Calories in and Calories out neglects the Calories burned during recovery. Squatting will burn less during the exercise, but more in the long run (longer recovery time, added muscle, etc.). Assuming a similar effort.

Lifting causes the muscles to demand more calories in the recovery to build them back up. The rebuilt muscle demands more calories for maintenance and activity.
LSD or MSD will burn tons of calories in the activity, but not in the recovery. According to my experience, most of the recovery from LSD is replenishment of the caloric deficit created.

The claim that the leanest people in the world do a lot of LSD training is in contradiction to Crossfit's claim that sprinters have better bodies than LSD people. LSD athletes are the thinnest, and smallest, but in wise lean. LSD demands a caloric storage to maintain the activity. After so many miles, the carbohydrate store runs dry, and the body taps into the fat. Without fat your body is at a loss.

Sprinters have the same effect of lifting. Sprinters also require a high power to bodyweight ratio. Lower fat, lower bodyweight, higher ratio. LSD doesn't.

I was skinny fat during swim team. Once I started sandbag lifting and wrestling, I leaned out and got the "six pack"

EDIT:

Cold water will make your body "want" fat as insulation
Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #25
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
LSD demands a caloric storage to maintain the activity. After so many miles, the carbohydrate store runs dry, and the body taps into the fat. Without fat your body is at a loss.
It's negligible. Even the smallest, thinnest, male marathoner with 2% bodyfat is going to have enough fat oxidation to run more than 4x the distance he is going to run in any given training session.

And fat oxidation is suboptimal for performance. That's why endurance athletes eat high carbohydrate diets.

Quote:
Sprinters have the same effect of lifting. Sprinters also require a high power to bodyweight ratio. Lower fat, lower bodyweight, higher ratio. LSD doesn't.
I don't understand. Any type of running or swimming will want the highest power to bodyweight ratio possible, not just sprinters.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #26
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

Quote:
It's negligible. Even the smallest, thinnest, male marathoner with 2% bodyfat is going to have enough fat oxidation to run more than 4x the distance he is going to run in any given training session.
What about the when athletes hit the "wall?" I thought that is when the body has used up a lot if not the majority of the carbohydrate store, and then starts using the fat. Also, our bodies don't exclusively use carbs, then switch to fat when its gone. It uses both at various levels at various times.

And if LSD doesn't use much fat, then how would it be very effective in fat reduction. I have never had much of a recovery from LSD. More of just an eat fest. Lifting, on the other hand, has had a long recovery for me.

All athletes would want a high power to weight ratio, but sprinters have a higher demand for that then LSD athletes.

You are far more of an authority than me, but my personal experience is just in opposition. I doubt I am an exception
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #27
Dave Mahoney

Profile:

Didn't see it mentioned but how is your sleep?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #28
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
What about the when athletes hit the "wall?" I thought that is when the body has used up a lot if not the majority of the carbohydrate store, and then starts using the fat. Also, our bodies don't exclusively use carbs, then switch to fat when its gone. It uses both at various levels at various times.
Right. But you don't to retain much bodyfat in order to support endurance work, either for sport or recreation/fat loss. About 2% bodyfat is more than sufficient, which is significantly lower than what most people will ever attain.

I got that figure from this peer-reviewed article (wfs):
http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/...l.pcbi.1000960

Quote:
And if LSD doesn't use much fat, then how would it be very effective in fat reduction.
Well, sprinting/lifting doesn't use fat either, but it will work well for fat loss too.

Light endurance work can be beneficial for fat loss because you're burning calories in the process of the activity without risking overtraining/injury. I've seen some evidence recently that said that high intensity training actually makes people hungrier after working out and therefore harder to lose fat, although I don't necessarily buy it.
Whether or not someone gorges after a workout is a matter of discipline. Ultimately if their caloric expenditure goes up and their diet remains the same, chances are they'll lose some weight.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #29
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
I've seen some evidence recently that said that high intensity training actually makes people hungrier after working out and therefore harder to lose fat, although I don't necessarily buy it.
Whether or not someone gorges after a workout is a matter of discipline. Ultimately if their caloric expenditure goes up and their diet remains the same, chances are they'll lose some weight.
Well high intensity exercise will burn through muscle glycogen stores faster, which will actually elicit an insulin response following the workout that will stimulate hunger in order to replenish said glycogen stores. So I could easily see higher intensity training stimulating more hunger.

All that said, fat loss is going to be achieved much more easily in the diet than the workout. Unless you are a Div-1 athlete burning 4,000+ calories a day (and thats only in workouts) then the workout isn't going to overcome crap diet.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #30
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Well high intensity exercise will burn through muscle glycogen stores faster, which will actually elicit an insulin response following the workout that will stimulate hunger in order to replenish said glycogen stores. So I could easily see higher intensity training stimulating more hunger.
It's certainly my experience that it does.

And while it's true that appetite can be overcome through discipline, it's also true that most diets are not all that effective. Very few people are able to ignore their hunger consistently enough to lose significant amounts of weight. Hence the popularity of approaches that claim to promote weight loss while minimizing hunger.

Katherine