CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
David M. Schroeck

Profile:
Bogus Crossfit

I'm writing because recently my community now has three "boxes" running. Two affiliates and one non-affiliate. The "non" is not advertising CrossFit, however it is obvious that is what they are selling.
I've been training CrossFit for about 5 years, not wholly, but at the same time I employ most of the facets in my isolation workouts as well. I'm not level certified but I have a background in collegiate rowing as well as high intensity training. I found CrossFit easy to understand, I enjoy the simplicity of the movements and the philosophy behind the regimen. I quickly started building a home box in order to simplify my workouts. Now we have 3 boxes in town. I have no problem with the affiliate ones, but the non-affiliate I struggle with.
I understand the concept of paying your way, and that all good things come with a cost. I don't understand why someone would take a system that is offered free and bastardize it to make a dollar. Sure I use it at home, but I understand the risks. I know when I need to scale, how much rest I need, and proper nutrition. Why would anyone trust a non-certified, non-affiliate with their health? To me these "nons" are posing a hazard to anyone they train. I just feel like a method and philosophy I've grown to love are just loosing ground by the minute due to misrepresentation and sloppy teaching. Any insights?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: Bogus Crossfit

Have you tried this non-affiliate out, first hand? If not, how do you know the quality of training? Do you think taking a level 1 cert and paying the affiliate fee makes you a good trainer? What do you struggle with exactly?

Simplicity of movements? Have you tried to snatch? The snatch question is really not important to the whole theme of your thread, and Im probably looking too much into the 'simplicity' word.

Last edited by John C Corona; 09-12-2012 at 07:31 PM..
Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Snir Golan

Profile:

like John said, unless you know first hand how the non affiliate is training and who they are, you are simply assuming. for all we know, the coach in the non affiliate has been Crossfit for years and has many qualifications including a level 1 or 2 cert. just because they are not affiliated does not mean that they don't know what they are doing.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Russell Greene

Profile:

David,

If they do claim to offer CrossFit (it sounds like they don't, but just in case), then you should fill out CrossFit Legal's handy IP theft form: www.iptheft.crossfit.com.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snir Golan View Post
like John said, unless you know first hand how the non affiliate is training and who they are, you are simply assuming. for all we know, the coach in the non affiliate has been Crossfit for years and has many qualifications including a level 1 or 2 cert. just because they are not affiliated does not mean that they don't know what they are doing.
Pretty much.

It takes just a one-weekend seminar to become certified under CrossFit.

Is the person who does the seminar going to be more qualified or experienced than someone who has been in the industry for years?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Yep, CF only has legal protection for their trademarks. Exercise is nothing new, and anyone can run a gym - good or bad.

I'm more upset about gyms that did get their affiliation, advertise as Crossfit, and then do a ****-poor job that reflects badly on the community.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Randy Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Yep, CF only has legal protection for their trademarks. Exercise is nothing new, and anyone can run a gym - good or bad.

I'm more upset about gyms that did get their affiliation, advertise as Crossfit, and then do a ****-poor job that reflects badly on the community.
Definitely rings true. However almost as bad is when someone tells me "Crossfit? Yeah, I did Crossfit. This (insert globo name here) gym has a Crossfit class!"
Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
John Franklin

Profile:

They could also be in the process of affiliation-- it takes a little while. No harm in visiting and talking to the trainers.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
David Allen Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post
David,

If they do claim to offer CrossFit (it sounds like they don't, but just in case), then you should fill out CrossFit Legal's handy IP theft form: www.iptheft.crossfit.com.
Russell, the IP theft form is severely broken and cannot currently be used to submit potential infringement situations.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Russell Greene

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Allen Rogers View Post
Russell, the IP theft form is severely broken and cannot currently be used to submit potential infringement situations.
David,

I think I messed up with the link. This should work http://iptheft.crossfit.com/.

Please let me know if you have any more problems. Thanks.

(link is work/family safe)