CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Brisket "Q"- Too Good To Be True

I just made a brisket and had to share it with everyone. The original site the recipe is from is: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=DARK+CLOSET (wfs) The bolded letters are the recipe for the most part, pay attention to Barbefunkoramaque's post (4th one), his is the actual recipe; the rest are comments.

The recipe is:
Get a 5lb brisket flat (I used 7.5lbs because it was the smallest I could find)

Season (rub it) with 3T celery salt and 2T black pepper (can use a rub if you want)

Foil tightly, fat side up, and bake for 4-4.5hrs, depending on the size

Rest for 30 minutes, pour out drippings and juices to use as a sauce/gravy, then broil it with the top foil off until the fat cap is nice and crispy. (I checked the temp just to see where it was at and it read 185. Brisket is done around 185-195, and after I broiled it [next step] it was 195, perfect)

Rest for 15 minutes, foiled completely. then cut and serve.

This, along with the au jus I made from the drippings and juices, made it super tender and juicy, way better than the BBQ place near me. Even though you have to leave your oven on for awhile, it is worth it and you will not burn the house down (hopefully).

I ate three times the amount of brisket and broccoli in the pic, it was sooo good. Made this for my mom and sister too, and they loved it; as you can tell from the amount of brisket left over. Guess what I'm having tomorrow night
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0728091250.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	4705  Click image for larger version

Name:	0728091254.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	4706  Click image for larger version

Name:	0728091822.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	4707  Click image for larger version

Name:	0728091845.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	4708  Click image for larger version

Name:	0728091916.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	4709  

Last edited by Joe Bernard : 07-28-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
Sharon Miller

Profile:
Re: Brisket "Q"- Too Good To Be True

I like it! It sounds very simple which is nice. Every time I make brisket I either do the traditional Jewish brisket with about 5 lbs of onions or oven BBQ.

The oven BBQ recipe is incredible. You wrap the brisket with 1lb of bacon. Here are links the recipe it is posted in the bacon thread. the second one is for the rub which I forgot to include with the recipe.

both links are WFS

http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...&postcount=323

http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...&postcount=327
Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Nice Rub! I may have to give that a try next time I cook a brisket.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Joe;

Nice looking Brisket, you did good. Now you got to smoke your next one over some long slow heat with some great wood, that will give us a Bark to die for and Burnt Ends that you won't want to share.

Doing 5 butts this weekend for friend, and picking up a brisket for me.

Keep cooking like that and your mom will keep you around for another year or so.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:54 AM   #5
Ryan M. Hale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Joe;

Nice looking Brisket, you did good. Now you got to smoke your next one over some long slow heat with some great wood, that will give us a Bark to die for and Burnt Ends that you won't want to share.

Doing 5 butts this weekend for friend, and picking up a brisket for me.

Keep cooking like that and your mom will keep you around for another year or so.
Ditto to that! Congrats on a great looking Oven brisket! Those can be great when you need to satisfy a brisket craving. I grew up in texas are recenlty moved from GA to FL and in GA all they have is Pork BBQ so I always had to cook my own brisket. It is definately better when you smoke it over a open flame with some good wood chips for extra flavoring (apple, cherry, ect)!!! Keep up the good work, everytime I go home to Texas my dad gets kicked off his own grill, HA he is never to happy about that!

RH

PS add a little liquid smoke to that next time and you will kick up those taste buds a little bit!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
Matt Hitt

Profile:

That looks like some tasty meat Joe! well done
Old 07-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I don't have a smoker and I'm going back to college in three weeks (no smokers allowed there), so buying one is pointless. All those burnt ends will have to wait, but it's definitely on the list for next summer though.

@Jay- that's alot of meat, should be a good weekend for you! The imitation bark I got from broiling it tasted really good, I can only imagine how much better the real thing will taste.

@Ryan- Have you ever been to Lockheart? Apparently it's the BBQ capital of Texas and there are some really good BBQ places down there. I eventually want to get down there to try them out.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Wade Smith

Profile:

My last brisket was a local farmer's grass fed/finished cut which I seasoned/rubbed and then crockpotted on low overnight. It was the best brisket I've ever tasted. The key was the quality beef.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Smith View Post
My last brisket was a local farmer's grass fed/finished cut which I seasoned/rubbed and then crockpotted on low overnight. It was the best brisket I've ever tasted. The key was the quality beef.
That sounds really good! Grassfed just makes it even better. Sadly I got mine from Acme, but at least it tasted good. Crockpot huh, might have to give that a try next time. Was it super tender and juicy? Everytime I make pork butt in the crockpot it's fork tender and delicious.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Wade Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
That sounds really good! Grassfed just makes it even better. Sadly I got mine from Acme, but at least it tasted good. Crockpot huh, might have to give that a try next time. Was it super tender and juicy? Everytime I make pork butt in the crockpot it's fork tender and delicious.
Extremely tender and juicy. Drizzled on some "Everett & Jones Medium BBQ Sauce" (I know, I know, sugar content). Best part of the pastured meat is the ability to eat the fat with all the awesome Omega-3s without the guilt