CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:
Re: Good lifting numbers

High School teacher, head Golf coach and asst Football
Old 02-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #12
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Zelenay View Post
1. Completely agree
2. VERY nice numbers u had , Alex
Thanks ... Back in the day i was body building so My Goals we're very different.

Now 45 I have no intention of trying to PR anything.. I keep my numbers safe and form perfect, CF has given me the buzz again and I love the challenge.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #13
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

I have to ask, for bodyweight stuff (pullups, ring dips, dips, weighted dips, etc) its not specified but maybe it should be, is it KIPPING or not? (gonna guess kipping)

I actually am surprised by how I did in lifts I don't really practice!
Level 3C power snatch and power clean, 3A weighted dips, not surprised however that I am at 4C for Deads, squats and military press.

I am however surprised that there is no bench press (say what you will its a legit movement and has been in some crossfit events and workouts) or front squat.

By catalyst its a different story...you can see I don't really specialize in the oly lifts. Level 3 BS but level 2 FS.

Just thought i'd throw some others out there
http://www.lift.net/2013/05/09/class...aw-elite-uspa/
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...atural-lifters
Old 02-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #14
Maurice Mayfield Jr

Profile:

I'm just trying to stay fit working a lot on body weight stuff these days the games guys and girls are awesome but there the top 1% of crossfit. That's what they do all day hell I work all day LOL! So I'm just trying to have some fun with it!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:38 AM   #15
Alex Burden

Profile:

To put this into perspective..

I did a 363lb deadlift today.. was this a PR No but was it a good number... yes it was for me

My wife did a 176lb deadlift today was it a PR yes by 26lbs but was it a good number... for her yes it was..

A document showing levels or expected levels to be able to group people will only work with the very few.

Its up to you to decide if your numbers are good.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

I guess I disagree with that. I mean if you're going to say that about weights is that how you feel about grades? What's the point of having competition then?

Don't get me wrong I agree with the basic premise of do your best, and what's heavy for you is not necessarily what's heavy for Joe or whoever else, and that a PR is a PR.

I guess I see the point of tables like these. They let you know okay well if you want to be competitive at X level (provincial, national, international, etc) you need to be at or near this level. Or for WL and PL you need X total to qualify for X level of competition.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #17
Struan Potter

Profile:

For me, a bloke weighing over 74kg who can snatch over 130 and C&J over 160 is a good lifter.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #18
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I guess I disagree with that. I mean if you're going to say that about weights is that how you feel about grades? What's the point of having competition then?

Don't get me wrong I agree with the basic premise of do your best, and what's heavy for you is not necessarily what's heavy for Joe or whoever else, and that a PR is a PR.

I guess I see the point of tables like these. They let you know okay well if you want to be competitive at X level (provincial, national, international, etc) you need to be at or near this level. Or for WL and PL you need X total to qualify for X level of competition.
Funny thing is that you can compete where everyone has a really crappy day and you win on crappy numbers yourself.

It's all about what happens on the day and not what happened last week. That's why charts mean nothing to me.

Oh and I hate to loose in anything and will give it everything any time any place
Old 02-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #19
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I'm with Drew on this. You need some numbers to give you a barometer to progress. Yes in the end compete against yourself, but without outside comparisons you are setting yourself up for mediocrity.

People didn't start breaking into 4 minute miles until it was understood it could be done. Knowing where my squat numbers in a population let me know if I'm doing something right/wrong and if I want more to see how committed I am.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #20
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Not only do you get a barometer of your performance, but it puts it into context. A good example is powerlifting, everyone and their dog hears about Donnie Thompson or whoever squatting 1300lbs, and they go bonkers, to the point where they hear about Malanichev squatting 'only' a grand and they scoff. Well its completely different lifting, Thompson lifts in multi ply (assistance gear like a squat suit) while malanichev lifts raw (and with knee wraps sometimes).

The other way it puts things into context is that if you're say a crossfitter you're not going to compare your squat numbers with powerlifters and weightlifters, because odds are they out-squat you (comparing elite crossfitter vs elite PL'er or WL'er) so to see if you're in the general area you should be you can compare to other athletes in your field. Its like the combine and military PT tests, you're comparing like with like.