CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #11
David Ingersoll

Profile:
Hey Keegan,

Yeah, I greased the groove on them, going near failure but avoiding it every time. It seemed to work for me, though there were some times where I would plateau for a long time (4-5weeks) and benefitted from backing off for a bit.

I didn't make it farther than you though: I was able to hold the advanced tuck for 10seconds, and a staggered lever with my bent leg reaching the mid-shin area of my straight leg, for 30-40 seconds.

There's a guy called Brian D who got the full lever. I think he worked on the lever pull-ups and ice-cream makers a lot. Here's his post:
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/wfor...opic.php?t=626

The guy from www.beastskills.com also reported finally getting the lever by just doing a ton of attempts per day whenever he would walk by his bar. You'll have to search his old blog. http://beastskills.blogspot.com/

I made most of my progress last summer, while I wasn't working. Since then, I've had 10-12 hour days at work and have found it hard to grease the groove for holds that are less than 15 seconds because of the amount of reps needed throughout the day.
Regardless, I was still progressing slowly when I broke my hand while skiing in January (still not healed - may need surgery). Much of my training has been put on hold because of this - I know I know, I should be a one arm chin-up master by now.

(Message edited by Davemtl on April 17, 2006)
Old 04-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #12
Keegan Yentsch

Profile:
Hi David,

Thanks for the clarification and personal experience.

I have experimented with GTG'ing the planche and front lever progressions myself, but like you I have found it difficult to find the time to do so while at work. Also, while at work I'm usually wearing work boots (as I work in a factory), so my max hold times are considerably shorter.

I hear ya about the multiple short duration hold thing. I found while working on the tuck planche/advanced tuck front lever that once I could hold the positions for over 10 seconds without going to failure that I had no problems in terms of fatigue (or finding the time to do reach 1 minute total). However, until I got to that point, I would always feel drained at the end of my sets (especially when I had to execute 20-30 sets to reach 1 minute when I first started).

That also makes me wonder how you're supposed to avoid going to failure when you can only hold the position for 1-2 seconds? I mean if you can hold it for 10 seconds then avoiding failure is no problem. But, if 1-2 seconds is your max, how can you hold the position without going to failure? Especially when doing the previous progression doesn't really carry over all that well in my experience.

For instance, while holding a tuck planche will indeed strengthen the muscles of your shoulder girdle and arms, it won't do anything for the hip extension strength required to perform an advanced tuck planche. The same is true of the front lever progressions. I can hold an advanced tuck front lever for well over a minute and can perform 10+ advanced tuck front lever pull-ups. But, I can only hold a straddle front lever for maybe 3 seconds (on a good day).

Anyways, enough of my rambling. Thanks again for the reply.

Also, sorry to hear about your hand. I hope it heals soon and you don't end up needing surgery.

Good luck and good training,

Sentoguy
Old 04-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #13
Keegan Yentsch

Profile:
oops, I meant to sign that last post,

Keegan

It's been a long day at work and I accidently signed it with one of my screen names from other forums.

Sorry again.

Keegan