CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
Brian Fite

Profile:
Rig idea for my yard

Been racking my brain trying to decide on what to get for my back yard. I need to do WODs that require anything above my head to be out side as I am 6' 4" and my ceiling is low.

Considered the Castro Rig but I wanted to get rope climbs as close to 15' as possible. I was going to build something with timbers but I really wanted the steel frame like a Rogue rig so I decided to design my own free standing rig and I sent it to Rogue to see if they will slap it together for me. Hopefully they can.

They haven't laughed at me yet so who knows.

Please give any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rig Idea_1.jpg
Views:	9377
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	12429  

Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
James Gist

Profile:
Re: Rig idea for my yard

I am not familiar with a Castro Rig (I'll google it in a minute)...but you might have some luck going through a local welder to build what you want.

I was thinking of going local to have a (prowler type) sled built and I could definitely save a few bucks if you take shipping into account.

EDIT: I just looked up the Castro...I wonder if they could build you a taller Castro.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Unless you're ready to bury those uprights a ridiculous amount way more than 2 feet (and even then), that thing will not be stable with just 2 uprights. You might be able to get away with rope climbs and squats, but kipping movements put tremendous torque on the structure and need the depth-wise reinforcement. You will need a rectangle/box of 4 uprights to make it stable, like a castro rig or similar. The thing is, unless you're gaga for all the attachments, you could save so much bank by just cementing some long 4x6 pressure treated posts to do the same thing. Of course to make it a functional squat rack and add a shrimp trawler thingy would require a lot more DIYing than most people care for, but it's possible. I would just make a 4' by 6' box with 4x20 ft posts (if you MUST do rope climbs on the thing). Might take some planning to transport those timbers .

Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Mike Gin

Profile:

Agreed you need to go at least three uprights to keep that thing stable unless you bury the uprights a lot. I would go with the four upright design a la the Castro Rig and then instead of burying the uprights, use Sonotube and form in bolts into your concrete. Then bolt the Castro Rig to the four concrete piers and you'll be rock solid. Installing bolts into wet concrete and getting them all aligned is pretty challenging, so you could always tap into the concrete afterwards with red heads/concrete anchors. More work afterwards but at least you won't have any alignment issues. Sonotube is nice you won't waste as much concrete from a gigantic hole in the ground.

http://www.sonotube.com/ (wfs)

I really want to build something like that in the backyard but the wife said absolutely not...

Old 05-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Adrian Garcia

Profile:

Brian, sent you a PM.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Brian Fite

Profile:

Fair enough. I figured it would be a stretch but hey...

For me the 15' rope climb would be great as apposed to the 12' that the Castro would provide. I mean I am half way there just standing. Figur if I'm gonna do it, go yard.

Anyhoo looks like the Castro will be in my future. As long as I'm getting in a good workout I will be happy.

Thank you for your input everyone.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Mike Gin

Profile:

Start seated for your rope climbs (that's how I start in my garage since I have only about 11' to my vaulted ceiling) or don't jump and start as low as possible. Also, instead of reaching up and touching the top of the mark, climb all the way to the top. In the end you will be about equivalent really. A few inches here or there isn't going to make a significant difference.

Totally jealous though - would love to have that rig in my backyard...

Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Contact the guys at www.tritonequipped.com (wfs)

One of the guys in town has an outdoor rig they built with rope sections (15 feet I think).

They did my rig which folds up into ceiling of my garage. I love it.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Carl Brenton

Profile:

Rogue just put out 15 foot high uprights that they are using at the regionals for the rope climbs. I believe you can add them to any rig so you should be able to do that now with the Castro rig. If it's not available on the website yet just give them a call and I am sure they will hook you up.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:

Rogue delivered 15 foot uprights for the rig @ regionals, so they must come up for purchase sometime soon. I think they were monster series..

Closed Thread