CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #61
Michael Capalbo

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

This is a lot like filling out brackets for the NCAA Tournament! My guess

16.1/A: AMRAP Metcon (maybe T2B, deadlifts, cleans (135/95)) followed by a 1RM Snatch

16.2: AMRAP CTB Pull-ups + C&J (155/105)

16.3: Repeat of 15.3: AMRAP 7 MUs, 50 WBs, 100 DUs

16.4: something involving thrusters probably heavier than 95/65

16.5: A timed metcon w rowing.

--Heavy snatches haven't appeared in a few years so it's high time they will be in the Open this year. Anyway, a metcon that sort of mirrors 15.1/A (which had the 1RM C&J), but that tests 1RM Snatch instead, does seem kind of fitting, especially to start the Open this year.

--I think 15.3 will be the WOD that is repeated. It was pretty controversial but it was a great workout!

--Castro seems to be shooting sacred cows one-by-one. In 2014 it was introducing timed WOD and rowing, in 2015 it was introducing a 1RM, Scaled vs Rx, HSPUs, AND no burpees, so I think the next sacred cow to go is the Fran close derivative. Besides pull-ups + C&J is pretty Fran-like...

Last edited by Michael Capalbo : 02-23-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #62
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

200k people signed up. Seems like the masters numbers are way up from last year. That is really cool.

15.3 repeat.. that is the only thing that I am guessing.

Hope that they have at least one thing cool and makes me go wow.. that was worth the wait.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #63
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
200k people signed up. Seems like the masters numbers are way up from last year. That is really cool.

15.3 repeat.. that is the only thing that I am guessing.

Hope that they have at least one thing cool and makes me go wow.. that was worth the wait.
How did you see the total amount of people signed up. I am guessing that the final tally will be very close to last years maybe a little higher, maybe a little lower. After that i could see a decline.

I also wonder what percentage of people that start the Open actually finish and Rx'd. To me, your scores should get removed entirely if you do not finish the event in it's entirety as written. That would be a DNF in most sports. In the Open it seems to skew the results somewhat, at the very top not at all but for people in the middle ground.......it could be quite a lot. I am referring to people who intentionally sandbagged 15.1 last year and scored huge on 15.1A and never did another rep for four more weeks. I know it killed my overall score by a lot. Are any of those people fitter ? Highly unlikely. Pretty strong though.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:52 PM   #64
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Agree with scores only being entered if all workouts are completed. Just like in the Master Qual.. if you don't finish all of the workouts scores simply don't count.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #65
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
To me, your scores should get removed entirely if you do not finish the event in it's entirety as written. That would be a DNF in most sports. In the Open it seems to skew the results somewhat, at the very top not at all but for people in the middle ground.......it could be quite a lot. I am referring to people who intentionally sandbagged 15.1 last year and scored huge on 15.1A and never did another rep for four more weeks. I know it killed my overall score by a lot. Are any of those people fitter ? Highly unlikely. Pretty strong though.
I never thought of it this way, but this makes a lot of sense. I agree with this idea and think they should program the scoring accordingly. It would be exciting to see your score from week 1 inch up a little after each week when the non-completers are dropped from the scoring.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #66
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

I've spent the past month trying to get unassisted pistols - that's my vote for "Sacred Cow" this year. Pistols will be in the open. I thought it last year, and I stand on it this year. ...and I'll be screwed.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #67
Danielle Chollet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
That would be a DNF in most sports. In the Open it seems to skew the results somewhat, at the very top not at all but for people in the middle ground....... I am referring to people who intentionally sandbagged 15.1 last year and scored huge on 15.1A and never did another rep for four more weeks.
The effect this had was giving a much heavier weighting to the strength score. If your lift was able to hang with all the noncrossfitters/pure lifters who only did that WOD, then you were rewarded with a much, much better score than someone who lifted 20# less. Maybe they knew it would turn out this way and wanted it to be a weighted score, or maybe they didn't think it through...? It happened in other years, a lot of people did 7 mins. of burpees and dropped out later because they couldn't do the other stuff. Anyone who didn't quite have that crazy cardio there had significantly lower scores on that WOD, but then when it came time to do muscle ups there were less people in the competition at that point, so it would have been hard to make up the ground that was lost.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #68
Jason A Smith

Profile:

It was obviously not thought through because mid-week they started rejecting people's scores for not putting in full effort. Believe me when i say that I know for a fact there were people who intentionally sandbagged 15.1 to get a great score on 15.1A. It was extremely noticeable in team scoring. I have no issue with guys who are strong doing the Open, and in fact a lot of those same guys did very well on the DL/BJ ladder in 2014. My issue is this. If you really want to see how you stack up with people who actually did all of the Open WODs you need to include only the scores of everyone that competed each week, which actually tells you how fit you are relative to the field.

My scores from 2015 almost mirrored my scores of 2014 from week to week. I dropped a LOT of spots because my clean and jerk was way lower (for more than just strength reasons) on 15.1A. If you removed all the 15.1A scores from people who never did any other events for the next 5 weeks (or any of the other workouts people had ni their wheelhouse) then the scores change for people and actually mean something year to year.

Most of the actual competitors in your region don't change much year to year. And I am mostly talking people within the first 200 in each region. You can see how you progressed or compared with your peers in this way.

A couple hundred scores that really don't belong makes a huge difference.

At any rate, I am not signed up this year (due to health reasons) and wish everyone the best in each week's events.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #69
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Looks like they have 215k signed up. So many left to sign up.. most of my friends have not signed up yet.. including me.. reminds me gotta sign up. Looks like the 40+ and the 45+ numbers are way up- 11k and 7k last year.. now 15k and 9k right now. Good for the masters.

I hope that they address the sand bag people who did 15A for the team team or for personal glory.

Good luck everyone.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #70
Michael Capalbo

Profile:

I think rejecting people for "effort" is stupid and totally unnecessary.

1. In any race/sporting event/ect, there is going to be strategy when it comes to effort.

2. This sandbagging could be completely avoided if only HQ would change their team scoring. Here is one way to do this: Rate each affiliate team according to its top 3 individuals in each gender *overall*, instead of going by the team's top 3 scores from each gender *in each event*. So (say 15.1/A comes up again) an athlete who sandbags the metcon only to do well on the lift will be sunk by his poor metcon performance, and his score won't count for his affiliate even if he scores #1 on the lift.

When it comes to prize money, an athlete's score for 15.1/A would be his ranking for the metcon plus his ranking for the lift. Sandbagging would sink someone there too.