CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Dakota Smith

Profile:
Are multivitamins necessary?

are multis a necessity when doing crossfit or just everyday health? i feel bad when i dont take them because i feel they help in many ways. what do yall think of them?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Jason Peacock

Profile:
Re: Are multivitamins necessary?

From my random reading, they don't do anything if you're eating a healthy diet. They're either giving you more of what you're already getting from food, or not nearly enough of what you're missing. Basically they're placebos.

And then the quality of the vitamins themselves vary widely, and how your metabolize the vitamins. Even if there's some good amount of something, it might not usable because it's in the wrong form or is barely absorbed if not consumed with fat, etc.

I'd focus more on making sure you eat a good diet, then address any possible deficiencies (like Vitamin D).
Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Dylan Farr

Profile:

Agreed.... Id like to say Id have a perfect diet, dont eat any crap just maybe not enough leafy greens. I supplement with one good multi and blue green algae every morning. Take krill oil, astaxanthin, and tumeric for inflammation
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

necessary? no, since billions of people live without them. helpful? perhaps. that depends on your diet and the vitamin you choose to take.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Michael Dries

Profile:

At best they'll fill a gap in your diet.

At worst you'll make your pee a litte more expensive.

Let's face it unless you're constantly revolving your vegetable, fruit and meat intake you'll be low in certain vitamines and minerals. Most people end up eating the same foods most of the time due to cost, availability, taste and convenience.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Smith View Post
are multis a necessity when doing crossfit or just everyday health? i feel bad when i dont take them because i feel they help in many ways. what do yall think of them?
Necessity? No.
Might they help? If your diet is terrible, maybe. THey might also do a little worse, and over time it's still hard to tell. There's only a few studies to suggest that it may actually have an adverse effect to take conventional multi's over a long period of time that are packed.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Becky Hanson

Profile:

I DO think multis and a few others (Vitamin D3 and fish oils) are necessary EVEN on a high quality diet. The reason being- No matter how many good veggies you are eating the soil DOES NOT have the amount or the quality of minerals it used to have therefor the veggie does not as well.

That being said- you also need a high quality multi rather than a cheap brand that will not get absorbed...otherwise you are literally flushing your money down the toilet.

If you are eating a healthy diet don't feel guilty if you miss a day or two but I'd continue to take them.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
BMH

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Hanson View Post
No matter how many good veggies you are eating the soil DOES NOT have the amount or the quality of minerals it used to have therefor the veggie does not as well.
Got a cite for that? Crop rotation does wonders for soil replenishment and I know more than a few local farmers that are not certified organic or any of that jazz that do it. That included season of fallow field too btw.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Hanson View Post
I DO think multis and a few others (Vitamin D3 and fish oils) are necessary EVEN on a high quality diet. The reason being- No matter how many good veggies you are eating the soil DOES NOT have the amount or the quality of minerals it used to have therefor the veggie does not as well.

That being said- you also need a high quality multi rather than a cheap brand that will not get absorbed...otherwise you are literally flushing your money down the toilet.

If you are eating a healthy diet don't feel guilty if you miss a day or two but I'd continue to take them.
So the soil does not have the amount of quality minerals it used to have but a synthesized version or a multivitamin using the same veggies to extract that micronutrient will? If the source of the micronutrient is not good enough because of the soil, what makes the product that uses the source better?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
David Barnes Langston Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Got a cite for that? Crop rotation does wonders for soil replenishment and I know more than a few local farmers that are not certified organic or any of that jazz that do it. That included season of fallow field too btw.
I agree. Not so sure about the soil "not having what it used to".