CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #31
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Is it worth it?

Most meat I eat on a regular basis or most I have ever eaten?

I haven't bee able to to train much recently due to a reoccurring muscle knot I get about once a year, so not much recently.

When I'm training, I eat .75 to 1lb at time, three times a day (I don't eat much meat at breakfast, I have a 6 egg omlete with some bacon).

I regularly eat a lb of bacon in one sitting (usually dipping it in a nut butter). Most was probably around 3 lbs.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #32
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Yeah I meant normally.

I thought maybe I was eating too much meat when I eat a pound at a time. I've been told I have portion control problems and I should only be eating between 5-8 ounces of meat in a sitting if I want to lose this stomach. I'd starve! That's like nothing.
I have to have my meat. Especially because I normally do Crossfit 3-4 times a week (and we do heavy lifting at my affiliate) plus rugby 2-3 times a week.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #33
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Peanut butter can be used to easily add calories to a diet to help someone gain weight. This works only if the diet has a solid foundation.

"Usually I'll have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for either breakfast or lunch. Sometimes for breakfast I'll eat toaster waffles with peanut butter and syrup. I try to eat a lot of peanut butter"

This is a ****ty diet.

Usually I'll have 5 eggs, some sausage or bacon and some veggies for breakfast. Then I'll make a shake with whole milk, peanut butter, yougurt and some fruit.

At lunch I'll have at least a half pound of meat (bbq brisket is good, so is pulled chicken), a big plate of veggies and a PB&J sandwich.
See attached image for my reaction. This whole thread is making me very happy. Mr. Cartwright, these men should inspire you to improve your diet and get serious about strength.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glorious.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	5766  

Last edited by Jacob Israel Briskin; 02-01-2010 at 01:04 PM..
Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #34
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Cartwright View Post
I try to eat as much protein as possible, and peanut butter has protein. 8 grams in every two tablespoons, and I will check out those links.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
(1) There are MANY better sources of protein, and
(2) My question was more one of "what objective you are trying to meet with that diet", not just "why are you eating so much peanut butter."

Just for the sake of asking...what are the first eight ingredients on your nearest can of peanut butter?

- Mark
Casey and folks,

I think Mark's concern isn't about the non-paleoness of the peanut butter, but rather that the OP is considering peanut butter a good source of protein...

as opposed to, you know, meat
Old 02-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #35
Tom Fetter

Profile:

You've come to the wrong place to get an unbiased opinion on whether it's worth it.

Bottom line - depending on your goals, it's absolutely worth it. CF is great at what it's great at, and the atmosphere and instruction in a good affiliate is well worth the entry price, if you've got it.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #36
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
I think Mark's concern isn't about the non-paleoness of the peanut butter,
That was one concern, but I was bypassing it because...

Quote:
the OP is considering peanut butter a good source of protein...

as opposed to, you know, meat
Bingo, and because many (if not most) mass-market peanut butters are filled with sugar and added hydrogenated oils.

- Mark

Last edited by Mark E. Wallace; 02-01-2010 at 01:52 PM..
Old 02-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #37
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Most meat I eat on a regular basis or most I have ever eaten?

I haven't bee able to to train much recently due to a reoccurring muscle knot I get about once a year, so not much recently.

When I'm training, I eat .75 to 1lb at time, three times a day (I don't eat much meat at breakfast, I have a 6 egg omlete with some bacon).

I regularly eat a lb of bacon in one sitting (usually dipping it in a nut butter). Most was probably around 3 lbs.
Jamie, you really need to go 70s Big. Seriously.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #38
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I'm already there, babe.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #39
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I thought maybe I was eating too much meat when I eat a pound at a time. I've been told I have portion control problems and I should only be eating between 5-8 ounces of meat in a sitting if I want to lose this stomach. I'd starve! That's like nothing.
Dude, I ate more than 8 oz of meat for lunch today. I can't imagine eating a pound of meat at a time, but I'm slightly smaller than you are. So, you're good .
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #40
Daniel Cartwright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I can't remember the exact article or who wrote it (Cordain or Wolf maybe), but I remember reading somewhere that you can't consider peanut butter or any other kind of nut as a good protein source because the protein is bound to the non-digestible fiber in the nut/legume, and as such isn't absorbed by the body.

Can anyone verify this? Everyone I've heard talk about bulking have always said that nuts are a good source of protein. Even on Marks Daily Apple they recommend almonds and almond butter as a good source of protein. He says its better than peanuts and peanut butter, but still acknowledges peanut butter as a source of protein saying "Almond butter is less toxic and allergenic than peanut butter, although the protein amounts are similar by comparison (between 6 and 8 grams, usually)"

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/top-ten-protein-sources/

Quote:
Just for the sake of asking...what are the first eight ingredients on your nearest can of peanut butter?
On the Jif, which is all we have right now, it said "peanuts and sugar". Normally I use the Adam's all natural which I would guess is healthier.

Thanks for all the help though! I'll start replacing peanut butter with other things like eggs and meat, though this will partially be dictated by what's available to me.