CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
David Joseph Danaher

Profile:
Buying Rings, KBells, and Med Balls

I'm starting to get more serious about my CF wods and I need to buy some equipment my strip-mall gym doesn't have. Mostly, I want to buy rings cause I'm tired of dreaming about muscle-ups. Does anyone have any good rings they'd like to recommend? I found some online for like $35, but I don't know if I trust them. Some nicer ones were $90. Sound more realistic? How about Medicine balls? My gym only goes to 12#. I found a 20# on sale recently for $60. Is that pretty good? I also found some KBells on sale for $1.29 a pound. I'm sure they're not the best quality but they'd suffice. Is there a good place online for all this stuff? I'm as concerned with quality as I am with price, so I'm really wanting to hear from people who have equipment they love and want to recommend.

-Dave
Old 02-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Buying Rings, KBells, and Med Balls

As far as rings go, we just got the new wooden Rogue rings. They can't be beat for $72 including straps. I can not tell the difference between them and the Norberts rings I bought for $125 without straps. (I think the straps on the Norberts cost another $30 or $40.)

We have several brands of rings at my gym, all are adequate and some are nicer than others, but the wooden ones are by far the favorite.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

David,

There are quite a number of vendors out there with all sorts of equipment. It can be a chore, to say the least, to try and locate decent equipment for a reasonable price. Ahmik named a very good company - - Rogue Fitness http://www.roguefitness.com (w/f/s) has produced some quality rings which tend to run about $70 - $75. Rogue also carries Ab-Mats (for sit-ups), bumper plates (if you want your own set for home), weight stands, C2 rowers, and medicine balls (Dynamax). The 20# D-Max ball runs about $110. I have one and love it (it is well made). Their kettlebells run about $1.50 per pound. This seems to be more the norm. If you can find a fairly decent Kb or set of them for $1.29 / lb. that sounds like a pretty good price.

There is also the Garage Gym http://www.theg2scart.com (w/f/s), which sells their own med balls (our box has one - - it seems also well made), bumper plates, and lots of other items.

Last, but not least, you can order a set of Elite EFX Rings from Ring Training http://www.ringtraining.com (also w/f/s). They no longer carry the Elite Rings in the U.S. (these were excellent) and have superceded them with the EFX. We have a few pair, (plus I bought myself a set) at our box. They are $90 or so, but well worth the money; have "quick-release" 16 foot long straps, and are made of space age plastics. I like them the best of all the rings out there.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
David Joseph Danaher

Profile:

Sounds like I have pretty much what I need. Thanks! I'm excited to finally get my hands on my own equipment!