CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Geoffrey Riddle

Profile:
NYT Magazine article

I don't think anyone has posted this yet. There's a short piece on CrossFit in today's New York Times Magazine:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/ma...gin&oref=login

Moderators Note: This needs the "safe" designation (which it is, because it leads only to the login page).

Last edited by David Wood; 03-23-2008 at 08:25 PM..
Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: NYT Magazine article

Link here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/23/ma...l?ref=magazine (wfs)

In my opinion, although not quite a stupid as the last time the NYT tried to write about CrossFit, this author doesn't do much better. She emphasizes the sensational aspects of the workout (rhabdo, superfit madmen who revel in pain, "cult-like vibe") . . . sorry, but it gets old.

And in fact, quite inaccurate. The CrossFit community is probably one of the most diverse, least mindless set of people I've ever met.

I recognize that this NYT column is "The Medium" (a column dedicated to writing about new/digital media, particularly (only?) the Internet), and isn't trying to offer a comprehensive assessment of what it covers . . . just something sensational to send people to ("horrible car wreck! film at 11!").

Like I said, I get tired of it.

Last edited by David Wood; 03-23-2008 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: replaced link, removed unneccessarily nasty characterization of author's intelligence.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Becca Borawski

Profile:

At this point I think it says something about the laziness of the reporters, in terms of being creative and educating themselves, that they can't come up with something original to say about CrossFit and instead keep churning out the same "cult" article.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 03-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Geoffrey Riddle

Profile:

I also got the impression that this article was the product of lazy reporting. I wonder how many CrossFitters the author interviewed (I'm guessing zero).
Old 03-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

While I don't like people portraying us as a freakshow or a religious cult, we do give that impression a lot. T-shirts, Pukie, general attitude - it hardly says "we're a fun and completely normal group!" We only appear normal to each other because we know Pukie and the t-shirts are jokes (or at least exaggeration) as well as many of the things we say. Also, we know that the workouts aren't "excessive" - they or something similar is necessary if you want fitness. A stairmaster doesn't cut it, period.

I always try to make us seem normal to non-CF'ers. I give warnings about rhabdo like any responsible person but I apply the proper cautions and emphasize that it's not really likely to happen.

I know that on these message boards and the comments section, our newbie-scaring tendencies are more prevalent, but I would advise everyone to avoid that type of attitude when dealing with people in person.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
Aaron Maier

Profile:

Is it just me, or did the author end her article implying there was something inappropriate with honoring a fallen soldier with a dedicated workout? It left me feeling a bit chafed.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

The whole tone of the article is just wrong.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

While I agree that CrossFit can seem highly cultish at times, that article exaggerates it to an extreme.

Re: Aaron
Yeah, that bothered me too.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
Neil Khant

Profile:

We all know these workouts are not for everybody.

As most of us know they are scalable and it usually takes quite a while before a person can do the WOD’s as Rxed. (let alone at “superhuman” pace)

Most people would not work that hard to be able to do a workout that most see as crazy or excessive. To some that makes us look superhuman or crazy, as if we are preparing for some apocalyptic event.

We like to bash those that come in here and tell us we are crazy…which makes most think we are crazy.

We make fun of the treadmill walker, the guys curling 100 lb dumbbells, and anyone that doesn’t understand the Crossfit philosophy.

We are not “most people” and we do not want to be seen that way. Being here and doing the workout for over two years, I can say with confidence. Some of us are Crazy and should be seen that way. A lot of us like that we get sideways stare at the gym when working out.

I know I can complete workouts that most consider crazy, and in times that seem crazy.

I do Crossfit because it makes me feel good. I know that I am fit.
I can keep up with my kids.
I will be able to keep up with my kids as they get older.

Crazy doesn’t have to be seen as a bad thing. We all have our reasons to want to be Fit.
And this is how we do it here. You don't like go somewhere else. We don't want you anyway.

Some will read an article like that and never be swayed to try because of what it said about Crossfit.
Then people like us will read it and want to know more. You may be seeing these guys in the newbie section some time soon.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Quote:
We are not “most people” and we do not want to be seen that way.
Bingo. My thoughts exactly.