CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Tim Dewyngaert

Profile:
Shoes...HELP

Hey folks,

My question is pretty short and easy. I am in serious need of some wide shoes that I can utilize as an all around crossfit shoe (wod, 800m runs, occassional lifts). I want something that isn't squishy in the heel and is super low profile. I have scoured the internet and online shoe sites..NADA ! I have settled on New Balance's new MT100 it a super low pro trail runner. But, I have a feeling they wont be wide enough and I'll have to ship 'em back. Please anyone who suffers from this affliction too, please lend a guy a hand and give me some info !!!

Thnx

- Dewy
Old 02-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Shoes...HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dewyngaert View Post
Hey folks,

My question is pretty short and easy. I am in serious need of some wide shoes that I can utilize as an all around crossfit shoe (wod, 800m runs, occassional lifts). I want something that isn't squishy in the heel and is super low profile. I have scoured the internet and online shoe sites..NADA ! I have settled on New Balance's new MT100 it a super low pro trail runner. But, I have a feeling they wont be wide enough and I'll have to ship 'em back. Please anyone who suffers from this affliction too, please lend a guy a hand and give me some info !!!

Thnx

- Dewy
my first thought was going to be a New Balance racing flat as New Balance is one of the few shoe companies that sells different shoe widths for some models. I am not sure that the particular model comes in different widths.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Rene' Hardee

Profile:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ (WFS)
Love mine. Use them at Crossfit all the time. And I have wide feet
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Jason Martin

Profile:

I have a pair of the MB M100's. The toe box is not what I would consider "wide". The heal is a 'bit' padded as well. Have you tried out Vibram's?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Shane Gibson

Profile:

I have VERY wide feet which produces a constant irritation in life in trying to find comfortable shoes. I recently found what I believe to be the perfect all around CrossFit should for me. I use them for everything except really heavy lifting days. Nike Sparq Free Trainers 09...or something like that:

WFS link: http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?site...701/pid-241256

There are many variations in colors and materials (i.e. if the toe mesh is perforated "leather" or typical running shoe type mesh, etc). You just have to see what you can find. I ordered mine from Footlocker and found a second pair at Luke's Locker. Good luck, I really hope this helps, I feel your pain, I have had to send back countless shoes because they were too narrow.

And by the way, my buddy with normal feet CrossFits in these as well and he loves them.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Vans Old Skools are a good option if your feet are too wide for Chuck Taylor's. I don't know that I would run a 5K in them, but they're flat and minimally cushioned so they're good for mixed modality type workouts and running in the 400-800m ranges. I wear them for pretty much every "in between" workout...basically anything that doesn't call for my lifting shoes or running flats.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Gibson View Post
I have VERY wide feet which produces a constant irritation in life in trying to find comfortable shoes. I recently found what I believe to be the perfect all around CrossFit should for me. I use them for everything except really heavy lifting days. Nike Sparq Free Trainers 09...or something like that:

WFS link: http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?site...701/pid-241256

There are many variations in colors and materials (i.e. if the toe mesh is perforated "leather" or typical running shoe type mesh, etc). You just have to see what you can find. I ordered mine from Footlocker and found a second pair at Luke's Locker. Good luck, I really hope this helps, I feel your pain, I have had to send back countless shoes because they were too narrow.

And by the way, my buddy with normal feet CrossFits in these as well and he loves them.
Nike Free's are nice shoes, but the heels are on the squishy side, and are not as useful for days where there is a significant lifting component.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Shane Gibson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmik Jones View Post
Nike Free's are nice shoes, but the heels are on the squishy side, and are not as useful for days where there is a significant lifting component.
Typical frees, yes. These Sparq trainer frees have a much lower/harder heel than typical nike frees. They are not as low and as hard as vans or chucks, but they are a good hybrid that allows you to do just about everything.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

I bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers KSO's. Then, after wearing them for a week crossfitting and as a daily wear shoe, I bought another pair so I can rotate them. I wear 'em constantly now and absolutely love them. Haven't found a workout I don't like doing in them yet. Ran the 5k from the main page this week and not a problem.

Although, I grew up on a farm and didn't wear shoes a lot, so maybe I'm just being nostalgic.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Tim Dewyngaert

Profile:

Hey Folks,

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll see how these New Balance's work out, I'll keep everyone posted... but I will def. have to try out some VFF's (eventually) and those Nike Sparq Frees are very promising.
Just to save myself the trouble of looking and trying them on.. I have always read and thought that a good pair of pumas would be perfect. but they look narrow.. I mean RE-DONK-U-LOUSLY NARROW anyone with first hand knowledge, please share.

Thnx and good wod's to all

Dewy