CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
Tim Alford

Profile:
Another supplement question!

Hey guys (and gals), I finished a 24 day challenge from a company you all know. I didn't see many results (I didn't follow the plan to a T) but it did get me thinking, what supplements should I be taking on a regular basis?

I take fish oils, I drink Nitrean +, I also cycle Creatine. Am I missing anything? From what I've heard BCAAs are great or Zinc/Magnesium. I've looked it up online but most websites are just pushing their own product so it's hard to get the facts. As for me, I workout 4-5 times a week. I'm adding strength and doing metcons twice a week. Any help would be appreciated!

As a side note, it's easier for me if I take a meal replacement shake for lunch, I know it's not the best but it's easy for me because I don't typically have time for an actual lunch. So if you know any good meal replacement shakes let me know!
Old 02-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:
Re: Another supplement question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
Hey guys (and gals), I finished a 24 day challenge from a company you all know. I didn't see many results (I didn't follow the plan to a T) but it did get me thinking, what supplements should I be taking on a regular basis?

I take fish oils, I drink Nitrean +, I also cycle Creatine. Am I missing anything? From what I've heard BCAAs are great or Zinc/Magnesium. I've looked it up online but most websites are just pushing their own product so it's hard to get the facts. As for me, I workout 4-5 times a week. I'm adding strength and doing metcons twice a week. Any help would be appreciated!

As a side note, it's easier for me if I take a meal replacement shake for lunch, I know it's not the best but it's easy for me because I don't typically have time for an actual lunch. So if you know any good meal replacement shakes let me know!

Other than protein, most CF'ers seem to take multi-vitamins, vitamin D, and fish oil. Some will take creatine, and possibly beta-alanine and ZMA.

I don't know many other supplements that are popular with CF'ers.

Supposedly, if you follow Paleo strict (I don't), you should only need to supplement Vitamin D and fish oil, and everything else is taken care of. Not sure I believe that...

As for meal replacements - maybe others can chime in, but in my experience, they tend to be high in sugar and simple carbs. I would rather take a protein shake and maybe a baggie with some nuts and dried fruit, for example.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
Other than protein, most CF'ers seem to take multi-vitamins, vitamin D, and fish oil. Some will take creatine, and possibly beta-alanine and ZMA.

I don't know many other supplements that are popular with CF'ers.

Supposedly, if you follow Paleo strict (I don't), you should only need to supplement Vitamin D and fish oil, and everything else is taken care of. Not sure I believe that...

As for meal replacements - maybe others can chime in, but in my experience, they tend to be high in sugar and simple carbs. I would rather take a protein shake and maybe a baggie with some nuts and dried fruit, for example.
Thanks for your response! Yes, I definitely need to grab a multivitamin and I also should look at vitamin D. Ohio isn't known for its sunshine!
Old 02-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

You take one of my products now (maybe 2)? First, we are going natural with most of our products so the Nitrean+ you have been taking has been replaced by Nitrean Natural (no artificial sweeteners and a bunch more stuff).

Keep in mind protein is just a supplement of convenience assuming you consume enough in your diet as 99% of Westerners do. I pretty much solely recommend protein post-workout or right before bed if you don't eat within 3-4 hours of bed.

Removed marketing
Old 02-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

BCAA's are meh IMO unless you need some amino's and are trying to keep the calories low (doing IF or a diet). If you could do whey, you could just do two scoops of whey. Or you could just buy some L-leucine which is damn cheap. Or eat some protein.

ZMA and Zinc and Magnesium are decent. I take a lot of both.

I also take probiotics since I find most probiotic foods disgusting. I could do yogurt but I'm trying to cut out those calories and carbs/sugar. Ya, regular yoghurt is horrible and I'm not a big kimchee fan. I could drink kombucha but meh.

VitD works really well. I don't get enough sun sometimes especially when it's winter.

Also been doing a lot of VitC. 1500-2000 iu/day.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
You take one of my products now (maybe 2)? First, we are going natural with most of our products so the Nitrean+ you have been taking has been replaced by Nitrean Natural (no artificial sweeteners and a bunch more stuff).

Keep in mind protein is just a supplement of convenience assuming you consume enough in your diet as 99% of Westerners do. I pretty much solely recommend protein post-workout or right before bed if you don't eat within 3-4 hours of bed.

Back to your actual question, I have two products I think would make a difference. RESULTS 2.0 and ETS. Give them a try. If you order through tomorrow we are running a sale so you can save a bit. Both are to be used daily. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. If I could only buy one to compliment my Nitrean, which would you recommend? ETS or Results 2.0? What would be the added benefit?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
BCAA's are meh IMO unless you need some amino's and are trying to keep the calories low (doing IF or a diet). If you could do whey, you could just do two scoops of whey. Or you could just buy some L-leucine which is damn cheap. Or eat some protein.

ZMA and Zinc and Magnesium are decent. I take a lot of both.

I also take probiotics since I find most probiotic foods disgusting. I could do yogurt but I'm trying to cut out those calories and carbs/sugar. Ya, regular yoghurt is horrible and I'm not a big kimchee fan. I could drink kombucha but meh.

VitD works really well. I don't get enough sun sometimes especially when it's winter.

Also been doing a lot of VitC. 1500-2000 iu/day.
I definitely want to get some ZMA. I've never really thought of anything "probiotic" before. I'll look into that!
Old 02-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Last year, I had my blood Vitamin D level tested (I live in the Pacific Northwest, but it is one of the sunnier places in that region, and it was summertime) my blood level was on the low-end of normal. And that's with taking 5000IU daily.

So, I totally agree that Vitamin D is important and I think a lot more people are deficient than they realize.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
Tim Alford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
Last year, I had my blood Vitamin D level tested (I live in the Pacific Northwest, but it is one of the sunnier places in that region, and it was summertime) my blood level was on the low-end of normal. And that's with taking 5000IU daily.

So, I totally agree that Vitamin D is important and I think a lot more people are deficient than they realize.
That's crazy! What are the benefits for you when you ya me the right dosage of vitamin D? Here in sunny Columbus, Ohio I'm sure I'm not getting enough.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Alford View Post
Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. If I could only buy one to compliment my Nitrean, which would you recommend? ETS or Results 2.0? What would be the added benefit?
xxxxxx hands down. If you get it you can skip the creatine. removed marketing alone will make a huge difference in your training.