CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
John F. Klessinger

Profile:
Patella femoral syndrome

I am pretty sure I have patella femoral syndrome. It began years ago while sitting for long periods of time. Over the past few months it has intensified to the point that I have pain almost all the time while exercising, walking, driving, etc. I am 39 years old. I wrestled in high school and college and have coached ever since. I ran long distances for about 5 years and since been doing CrossFit for the past 6 years.

If anyone has advice, suggestions or input I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

John
Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Greg Spaight

Profile:
Re: Patella femoral syndrome

John, what have you tried so far?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
John F. Klessinger

Profile:

Honestly Greg, not much. It is now to the point it is really effecting things while before more of an annoyance. I just got voodoo bands and started some KStarr mobility work. Other than that, ibuprofen once in awhile and I wear knee sleeves most workouts for the past 7 months.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

What makes you think it's a mobility problem? Has any of that vodoo floss, or mobility work given any improvement that has been more than temporary?

Palpate around the back of your knee, between the 2 large tendons; more towards the lateral portion. Any really tender spots?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Megan Zetter

Profile:

PFPS is rarely a knee problem, but rather where you experience symptoms due to issues either up and or down stream. Meaning hips and ankles.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
John F. Klessinger

Profile:

First to answer Brian- I do not know if it is a mobility issue. I am only trying different things to remediate the pain and stiffness.

Ok Megan, thanks for your input. What do you suggest?

How can I begin to address the knee pain/throbbing/ and general issues? Where should i start per say?

I am getting x-rays in the next couple of days before I see a physician.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Ben Joven

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. Klessinger View Post
I am pretty sure I have patella femoral syndrome. It began years ago while sitting for long periods of time. Over the past few months it has intensified to the point that I have pain almost all the time while exercising, walking, driving, etc. I am 39 years old. I wrestled in high school and college and have coached ever since. I ran long distances for about 5 years and since been doing CrossFit for the past 6 years.

If anyone has advice, suggestions or input I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

John
I have similar pains...what worked best for me was building up my "posterior chain" region, i.e, my *** through squats, power cleans, and dead lifts.

If you strengthen everything surronding your knees, just as long as you're not doing any crazy Derrick Rose, stop/go types of movement, if you strengthen the entire posterior chain you should be good to go and will be able to go though out life with less pain.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
First to answer Brian- I do not know if it is a mobility issue. I am only trying different things to remediate the pain and stiffness.

Ok Megan, thanks for your input. What do you suggest?

How can I begin to address the knee pain/throbbing/ and general issues? Where should i start per say?

I am getting x-rays in the next couple of days before I see a physician.
X-rays aren't going to show anything, maybe some arthritic changes; nothing that will give you a true answer. I'd save your time. I'd also skip your physician who likely will not have much experience with knee pain in the active population.

Find a chiro, or PT, that works with athletes, and proficient with rehab and soft tissue techniques.

If you need help finding one, PM your zip code, and city.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
John F. Klessinger

Profile:

Funny, you said arthritic. That was the main reason to get x-rays..........to rule that out, hopefully. After research of the symptoms of PFS it sounds exactly like what is going on with both of my knees. To be more to the point, I first noticed this throbbing pain while sitting at a movie 15 years ago. It hasn't been till the last year where the throbbing extended beyond sitting. Squatting at times is painful at least until thoroughly warmed up. Lately though, a good warm-up doesn't solve the problem and my knees are painful during the whole workout. I squat, clean, snatch, etc. all the time.

I only think arthritis as a possibility because the are so stiff at times.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Funny, you said arthritic. That was the main reason to get x-rays..........to rule that out, hopefully. After research of the symptoms of PFS it sounds exactly like what is going on with both of my knees. To be more to the point, I first noticed this throbbing pain while sitting at a movie 15 years ago. It hasn't been till the last year where the throbbing extended beyond sitting. Squatting at times is painful at least until thoroughly warmed up. Lately though, a good warm-up doesn't solve the problem and my knees are painful during the whole workout. I squat, clean, snatch, etc. all the time.

I only think arthritis as a possibility because the are so stiff at times.
Arthritis is just a symptom, not the cause. Also, since it's in BOTH knees, even more of a reason to look elsewhere; more likely core and/or hip dysfunction.