CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:43 AM   #1
Stuart Oden

Profile:
Let's Write A Book: The Missing Manual For Crossfit

As you can tell by my post count, I am new to these forums. I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong area but as far as I could tell, this was the most appropriate place to make the post.

A bit of background: I have been doing CF semi-seriously for a few months now. What I mean by that is that I do the WOD from the website, or at least I try to follow it as closely as I can with the equipment we have in my gym. Its not a CF box, just a normal gym.

I'm definitely a believer. Personally, I like how it takes all of the guesswork out of exercising. I never have to think about what to do, just go on the website and do their workout. Plus the great results and all that.

In January, you guys may have noticed that Darrell White, aka "bingo" has been posting very detailed instructions on how to do the WODs. I found them very helpful, because I often had lots of questions and he basically answered all of them in his posts. And if I found them helpful, I'm sure other noobs would as well.

I really liked it because it reduced the amount of google searching I would have to do. Also, I didn't have to post a question to the forum and wait for a response. It was all right there in the post. All of the philosophy and theory behind why the WOD is structured the way it was was right there, in an easily digestible couple of paragraphs.

I think this would be a fantastic idea for a book. Here are my reasons:

1) It would clear up a lot of the misconceptions of Crossfit. No, its not a cult. Yes, it is good for you.

2) It would give CF more exposure.

3) It would give CF more credibility/legitimacy.

4) It would be an easy guide for new people to follow. For example, affiliates could give (or sell) the book to the newer people and have them read it in their spare time, thus cutting down the amount of confusion/questions that go with starting CF.

So here's my idea. I want to collaborate with someone for writing this book. We would call it, "The Missing Manual For Crossfit." It would analyze anywhere between 50-100 actual WODs from the past, describing them in detail in terms of why they are structured the way they are, and why they include the exercises that they do.

In other words, it would explain everything there is to know about the actual exercising part of Crossfit by analyzing 50-100 consecutive WODs. Basically, it would be an extension of bingo's posts that he made in January.

Other ideas I've been tossing around would include interviewing fitness professionals (PTs, famous CF athletes, affiliate owners, etc) to get their input/twist on things.

I think this would be a huge help to the CF community and would like to work with someone on this. I tried to get in touch with bingo, but haven't been able to find a contact email for him. If someone knows him personally and would like to point him in the direction of this post, I would appreciate it.

But just in case he doesn't have the time or inclination to do something like this, I'm sure there are many of you out there who have a similar understanding of this knowledge as well. If you'd like to collaborate with me on this, then send me a PM.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought this would be a good way to reach out to people who might have an interest in this kind of thing. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: Let's Write A Book: The Missing Manual For Crossfit

Biggest hurdle is crossfit HQ would have to approve.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Stuart Oden

Profile:

Well, a few things.

First of all, I have no problem with that. I will even give them some of the profits. In fact, I think it would be a great idea to partner with them and create a manual with their help. The cross-promotion opportunities alone would be worth it.

Second of all, I actually sent an email to some people through the CF website explaining this idea as well as some others. I haven't heard back from them yet, but it was only like 2 days ago. So that's why I thought I'd come here and post to see what you guys thought.

Third, with some clever re-wording of the title, they wouldn't have to be involved at all. Obviously you can't call it, "The Official Crossfit Manual," or something like that. But we could call just call it something else.

As far as I know, you can have the word "Crossfit" in the title as long as you're not saying its representative of the organization. Just like you can have the word "Google" or "Iphone" in the title of a book.

Anyway, like I said I'd prefer to go with #1 because to partner with Crossfit and write a guide for them would be fantastic.. so if anyone's interested in talking about this feel free to PM me!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I guess outside of not using that title the real thing basically comes down to a lvl 1 & 2 certification course (I have no hands on with level 3 but it would probably add even more useful info)

I say if it's soemthing you want to pursue go for it.

Be prepared if corporate goes against it that there could be a huge legal fight (and corporate is known for not backing down and defending the crossfit name aggressively).

Best bet is if corporate works with you and helps. They have everything you need already in a pretty well laid out chapter setup.

If they say no, find a lvl 2+ certified, experienced coach and take all the experience and manuals/training he/she has from corporate and partner on it.