CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-07-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
Anders Jensen

Profile:
How often should I be training to stay healthy?

I have been training CrossFit for some years now, and will never compete, but just use it to stay healthy. But how often should I train CrossFit to stay healthy? Many CrossFitters are training 6 days on, and one day off, like for example Invicturs fitness/performance programming. But is it healthy just to have one rest day a week? And is it necessary to train so much to stay healthy?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:
Re: How often should I be training to stay healthy?

It sorta depends on what your definition of health is. For me, healthy is being able to do anything I want within reason and be in shape for it, whether it's pickup basketball, softball, getting talked into doing a 5K race, or 3 hours behind my drum kit. I train around 4 days a week (usually 2 on/1 off), depending on my schedule. I like to make progress without being so sore that I'm uncomfortable all day. I finally have found that in the past 3-4 months. Diet also helps as far as soreness and recovery. I never ate to perform very well until recently. It's made a HUGE difference.

As far as traditional medical health statistics, I want low blood pressure and cholesterol levels and a low resting heart rate. Regular exercise also keeps my stress levels down which keeps me well below my threshold for an Epileptic seizure. I don't train when injured or if I even suspect I'm close to injury. If I feel like I need another rest day or just some more sleep (like today) I do it. That would differ from a lot of people, but I'm 35, I don't compete for the most part and have more to lose in life if I can't go about my daily activities and family life pain free. Depsite all that, I'm in better shape and less discomfort than when I was regularly going to a Crossfit box. I would like to be leaner, but that's a whole different thing for me.

So whatever you feel is healthy and allows you to live your life the way you want, let it dictate your training level. Six days a week would kill me..lol
Old 03-08-2015, 12:37 AM   #3
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Jensen View Post
I have been training CrossFit for some years now, and will never compete, but just use it to stay healthy. But how often should I train CrossFit to stay healthy? Many CrossFitters are training 6 days on, and one day off, like for example Invicturs fitness/performance programming. But is it healthy just to have one rest day a week? And is it necessary to train so much to stay healthy?
There is no given amount of training that can keep you heathy as everyone is different.

I train 4 days a week mon,tis, thurs,fri and normally 1-1 1/2 hours and I am very rarely sick.

For some people traing this much is a sickness in its self. So you need to work out for yourself what works best without overtraing and causing injury to yourself but as you would put it keeping yourself heathy.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

You should always be training to stay healthy.

- Mark
Old 03-09-2015, 03:29 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

3-4 days a week with perhaps a couple of days where you are active lightly (walk, jog, hike, etc) seem to be pretty doable.

Nobody really needs to train 4 days a week, more like 3 plus a few light active days and generally one where you barely want to do anything (good luck on that, it's not gonna happen if you have kids and you'll probably still need to do some basic stuff like errands probably).

If you are talking about training hours, it'll probably be something like 2-3 sessions of 30-45 minutes and a few sessions of 15-30 minutes possibly more of walking or some other misc activity.

So we are tallking about 3-4 hours of training activity a week, possibly even 2-3.

I mean at some point, you are still going to have to walk here and there around the house and at the store and from your car to inside your work building and back. Outside to dump the garbage and pull some weeds and mow the lawn or rake leaves, etc.

Also, I think a lot of crossfitters and fitness enthusiasts cannot stand the withdrawal you get from not getting the hormones and endorphins released during working out/activity.

If you train hard enough, you'll end up loving a day of doing jack diddly squat. Unless of course you're always spiking preworkout or some other stimulants.