CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:11 AM   #1
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:
Back to linear progression with Back Squat ?

180 lbs here and i've been doing 531 BBB for almost a year. My max lifts;

Deadlift: 450 lb
Shoulder Press: 180 lb
Bench Press: 240lb

I can 1x BW Press, 2.5x BW Deadlift and i'm happy with these. I thought my Low Bar squat was not contributing to my oly lifts and any other stuff that used more quads, and 2 weeks ago i have switched my Back Squat from Low Bar to High Bar. My max with LBBS was 340 lbs and now i can only lift 280 lbs with HBBS. Also i started doing Front Squats too and i can go for 240 lb max, same with my Bench Press. My Squats are way behind my other lifts.

Do you think is it logical to go linear with only FS and BS, do 3x5 and increase the load every workout ? I can go on with 531 on the other lifts, so my program would be like this;

Monday: 531 Press + 5x10 Bench Press + Metcon
Tuesday: Snatch Workout + 3x5 Squat + 5x10 Deadlift + ABS
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: 531 Bench Press + 5x10 Push Press + Metcon
Friday: Clean Workout + 531 Deadlift + 3x5 Front Squat + Metcon

Do you think that works in order to gain faster with Squats and close the gap between my lifts ?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Back to linear progression with Back Squat ?

It's not a horrible idea.

My other thought of being truer to 5/3/1 would be to do 5/3/1 HBBS followed by first set last to get in some extra volume.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan Yilmazkaya View Post
180 lbs here and i've been doing 531 BBB for almost a year. My max lifts;

Deadlift: 450 lb
Shoulder Press: 180 lb
Bench Press: 240lb

I can 1x BW Press, 2.5x BW Deadlift and i'm happy with these. I thought my Low Bar squat was not contributing to my oly lifts and any other stuff that used more quads, and 2 weeks ago i have switched my Back Squat from Low Bar to High Bar. My max with LBBS was 340 lbs and now i can only lift 280 lbs with HBBS. Also i started doing Front Squats too and i can go for 240 lb max, same with my Bench Press. My Squats are way behind my other lifts.

Do you think is it logical to go linear with only FS and BS, do 3x5 and increase the load every workout ? I can go on with 531 on the other lifts, so my program would be like this;

Monday: 531 Press + 5x10 Bench Press + Metcon
Tuesday: Snatch Workout + 3x5 Squat + 5x10 Deadlift + ABS
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: 531 Bench Press + 5x10 Push Press + Metcon
Friday: Clean Workout + 531 Deadlift + 3x5 Front Squat + Metcon

Do you think that works in order to gain faster with Squats and close the gap between my lifts ?
Squating more = faster increase on your squat.

I would say depending on your body levers you might be a better DL guy also. I got a buddy who has longer arms and can DL a lot for his BW, because he is already in a great position to finish up... His squat / DL difference is about the same. Squatting more has helped, but the gain's are not as fast as he wishes...
Old 03-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
Hakan Yilmazkaya

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
Squating more = faster increase on your squat.

I would say depending on your body levers you might be a better DL guy also. I got a buddy who has longer arms and can DL a lot for his BW, because he is already in a great position to finish up... His squat / DL difference is about the same. Squatting more has helped, but the gain's are not as fast as he wishes...
As soon as i have 1.5 years more of a timeline to achieve my strength goals, i'm happy with my deadlift now. If i keep progressing, i can add more than 120 lbs and that would satisfy me. But my squat really sucks and that's why i'm worried about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
It's not a horrible idea.

My other thought of being truer to 5/3/1 would be to do 5/3/1 HBBS followed by first set last to get in some extra volume.
I'm doing 5/3/1 Front Squats just after 5/3/1 Deadlifts. Adding first set last after HBBS is also a good idea and i think i will try that. Thanks for the replies.