CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #21
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:
Re: Other Crossfit Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
That's so lame. (or are we for still being here).
Not lame. Privileged.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #22
Sara Ochsner

Profile:

It wasn't trolls that got a lot of active users banned. It seemed to be the questioning of top men on the forum and not bending to "because I said so".

From my point of view if they can't have a community of yes men then it isn't worth their time.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #23
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Forums are such a useful tool to teach and learn from that I hate to see it go the way that it has. We have all disagreed with people in life as some have on here, but the common thread of crossfit and all that it encompasses is what brought us here.

BY FAR one of the most useful places to talk about such topics as strength training, endurance methods, GPP, and a host of other topics that you simply don't get from most forums due to a lack of maturity. This forum is VERY mature forum which is what I really liked about it. The knowledge some people have/had is quite extensive and I am so thankful for them.

The hardest part to see go will be everyone's log. I have nearly 40 pages of workouts that I like to reflect upon from time to time. Long time posters like Scott Jenkins, and Nik have around 1,500 pages of workouts going back to 2008. If nothing else I urge the forum leaders/owners that if you are really trying to shut it down, at the bare least, leave that one area for all of us that use it exactly as it was intended. I don't even know of another site I would want to keep a log on because this is about the only fitness forum I use. I don't want a blog. I don't want to have to look at some way to save them. But I will if the owners really are trying to shut it down.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #24
Milton Brisson

Profile:

I definitely agree with everything that Andrew said, I remember when I first joinmed in 2010, I dont know where I would have got the info I needed back then to keep going, and reading and following the logs of others was one of my favorite things about this forum.

When I look at the people that have been banned over the past year or so, I guess I got the sense of the type of conduct they want(ed) to have here, that has kind of made me taper my posting - I pretty much only post in my log anymore......

Oh well, if the plan is to shut the board down, I hope that they give us some notice so I can get my log copied out of here (I have 160 pages of info there). I loved the idea of posting it here, as I used flash drives at one point to keep mine, and I kept losing them....when I get discouraged about an apparent lack of progress in my lifts and fitness, its nice to go back and read the days of doing 14-minute Frans and maxing a squat out at 315....good reminder of the overall progress made!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #25
Snir Golan

Profile:

what are the chances that they will allow someone to use the CrossFit name in a forum? do you think that they will demand that you pay affiliation fee for that? i don't mind opening a new forum since i already have the web space and have no problem building one fairly quickly but i don't want to deal with being sued for this.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #26
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Is there any chance we could at least get an admin/mod to comment? I don't want to stir anything up, I just would hate to see this place die out and not letting new members join, especially in Games season seems like a good way to do that.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #27
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Is there any chance we could at least get an admin/mod to comment? I don't want to stir anything up, I just would hate to see this place die out and not letting new members join, especially in Games season seems like a good way to do that.
I agree. Spreading rumors is not a good thing, and with all of us posting that's kind of what it is. We are all taking a guess that this is what will happen.

Mod's, please, give us something to nibble on at least.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #28
Jason Fischer

Profile:

Forums can be some of the most useful or some of the worst sites online. I find this to be a pretty decent one, but I keep track of my training on the pendlay forum (also a really good one, but geared towards oly lifting). I went from someone who's never worked on a vehicle to doing my own transmission work thanks to a 4runner forum.

It's a shame that HQ is so militant in the protection of it's own image that they seem to feel the free exchange of ideas and opinions (ie - this forum) needs to be heavily monitored and/or shut down. Sure, the internet is a breeding ground for stupidity, but people generally seem to be pretty decent here.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #29
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

The forum has over 59,000 members registered, and about 800 "active." A lot of people sign up and read and lurk, and a lot of people sign up and forget about it.

Particularly as the community has grown, we're not the only game in town. 10K affiliates, as many blogs and facebook pages and etc., and, like the main page www.crossfit.com, we are less of the central place for discussion.

All of that said, there has never been a "mass banning." There are 186 banned users, and half of those are spammers who got banned after one or two posts. And the board isn't down to squash discussion.

The board was shut down in the interim of bringing a new, more fully featured and modern version on line; unfortunately that project has gotten bogged down. After the Games there should be a run at getting that project completed and getting registrations back up and running.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #30
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Thanks Lynne, I really appreciate the input, glad to hear things are going in the opposite direction of shutting things down!