CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #21
John Phipps

Profile:
I have had the same problem as you with regard to shin scraping on a rough bar.

What I did is use some tape not to wrap my shins but to wrap the bar just where my shins would be scraping. Give it a try, it works for me.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #22
John Walsh

Profile:
My 2 cents:

Let the shins heal. Wear sweat pants, old school made of cotton or at least something thicker than jogging sweats. Pull those sweat socks up to your knee.

Don't drag the bar across your shins. I can't say this about many other things but I have really tight form in my deads. I have scrapped my shins maybe a dozen times in thousands of reps and never to the point that I was gushing blood. The fact that you “always” (your words) cut your shins tells me your either using poor from or you’re a “bleeder” as we use to say in my ring days or both

The dead is a grind lift and should always be done under control. Ballistic deads make me cringe even though I have done them. Slow down and get the lift under control.

Don’t use shin guards. They are props like belts and wraps and they will only encourage improper form.

If your style is currently conventional don’t switch to sumo. You’ll scrape your shins up even more.

Practice squeezing the bar off the floor instead of yanking it off the floor. The deadlift is a slow lift.

Find your groove. When you do you should not be banging your shins. Everyone has different leverages. You’ll have to find the groove that works. Bleeding shins should not be happening every time you deadlift.

If all else fails and you still want to train at this gym than switch to dumbbell deads.

I’m a firm believer in doing as the Romans do when I go to gyms. I always ask about policies on deadlifting, Olympic lifts or what not and make adjustments accordingly. But stopping a lift because of a little blood? What’s next banning sweat?
Old 11-15-2005, 04:46 PM   #23
Aaron Markovich

Profile:
-John

That's some solid, practical advice. I definitely need to find my groove concerning DL form. I'll definitely take what you say into consideration. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:36 AM   #24
Mike Sasin

Profile:

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of sumo lifts (unless called for in the WOD) or straight legged DLs. I'd like to focus on form and consistentency of the movement so I can incorporate it into my Oly-lifts.
The Romanian DL is more specific to Oly lifts, but even that can catch your knees a little. I think that the most "pain free" substitute for the DL would be a good morning. A great exercise, but it obviously lacks some components of the DL, grip strength being one. Still, it may be a decent substitute if your gym doesn't allow DLs. As far as carryover to OL, my lifts have improved since I started doing GMs, but your mileage may vary.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:33 AM   #25
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Getting cut happens, but I would say it should be rare. I deadlift on a regular basis - from 1RM to high reps to 5x5 to platform pulls, etc, etc. I get some bruising on my shins and sometimes the top of my knee when my form braeks down, but I've never actually cut anything to the point of gushing blood. Now if you want to talk about callouses being ripped off, that's another story. :P
Old 12-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #26
Mathew F. Bunch

Profile:
never had too much of a problem scraping my shins but it was good to read ross's article. i always thought my form was wrong when any part of my back rounded, and if i didn't squat low enough, which i have a hard time doing (i can dl about 75 pounds more when i stand in then pull the weight, the wasted motion ross was referring to). thanks for the breakdown!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #27
Skipp Benzing

Profile:
Matt G,

I'm not claiming to be an expert on this but I have read and heard of a few different types of D.L. styles. What I have found is that for Ol style lifters they want the barbell to move back towards the shins on the way up and to not go straight up because of leverage issues, in ol lifting they call it an s curve because the barbell path follows an s shape which starts with a back and up movement. If you go straight up the barbell will stay out in front of you and you will end up on your toes too early. When you move the barbell back towards you it keeps your weight on your heels and forces your body into a much more advantagous position to enter into the scoop of the lift. So if you want to D.L. for improved Ol style lifting I would recommend moving the barbell back towards your shins but if ol style lifing is not important to you just go straight up. I'm not for sure of the style for power lifters but I have read how their dead lift is different in style. Maybe someone who is a competitive power lifter can chime in on the proper barbell path for power lifting dead lift.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:00 PM   #28
Mike Minium

Profile:
For additional information on the various address positions (well, really only two adress positions) for the deadlift, there's a nice discussion of two photos that were posted for the 1/13/05 Rest Day on the front page (well worth the read, in my opinion):

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000664.html

This seems to jibe nicely with the T-Nation article posted above about the deadlift address postion having shoulders behind the bar, while the clean address position would lend itself to the shoulders being slightly ahead of the bar, generally speaking. It's a max load vs. max speed type of thing.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:57 PM   #29
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
When you look at the strongest DLer, they lift more like the photo of Lani on the left. That is FAR from a weak start, IMO. With your legs less bent, you're stronger (that's why you can partial squat and DL way more than full range movements). With the form on the right, you are putting much more emphasis on your legs, and LESS on your back, glutes, and hams. If you watch the big PL guys DL, they have their shoulders over/slightly behind the bar at the beginning, and they squeeze the weight up, wedging their thighs under the bar as it goes up, and driving the hips forward as their legs straighten.

This weak start analysis is just plain wrong. You just need the strong midsection because when your spine will receive more of a shearing force when you are bent over forward more. Just like RDL use the posterior chain more, the DL with less leg bend will need more butt and back power to complete, but you are in a better position to recruit it with less knee bend. Much better leverage. Prying vs. lifting.

There was a great DL video of Brad Gillingham pulling about 850# the other day on a strength site. I downloaded it to my home computer, which I don't have access to now.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:24 PM   #30
Skip Chase

Profile:
4 years ago I trained with 2 'master's' who had been deadlifting and competing for years. They wanted me to train with them. During my first session with them, they both immediately cationed me about 'bleeding shins'. They laughed and said the serious dl'ers all had scarred shins from dragging the bar up their legs. That's my .02.