CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Amanda Henry

Profile:
Hybrid Athletics

Hi Guys,
Just got back from a competition at Hybrid Athletics yesterday, and I wanted to come on here and offer a few suggestions, from a participant perspective, to everyone who might by running a competition in the future. My husband and our friend competed together as a team.

1. We got there at about 8:15 for a 8:30 weigh-in, and they went over and weighed in. They had registered as a Lightweight Team MONTHS ago, and weighed in as a lightweight team, which was under 400 pounds combined. They weighed in at 181 and 205, for a total of 386.

Ten minutes before the competition was about to start it was announced that because of a lack of 'equipment,' the two heaviest lightweight teams would be moved up to the heavyweight division. Literally they were told to 'be strong.'

So here we are, we just drove up two hours on a Saturday morning, after they've been training for WEEKS for this thing, and they basically were just told they've got no chance at winning, but, yeah, thanks for coming. It totally felt like they just pocketed the $80 registration fee and all my husband and our friend got was 'honor' to lift some things with people they had no chance of beating.

So, if you're running an event, don't make any last minute changes that will effect the final outcome, especially without warning people beforehand. Besides feeling totally screwed over, it's possible that they wouldn't have even been the highest lightweight team, since they weighed in wearing sweatshirts and sweatpants, thinking they had no real chance of going overweight.

2. If you're running an event, make every effort to introduce yourselves to the teams. People have driven a long way to come to this event, and have paid some pretty good money; the least you can do is introduce yourselves and make everyone feel welcome. It might seem like a silly thing, but I think it makes a difference.

3. Build in the cost of a t-shirt into the registration fee. People like to show off that they've competed in events, and it's free advertising for your business.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Lucas King

Profile:
Re: Hybrid Athletics

Is it really that big of a deal that they got moved up a weightclass? I dont mean to be rude, but is the only reason you go to a competition to win?
Id be proud to move up if I got asked especially at Hybrid, plus a similar thing happened at an amateur strongman I went to. I ended up in 4th not placing because a guy that had 25-30lbs on us got moved down and dominated every event. I didnt see it as slap in the face I thought of it as a challenge and used it as motivation to do better. I even came close to beating him in 2 events and would have in one but I hurt my trap!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Amanda - That's a real bummer and I encourage you to voice your concerns with the event organizers.

This does happen a lot at amateur events with weight divisions.

Just curious, what was the cut off for the HW division?

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Amanda Henry

Profile:

My husband and his friend totally looked at it as a motivator to do their best, and tried their hardest. They ended up coming in 7th, which was dissapointing, but whatever. Of course the only reason to go to an event is NOT to win, but it's a little discouraging to walk in and be told you basically have no chance. They actually handled it much better than I did, LOL! I think I was more upset than them.

The weight classes were under 400 lbs and over 400 lbs. They were well under the 400 lb cutoff, and some of the guys in the heavyweight were 260+ each.

Either way, it was a fun event! It was awesome to see some of the heavyweight teams lift some crazy weight. Just figured I'd offer some suggestions, as we left with a bad taste in our mouths, and I don't think that's how affliates want people to leave their events.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Henry View Post
My husband and his friend totally looked at it as a motivator to do their best, and tried their hardest. They ended up coming in 7th, which was dissapointing, but whatever. Of course the only reason to go to an event is NOT to win, but it's a little discouraging to walk in and be told you basically have no chance. They actually handled it much better than I did, LOL! I think I was more upset than them.

The weight classes were under 400 lbs and over 400 lbs. They were well under the 400 lb cutoff, and some of the guys in the heavyweight were 260+ each.

Either way, it was a fun event! It was awesome to see some of the heavyweight teams lift some crazy weight. Just figured I'd offer some suggestions, as we left with a bad taste in our mouths, and I don't think that's how affliates want people to leave their events.
Amanda, I totally understand where you're coming from. Kudos to them for giving it their all against guys MUCH larger!! I compete in strongman and understand how key it can be to have weight classes sometimes. It's not about wanting to win.... but test yourself against others of similar body size/composition etc. It's like trying to be the best, pound for pound, and your bodyweight....I totally get it!

Great job though, and you should let Rob and/or the other organizers about your concerns.

I have promoted numerous competitions, and although an event or two may change here or there...but never anything drastic...weight classes are something that should remain the same - at least in my opinion. I'm sure Rob did his best at the time!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

Sorry to hear that Amanda. I was at the event as well cheering on my friend and I agree sounds pretty unfair. Particularly, considering that the second event a lot of the bigger guys were even having trouble with that tire flip.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Amanda Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Menikheim View Post
Sorry to hear that Amanda. I was at the event as well cheering on my friend and I agree sounds pretty unfair. Particularly, considering that the second event a lot of the bigger guys were even having trouble with that tire flip.
Very true, heavyweight tire flip was pretty legit. I think the grip was impossibly flat on one side or something.

Which team were you cheering on? You're in Merrick? Which affiliate do you go to? I was surprised how many Long Island teams were there!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas King View Post
I dont mean to be rude, but is the only reason you go to a competition to win?
Yes. Otherwise, you go to lose.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I was there too and I heard that from afar. That sucks! It was a good event though, although that heavy tire scared the **** outta me.

See, I have never competed and I know there are many out there that are putting in far more effort and time than I can and will. So, will I give it my all at my first competition? yes. Will I train to win? Yes. However, will I get to the comp and risk injury for the sake of winning? Absolutely not. Hence, there will be no kipping pullups for me at my first competition.

But I see where you're coming from. It's a ****ty situation, especially last minute.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Amanda Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
I was there too and I heard that from afar. That sucks! It was a good event though, although that heavy tire scared the **** outta me.

See, I have never competed and I know there are many out there that are putting in far more effort and time than I can and will. So, will I give it my all at my first competition? yes. Will I train to win? Yes. However, will I get to the comp and risk injury for the sake of winning? Absolutely not. Hence, there will be no kipping pullups for me at my first competition.

But I see where you're coming from. It's a ****ty situation, especially last minute.
This got me thinking...I've never competed either, and while I hope to be able to do some smaller throwdown someday, I don't think I'm going to come even close to winning. BUT, you better believe I'm going to try! Given that, I would never want to hurt myself doing it. So it's sort of a dilemma. Do I push myself to the limit, or acknowledge my limits?

I think I have that competitive approach to a lot of things though. Would I walk into a job interview and not try and get the job? Of course not.

So, I think I've changed my mind a little. What would be the point of showing up to a competition if you don't have the intention of winning?