CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Luke Hitt

Profile:
Garage Gym - Mats

I know there has been a lot of discussion on what kind of mats to put in your garage gym, but I searched and couldn't find the answer to my question.

I'm wondering if mats, either Rogue Mats or just stall mats from Tractor Supply Co are easily moveable? Meaning, can I leave them stacked/rolled up against the wall of the garage when the car is parked in there, and then just back the car out, throw the mat down, do a WOD, and pack the mat back up?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Ron Hoover

Profile:
Re: Garage Gym - Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hitt View Post
I know there has been a lot of discussion on what kind of mats to put in your garage gym, but I searched and couldn't find the answer to my question.

I'm wondering if mats, either Rogue Mats or just stall mats from Tractor Supply Co are easily moveable? Meaning, can I leave them stacked/rolled up against the wall of the garage when the car is parked in there, and then just back the car out, throw the mat down, do a WOD, and pack the mat back up?
The Tractor Supply mats you mention are 4 by 6 feet, 3/4 in thick and weight 90-100 lbs. They don't roll up well in my experience. Could you do it? Sure, but you'll probably be happier laying them down and leaving them.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hitt View Post

Dude, I just brought home a Rogue mat tonight actually. They do not fold or roll very well (but they will) and they are awkward as he-- to schlep around. You could do what you describe, but I suspect you'd get sick of doing it every time you work out.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

if you don't mind them getting a little dirty I've seen pictures of people's garages where they drive over the mats with no issues. The only thing I'd be personally worried about is oil from the car if it drips.

Though I've never tried this, but I'm guessing a horse stomping on a mat puts more pressure on it than a car with wider compressible tires.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Anthony Ricci

Profile:

I got some puzzle mats from Christian's -just enough to bail and throw the bumpers if needed. They are light but not as thick as stall mats but no sulpher smell.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Matthew Meyer

Profile:

I have 3/4" horse stall mats in my garage and I park on top of them every night. I occasionally have to nudge them back into place, but that's the only side effect.

But to answer your first question, no they are not what I would call easily movable. At ~100lbs per mat, you definitely can move them, but they are awkward, and its not something I want to do every day.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
Ardi Shero

Profile:

I've tried to lay them against the wall but they won't stay put. They tend to fall down.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
John McEneany

Profile:

Use interlocking anti-fatigue mats from Home Depot. They are 3' x 3' and cost around $20.00 each.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Andrew Sharp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Meyer View Post
I have 3/4" horse stall mats in my garage and I park on top of them every night.
I do the same thing. I haven't noticed any damage to the mats. I have to clean more often than if I didn't park on them but cleaning the mats is easier than moving them.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
Luke Hitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi Shero View Post
I've tried to lay them against the wall but they won't stay put. They tend to fall down.
That sucks. I figured if they didn't roll up I could at least pick them up and lean them up against the wall...