CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #31
Stephen Georgiou
Member Stephen Georgiou is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sheffield  Yorkshire
Posts: 8
Re: 400m time guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
There are at least three competing standards here.

1. Those of a specialist (track athlete)
2. Those of a generalist (CrossFitter)
3. Those of a non-athlete (average Joe)

The confusion is arising because you guys are all thinking at different points on this spectrum.

Everyone's comments have been very helpful for me personally, but perhaps I started this thread off badly by categorizing elite, good, poor etc...these kinds of subjective categories depend entirely upon one's own bias.

How about we broaden it to the following (vague summary of what everyone has aleady stated):

specialist (track athlete): <60
generalist (crossfitter): 61-120 sec
non-athelete (average joe): >121sec

obviously these are now very broad categories, each of which can be further categorized.

Is this better?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #32
Carl Pawluk
Member Carl Pawluk is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DeWitt  MI
Posts: 36
Re: 400m time guidelines

Amazing!!

I love the open-mindedness of Crossfitters. Awesome. Stephen, now we're getting somewhere!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #33
Aileen Reid
Member Aileen Reid is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth  Western Australia
Posts: 485
Re: 400m time guidelines

I can be quite sensitive about this issue. When I was at school, school sports were set things, most of which I was hopeless at. Getting an "E" for phys Ed at school sort of makes you think you're hopeless. I've done more sport since leaving school and particularly weights and running. If I had to say anything it would be that I'm gifted at weights but not at running. But it doesn't mean I stop running. Because its hard for me I suppose its training effect for me might be greater than for a gifted person????? Who knows. But it keeps me fit, makes me feel good and that's really what counts in my book. For things like running the good thing is you only have to compete with yourself. Keep comparing yourself with others and you can end up pretty demoralised. I don't think that's what its about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:53 PM   #34
Veronica Davis
Member Veronica Davis is offline
 
Veronica Davis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington  DC
Posts: 2,704
Re: 400m time guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Georgiou View Post

How about we broaden it to the following (vague summary of what everyone has aleady stated):

specialist (track athlete): <60
generalist (crossfitter): 61-120 sec
non-athelete (average joe): >121sec

obviously these are now very broad categories, each of which can be further categorized.

Is this better?
That sounds about right to me. For the workouts like Nancy I'm at about 100 sec for a 400m. I'm sure that if I only had to do one 400m and nothing else I could shave at least 10 seconds off.
__________________
"I'm training for World Domination" - Karin Kellerman
http://www.veronicao.com ,My Crossfit Log , Crossfit Force Majeure (wfs)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:12 AM   #35
Stephen Georgiou
Member Stephen Georgiou is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sheffield  Yorkshire
Posts: 8
Re: 400m time guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileen Reid View Post
I can be quite sensitive about this issue. When I was at school, school sports were set things, most of which I was hopeless at. Getting an "E" for phys Ed at school sort of makes you think you're hopeless. I've done more sport since leaving school and particularly weights and running. If I had to say anything it would be that I'm gifted at weights but not at running. But it doesn't mean I stop running. Because its hard for me I suppose its training effect for me might be greater than for a gifted person????? Who knows. But it keeps me fit, makes me feel good and that's really what counts in my book. For things like running the good thing is you only have to compete with yourself. Keep comparing yourself with others and you can end up pretty demoralised. I don't think that's what its about.
you are absolutely correct, and i didnt intend for it to turn into the equivalent of a school grading report.

what i was after was a context within which i could place my own current abilities.

eg if i were currently running 400 in 2min30secs. Im only in competition with myself, and my immediate short(er) term aim is to shave off 10secs. But I know that ultimately, i should be aiming towards knocking off a minute in the long term, because thats what my peers (peers being an important factor) are able to achieve.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #36
miguel flores
Member miguel flores is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego  Ca
Posts: 106
Re: 400m time guidelines

Elite: 1:04
Advanced: 1:19
Intermediate: 1:34
Beginner: 2:04
I guess untrained is >=2:05


When it comes to Crossfitters these times are very suitable for measuring performances.

Of course when comparing to track times they pale in comparison. But its a good thing this isnt a track website huh =)

So lets stay away from confusing anyone by comparing standout track times-( in comparison to crossfit) The Crossfit North times are very, how do you say, accurate I guess. When trying to find a good benchmark for 400m times.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #37
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: 400m time guidelines

All in for those CF North running standards, I am a running enthusiast, and faster than anyone at my unit (not an impressive acheivement) and when I'm healthy, my runs never got better than mid level intermediate, which puts me mid pack at races etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #38
Wes Palmer
Member Wes Palmer is offline
 
Wes Palmer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 207
Re: 400m time guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel flores View Post
Elite: 1:04
Advanced: 1:19
Intermediate: 1:34
Beginner: 2:04
I guess untrained is >=2:05


When it comes to Crossfitters these times are very suitable for measuring performances.

Of course when comparing to track times they pale in comparison. But its a good thing this isnt a track website huh =)

So lets stay away from confusing anyone by comparing standout track times-( in comparison to crossfit) The Crossfit North times are very, how do you say, accurate I guess. When trying to find a good benchmark for 400m times.
Is this men and women?
__________________
RIP Nola
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #39
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: 400m time guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Palmer View Post
Is this men and women?
The rubric makes no distinction between men and women for this event, although it does for the rows. I'm not entirely sure why. But even a mediocre NCAA female athlete should be able to achieve 64 seconds on the 400m, which translates into an advanced time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #40
Lincoln Brigham
Member Lincoln Brigham is offline
 
Lincoln Brigham's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kirkland  WA
Posts: 3,987
Re: 400m time guidelines

I ran track in high school, but when it came time for sprints Coach would put away his stop watch and get out the calendar. If I said I was slow my high school teammates would tell you I was bragging; I could not break 12 seconds for the 100 yard dash. I ran the 440 yard dash in just under 60 seconds (barely) and the half-mile in 2:11. Last year at age 47 at mile-high elevation I was running 400m intervals at the track at a sub 90-second pace - not sure what I could do in a single all out sprint.

I think some folks are underestimating how much of a hateful suck-fest the 400m sprint is supposed to be when done right. Or they are running them in parking lots, with tight corners. The bottom line is that I think the Crossfit North standards are pretty conservative.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
400m PR David Aguasca Testimonials 12 11-23-2009 12:16 AM
General starting guidelines Dan Aloma Starting 10 04-24-2007 02:57 PM
400m Time Matt Toupalik Fitness 2 08-15-2003 10:51 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.