CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Sampson J Havelka

Profile:
Re: WOD that burn most/a lot callories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeli Shengelia View Post
by saying intense exercises you mean only gymnastic(with your own weight like jumps,push ups,burpee,etc) and without weight lifting/cardio i guess?
Not necessarily. It just means something quick paced where you're basically moving the entire time and leaves you flat on your back after.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson J Havelka View Post
Not necessarily. It just means something quick paced where you're basically moving the entire time and leaves you flat on your back after.
See, this is the kind of attitude that gets people hurt. Every workout does not have to be totally exhausting. You are aiming for continuous, consistent effort and you aren't going to do that by totally wearing yourself out every time you hit the gym.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
John L. Mclaughlin

Profile:

Quote:
And we wonder why people hate on CrossFit? Hmm.....
Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L. Mclaughlin View Post
And we wonder why people hate on CrossFit? Hmm.....
Who needs periodization when you can just try to make people puke all the time instead? I hear that accelerates weight loss anyway, so what's the big deal?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
leaves you flat on your back after.
That teaches you one thing - how to lay flat on your back. That is not an indication of any sort of effectiveness or efficiency within a workout session, training program, etc. Chase performance, never chase fatigue (dems Thibs words, not mine.)
Old 11-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #16
Dakota Base

Profile:

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

You can do a super high 1,000calorie per hour workout for 30min, burn 500cal, feel like you're about to die.

Or, you can do a moderate 500cal per hour workout for an hour, burn the same 500, and not feel like your heart is going to explode (still pretty aggressive pace).

What you should NOT do:

Walk for 30min and burn 200calories, then go eat a 1600calorie McDonald's value meal.

Crossfit at super high intensity for 10min and burn 160cals (~1000cal/hr effort), then go eat a cheeseburger.

Losing fat is about calorie deficit. Eat too many calories and you can't ever burn more than you eat. You need a certain volume of nutrients to be able to maintain your body and gain strength/build muscle, BUT, if you eat foods that are too calorie dense, you'll end up with too many calories on your way to get those nutrients (eating Xg of protein via fatty meats or fried food will help gain muscle, but it'll have WAY more calories than if you ate the same Xg of protein in lean meat).

I have a left hand, I have a right hand. I have a diet plan, I have a workout plan. Moral of the story, you need both to get lean and ripped.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #17
Alex Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
There's more than one way to skin a cat.

You can do a super high 1,000calorie per hour workout for 30min, burn 500cal, feel like you're about to die.

Or, you can do a moderate 500cal per hour workout for an hour, burn the same 500, and not feel like your heart is going to explode (still pretty aggressive pace).

What you should NOT do:

Walk for 30min and burn 200calories, then go eat a 1600calorie McDonald's value meal.

Crossfit at super high intensity for 10min and burn 160cals (~1000cal/hr effort), then go eat a cheeseburger.

Losing fat is about calorie deficit. Eat too many calories and you can't ever burn more than you eat. You need a certain volume of nutrients to be able to maintain your body and gain strength/build muscle, BUT, if you eat foods that are too calorie dense, you'll end up with too many calories on your way to get those nutrients (eating Xg of protein via fatty meats or fried food will help gain muscle, but it'll have WAY more calories than if you ate the same Xg of protein in lean meat).

I have a left hand, I have a right hand. I have a diet plan, I have a workout plan. Moral of the story, you need both to get lean and ripped.

This post is old but I just stumbled across it. I love this example and perspective. Thank you.